Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Interesting write-up by Obama speech-writer voting McCain

gryp

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 9:47 pm
http://www.thedailybeast.com/b.....ma/1/

Quote:
So Long, Democrats
by Wendy Button

A speechwriter for Obama, Edwards, and Clinton on why she’s voting McCain.

Since I started writing speeches more than ten years ago, I have always believed in the Democratic Party. Not anymore. Not after the election of 2008. This transformation has been swift and complete and since I’m a woman writing in the election of 2008, “very emotional.”

When I entered this campaign, it was at the 2006 Edwards staff x-mas party. My nametag read “Millie Worker.” When former Senator John Edwards read it, he laughed and said, “That makes you like my parent.” He went on to say, “Would you please come down to Chapel Hill so we can talk about what’s coming up.” I sat in John and Elizabeth’s living room for two and half hours. I left North Carolina, energized about politics for the first time in months.

It's a bit long for those interested in reading the entire thing.

avigailmiriam

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 9:48 pm
Interesting, thanks!

red sea

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 9:05 am
See these links do help the undecided - it gives thinking material. It really did bother me too that "Joe" got slandered and slaughtered and made fun of by the candidates & media, he should sue them for libel or s/t, they had no business bad mouthing him, he is not running for office, and he is just one of thousands of pple who asked questions to both candidates, if he made a point for one campaign & they use it - fine, but it shows s/t negative on the other party to belittle him instead of just sticking to they think otherwise.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 9:15 am
After the whole Swift Boat thing, nothing surprises me. Things sink lower than I ever thought possible. Personally, I think what plunged (pun intended) the whole Joe the Plumber thing into negativity was the fact that he was overused during the debate, so he became a kind of joke. Also, his connections made him a poor choice in the first place. I don't like to see ordinary citizens mocked, but I think mentioning him that many times made him into something other than being an ordinary citizen, so he became fodder, which is unfair, but it happens.

It's an interesting piece, GR. What it reminds me is that people change and evolve throughout their lives, and we all need to accept that we may change and evolve. When I was a kid, I argued with my father, a staunch Republican. As the years passed, he became the a devoted Democrat and liberal, someone who discussed politics nonstop, a C-Span and news addict. Like the speechwriter, people evolve.

Anyway, it was a good read, GR.

gryp

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 9:19 am
I hesitated to post it because I'm really truly sick of this whole thing, but I did anyway only because I thought it was interesting, how people and ideals change.

red sea

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 9:37 am
Did you see the bumper sticker that reads "Don't confuse the news with the truth" I love it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics