Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Testing child for Learning Disability

amother

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 12:07 pm
Has anyone had their child tested for learning disability. Does the diagnosis mark the child for life? Can anyone recomend someone really good in New York who does testing?
Any other info will also be helpfu

ffbmom

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 1:07 pm
This really depends on what the issues are. Who is recommending the testing? In my line of work, I am the one who creates the IEPs for teachers to follow. I would strongly recommend going to a psychologist who specializes in these issues. Depending on the issue, this does not necessarily go with the child for life. There are many strategies and tactics that a child can learn to cope with whatever he has. Also, the IEPs are a work in progress and must be reviewed every year, with the parent's input. Please pm me if you have any questions.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 1:16 pm
We are also looking into it. The good evalutors in the NY area charge around 2000 - 4000 $$$ shock . Good luck.

ffbmom

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 6:49 pm
Does your child's school not offer it for free? Only thing is there may be a waiting list.

manhattanmom

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 7:50 pm
ffbmom wrote:
This really depends on what the issues are. Who is recommending the testing? In my line of work, I am the one who creates the IEPs for teachers to follow. I would strongly recommend going to a psychologist who specializes in these issues. Depending on the issue, this does not necessarily go with the child for life. There are many strategies and tactics that a child can learn to cope with whatever he has. Also, the IEPs are a work in progress and must be reviewed every year, with the parent's input. Please pm me if you have any questions.

You create the IEPs? I thought that was a process that involves teachers, related services, the child's parents, and the child if age appropriate....

Coffee3

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 10:48 am
My son had testing done by the board of ed. He got a psychological test too. It was recommended that he get private testing but the place I wanted wasnt able to take me. So I got free testing from the board of ed. The person I got was a frum lady in Queens. That was what was used to help the school decide to put him in special ed. I dont think he will be marked for life. First of all learning or speech disability can always improve. Second of all, they teach the child how to adapt and get around his disability. My son has memory problems and they help him with that. He also has trouble concentrating but has really improved since the beginning of school this year. Third of all, he is in special ed and is learning the same thing as my daughter who is in regular class.
It was devastating to find out that he needs special ed, but he is learning now and would not have learnt anything in a regular class. Last year (1st grade) I went to the teacher's meeting hating the teachers. This year (2nd grade) I was smiling more.
Good Luck! When I think of the girls in my class who never learnt a thing, I think special ed is a wonderful invention.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children