Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
GPS Navigation system

proudmama

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 3:18 am
Im looking to buy one for my husband. dont know anything about it. I want to simplest, cheapest one that will do the job of maps, traffic, MP3 maybe? anyone have anything to share? what else do I need to buy with it, a piece to install into the car?

YALT

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 6:36 am
We have a Tomtom. Very happy with it! We got one of the more expensive models. I don't know if the cheaper ones are not as good, or just not have all the fancy features.
DS did alot of research b4 actually buying it. From reviews online and around town, the Tomtom seems to be better than the Garmin.
Do Not Get The Nextar!
My father has that! It gets him more lost than he was! He hates it, and says he'd rather print off mapquest than use it!

If you do decide to go for a Tomtom, I'lll tell you the 2 things I don't like about it:
1) Sometimes it'll see you on the wrong side of the street. It'll tell you to make a U-turn. DON'T! Just continue for another 30 seconds, and it'll correct itself! It took me a bit of time to learn that! In downtonw Brooklyn (By Hamilton & 4th I think?) I went around in circles for ½hr trying to follow the directions, until I gave up and just continued the way I thought. Sure enough, it did correct itself. I think it mainly happens under other roadways. Although it does have reception there, I think it needs to work a bit harder. So for that first moment, it's a bit confused. I guess sort of like your eyes when you go into a dark room.
2) Sorry, I don't remember what the other thing was. As soon as I remember I will post it here. I don't use it daily, but when we have the car and go to places we're not 100% about we do. Or if we're going on a long trip. We'll be using it IYH next Sunday (erev YT) so if it's not too late I'll prob. have an answer for you by Monday.

But both things were still worth the purchase! They're just minor things you need to get used to.

YALT

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 6:36 am
Warning:!!!!!!!!!!
For those of you who plan to buy or already have but don't know this:
When you suction the GPS piece to your window - after you take off the piece, there is a mark from the suction cup. WASH IT OFF WITH A WIPE! Keep a pkg of wipes in the car! Car thieves look for those marks to target the cars that may have a GPS hiding inside! You don't want to pay for a smashed window! Even if you don't have the GPS inside! They are ready to take the risk! Are you?

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 6:41 am
Yeah, that happened to us Sad
We had the cradle in the glove compartment, but the actual GPS we always bring in the house. We found the cradle chucked on the floor in the morning, surrounded by broken glass.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 1:44 pm
YALT, DH knew that so he bought a mount that sits on the dashboard & we just take it off everytime we finish using the GPS.

mimishkl

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 4:35 pm
this is a realy cool site for all gadgets www.superdigitalcity.com u get it the next day! great prices as well

pecan

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 5:12 pm
I did a bit of research before buying - and bought the Garmin c550 which had better reviews overall than most other ones. So far we are very happy with it. It can sell for anywhere from 200 to 800. My sister in law has the tomtom and it's definitely worse than ours so I would research carefully before buying.

NativeMom

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 6:52 pm
YALT wrote:
Warning:!!!!!!!!!!
For those of you who plan to buy or already have but don't know this:
When you suction the GPS piece to your window - after you take off the piece, there is a mark from the suction cup. WASH IT OFF WITH A WIPE! Keep a pkg of wipes in the car! Car thieves look for those marks to target the cars that may have a GPS hiding inside! You don't want to pay for a smashed window! Even if you don't have the GPS inside! They are ready to take the risk! Are you?

Thanks for the advice YALT, I never even considered that. We have a suction cup mark on our windshield that wont come off Sad My DH left the suction on the windshield and the sun melted the plastic right to the window...
And to answer the question:
we have a garmin nuvi and LOVE it!

cindy324

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 8:41 pm
we have a Tom Tom, we're basically pretty happy with it except it has a feature called POI -Points of Interest, which I believe you can purchase the software for separately. We have it, and you can download everything from your favorite stores to kosher restaurants to shuls, so wherever you are, you'll see a little icon on the screen telling you that there's a shul or kosher restaurant near by. It's pretty cool, except that it's not up to date! It has more than once directed us to a supermarket that no longer exists, a gas station that's not there anymore, or even told us that the nearest gas station was 15 miles away, when we were parked right in front of one!

brooklyn

Post Wed, Oct 08 2008, 1:21 pm
I am actually very happi with VZ navigator from my cell phone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars