Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Seminary girls have changed?
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 2:31 am
"flippin out" interesting term I would probably connotate that to more showing though ... sounds a little flipped ...

careful upon saying anything - these skirts might look long if they actually put on mini skirts ...

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 4:44 am
Thank you green. Why am I feeling so ignored these days? Does my breath smell funny or is my shirt on backwards?

mimivan

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 5:08 am
Just don't start a thread about why you feel ignored..I'm sure you won't Very Happy
I am hereby not ignoring you Aidelmom! Consider yourself unignored!

(and BTW, did you get my pm?)

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 5:09 am
I did and replied. Is your box full??

mimivan

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 5:11 am
oh...that might be the reason...no wonder I was feeling ignored.. Very Happy

found it! Txs...now back to seminary girls...

Emee

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 6:12 am
I think when the girls call you to come for shabbos you coudl ask them to dress appropriately and explain what you mean. when I was in sem I had this a few times. The person told me over the phoen to wear skirts 4 inches below the knee and tights etc. I was charedi so it was fine for me but this was a standard request that these people asked of their guests. I also recently set soem university students up with a family and the mother asked me to ask the girls to dress tzniusly.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 6:16 am
Emee wrote:
I think when the girls call you to come for shabbos you coudl ask them to dress appropriately and explain what you mean. when I was in sem I had this a few times. The person told me over the phoen to wear skirts 4 inches below the knee and tights etc. I was charedi so it was fine for me but this was a standard request that these people asked of their guests. I also recently set soem university students up with a family and the mother asked me to ask the girls to dress tzniusly.

I think I would have found that offensive. It is insulting that someone would think that I wouldn't know enough to dress to tzniusly.

Emee

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 6:40 am
I was insulted at first but she said something liek I don't know you and I have had girls in the past blah blah blah I can't remember exactly but she did it in a tactful way. Keep in mind she was talking to me over the phoen and I was coming from a sem where you couldn't be sure. It was a gatehead type place for girls from MO backgrounds. So the girls leaveing were very BY and the girls coming in were very MO.

Personally I couldn't do it but soem peopel could pull off such a comment.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:09 am
cassandra wrote:
tomorrow wrote:
but a few have been a good six inches or more above the knee.

Most of the good, MO seminaries would not accept this. Either way I don't think there is much you can do about it except for not inviting them.

6 Inches = 15.24 Centimeters according to wikianswers

Ok, this is pushing it unless they had pants under. I agree that most places, except those who don't have a dress code at all, don't agree to this. I can think of (light) MO schools where (almost) everything is tolerated. This would go. But these girls do not go to sem!

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:17 am
chavamom wrote:
OK, back in the dark ages when I was in seminary, the NYC girls wore skirts that just covered their knees if they didn't move (no, it wasn't a BY type-seminary). I wore long skirts. They told me that while long skirts might be fine in the Midwest, it would never pass in NYC. So I don't think this is something "new".

and when I was in sem the girls wore skirts tha basically sweeped the floors....

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:17 am
baba wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
6 inches above the knee does not sound like any kind of Orthodoxy I know, unless they are letting loose while their parents aren't around, and the seminary is very lenient?

Or they wouldnt wear it in sem either! I've seen the it with some of my friends (not talking bout sem girls), they wear leggings under it and suddenly think it doesnt matter that the skirt/dress is quite short.

I see that too.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:18 am
cassandra wrote:
In my community a lot of kids allow themselves youthful indiscretions in high school and then go to Israel and become very makpid on things they had never cared much about in the past (covering elbows, wearing stockings, etc.) It sticks for some, some go back to where they started, and some end up in the middle. (I've always been in the middle so I never really experienced that.)

some go wild when in Israel, because they feel "free", far away from parents, etc...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:20 am
Emee wrote:

Asking for chumros is pushing it...
I understand asking for a "knee length skirt" and hoping for the best, but 4 inches below the knee? and with tights?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:20 am
miriamnechama wrote:
chavamom wrote:
OK, back in the dark ages when I was in seminary, the NYC girls wore skirts that just covered their knees if they didn't move (no, it wasn't a BY type-seminary). I wore long skirts. They told me that while long skirts might be fine in the Midwest, it would never pass in NYC. So I don't think this is something "new".

and when I was in sem the girls wore skirts tha basically sweeped the floors....

many still do, especially in charedi sems

tomorrow

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:57 am
I don't know what uggs are, but they have had tights on. I warned them that it's pretty cold here at night, and if they'd like to daven at night by the Carelebach minyan, it's outside and colder. Thinking about it later, I think it's bugging me more for my girls, who DO notice everything and ask about everything, more than the boys. My eldest daughter is 7 and very much testing the waters as to what is okay and what isn't and why. The BY girls come dressed just fine, as do the girls in an Israeli school, who follow our minhag hamakom of long, full skirts, yes socks or no socks, but just plain, tzanua clothing. I'm not into making everyone follow what we do here, but the short business was too much of a contrast.

chavamom

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 11:38 am
Ruchel wrote:
miriamnechama wrote:
chavamom wrote:

It don't know which "charedi sems" you are talking about, but the skirts that sweep the floor don't fly in BY. Supposedly those "aren't tznius" either (or the Israeli version, they are "rechovi").

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 11:40 am
chavamom wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
miriamnechama wrote:
chavamom wrote:

It don't know which "charedi sems" you are talking about, but the skirts that sweep the floor don't fly in BY. Supposedly those "aren't tznius" either (or the Israeli version, they are "rechovi").

I had in mind a big Chabad sem in Paris.
Around here things aren't "not tznius" because they are in fashion in the Dati leumi world in Israel, except I must say in some "fringes".

OldYoung

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 12:06 pm
chavamom wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
miriamnechama wrote:
chavamom wrote:

There are plenty of BY girls walking around in Junee skirts that sweep the floors.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 2:32 pm
I have lots of long skirts b/c they're all old, but long skirts are getting harder and harder to find, and I'm a shrimp, yet! It may be getting hard for the sem girls to find long skirts, too, and they're making do with just barely knee length. OTOH, 6 inches above the knee is hard to justify unless the girl is a giant.

How is the rest of their gear? If the skirt is short and the blouse scooped and tight, it's probably not just a long-skirt shortage. If the blouses are loose, opaque and high-necked, then maybe it really is a matter of not being able to find anything longer.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 21 2008, 4:39 am
I agree zaq, that there are seasons/years I don't buy ONE skirt. I'm 5'10 which doesn't help. But sometimes I find plenty (plenty for me is 2 or 3) in Gap or H&M, and sometimes.... no. Last year in summer it was shorts everywhere and a few mini skirts (not short, mini). This year it is tunic + leggings. I gave in to the leggings, but under a skirt.

Yes, we're dependent on what's sold. It is true. And Jewish owned shops are not better. Sometimes, even shops of frum owners (think Yiddish name, huge mezuza, etc) sell not just untznius but trashily so.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics