Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How many karats
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 2:50 pm
Amother, because I don't want to get bashed for this question. It's just curiosity. My diamond ring is not quite one karat. How about yours?

Mrs.K

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 2:58 pm
Honestly, I have no idea. I never asked, and I don't really care. People have commented that it's quite large but to me it never mattered either way. The guy that came with it was more important.

(Reminds me of that old Jewish joke that goes something like woman 1 was admiring woman 2's large diamond ring. She commented how she had never quite seen such a large expensive diamond before. Woman 2 explained that it was actually the famous Plotnik diamond, and while she was lucky to be it's owner, it came with a horrible curse. "What curse is that?" woman 1 wanted to know. Woman 2 answered, "Mr. Plotnik!")

grin

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 4:30 pm
didn't get a diamond ring. most of my friends got fake diamonds; I got a sapphire. Like you said, the guy is much more significant than the ring.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 4:34 pm
Mine is .78. I know, because it's a replacement diamond for my original, smaller, one which was stolen, and I am the one who picked out the replacement stone. I Even saved the "breifkeh" (little glassine packet diamonds come in when you get them wholesale). I think it's in my sewing box shock . We're talking over 23 years here...

drumjj

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 4:37 pm
no idea. and I dont really care. what I do care is at the moment after six and half years of marriage its starting to irritate my finger and its giving me a rash.

cubbie

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 4:43 pm
Mine is just under a karat - .98. I actually chose a smaller diamond, .7, when we went to look at rings but when dh went back to the shop with his father afterwards, his father told him that I was probably too embarassed to choose something bigger so he convinced him to upgrade it. Actually I didn't want dh to waste his money on getting a big diamond, because I considered it more important to keep the money for when we're married, who cares what size diamond, when there's rent and bills to pay.
But this reminds me of a very sad and true story I heard from a friend who was living in the Upper West Side, her room-mate got engaged and everytime her friends came over and asked to see the ring she said it wasn't ready yet, then one day she confessed to my friend that she was too embarassed to show anyone the ring as it was just under 2k and sooo small and she was considering breaking off the engagement because he obviously thought so little of her.

mandksima

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 4:45 pm
Mine's insured so I have it written down but I wouldn't even think of looking as I don't even wear it. Actually, I hate rings. In the summer, my hands sweat and swell and they make me hot and in the winter, my hands are cold and the rings slide off. My DH bought the stone and I told him I'd prefer a necklace made for it than a ring but my MIL said I'd regret saying that and insisted on a ring. Well, I got a beautiful victorian replicate setting which I love but I still would rather a necklace. I prefer colored stones anyway and silver.

I really only treasure it because of who gave it to me.

Zus

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 4:48 pm
.12 or .13, does that make sense??
Anyway, I'm not satisfied. When I picked out my engagement ring, I liked the look of it. It had a zirkonia and I wanted it replaced for a diamond. When my ring was ready, it looked different but I couldn't pinpoint what was different. I didn't like it as much as I did before. Turned out that the jeweler gave me a bigger diamond for the same price, in stead of a diamond of a better quality. I am still a bit sad over it. Maybe I'll have the diamond replaced one day.

myfriends715

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 8:47 pm
1.25... but in my community I have one of the smaller ones

Fabulous

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 8:55 pm
I think 1.65. But it looks huge because of the setting. I often joke with a friend of mine that I needed a big diamond and ring because I am a big girl, sh (petite) would look crazy with it. It's true.

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 9:34 pm
I thought it was one and change, but a jeweler friend said it's more like 2.

Aribenj

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 9:38 pm
Not sure...

But the ring doesn't fit me anyways Sad

octopus

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 10:23 pm
Zus wrote:
.12 or .13, does that make sense??
Anyway, I'm not satisfied. When I picked out my engagement ring, I liked the look of it. It had a zirkonia and I wanted it replaced for a diamond. When my ring was ready, it looked different but I couldn't pinpoint what was different. I didn't like it as much as I did before. Turned out that the jeweler gave me a bigger diamond for the same price, in stead of a diamond of a better quality. I am still a bit sad over it. Maybe I'll have the diamond replaced one day.

Well, I got a good diamond, and now, thinking back, I should've gone for bigger! (forget about quality! who can tell anyway?)

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 10:28 pm
I’m allergic to karats.

Fabulous

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 10:34 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
I’m allergic to karats.

Lol!

amother

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 11:53 pm
mines is 1.90 and its huge...

rachel6543

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 12:19 am
Mine is a small diamond... I'm not sure of the exact size. My MIL gave the diamond to my husband. The original setting was very, very ugly. My husband had the diamond reset in a very simple, but classic setting. He did a wonderful job and I love my ring. He was concerned when he gave me the ring that it wasn't very big and offered to upgrade later on when he could afford more. But actually, I like it very much. I like simple, classic jewelry. I'm just sad that I can't wear my ring now... I haven't finishing losing all the weight I gained from having my baby (only 8 more lbs to go, almost there!) ... I'm thinking about getting my ring re-sized.

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 12:27 am
no clue the size, but it's very pretty..

at my chassuna, my mom was like "I will marry him for that ring."

I said I just want him, do not care what the ring looks like

Tamiri

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 12:45 am
I am quite surprised that while a lot of you seem to be walking around with big stones, no one has mentioned what is really important: the four "C"s: Color, Clarity, Cut and Carat. The first three are a huge part of what make a stone more valuable, not davka the size. Do any of you know what color your diamond is? How many flaws and what type of flaws there may be? As for the Cut I assume everyone is aware of what they have, but it seems that the focus is on the carats. Cause that is all people really see. Other people.
For the record, being that I chose my own diamond, I know all it's info and had it mapped as well (for insurance purposes). You see, even though it's a small stone by U.S. standards and would certainly not turn any heads, since I was the one buying it, to replace a stolen one, I was intent on getting quality rather than quantity. I went to the bursa and requested from the seller to find me a practically colorless stone (raises the value), with as few flaws as possible.
Do any of you know what's going on inside your stone?
Now, the fact is, who really cares what the stone is worth: are you going to sell it? If you do, you will be disappointed at what you will get for it. I know women whose chattan could not afford a diamond: we he love his wife less and be a horrible husband?
If you have it your stone or pebble certified by a gemologist and insure it and subsequently LOSE it, you will get handsomely reimbursed, provided you have a separate rider to insure it.
Was anyone aware of that?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 1:07 am
.78 K VVS2
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics