Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Making $$ blogging

sky

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 8:13 pm
My SIL gives parenting courses and she is good. She doesn't have a degree but was trained in a method.

She would like to do more. She figures do something online to reach a lot of people. Like maybe a blog, or something else online like parenting articles or questions and answer forums and make $$ off of it. She is not looking to gear it toward the jewish community.

She came to me because I work with computers and she doesn't know a thing about them.

Honestly, I have no clue how you earn any money off of blogging. I know there are imamothers who do it but I just don't get how it works.

Can anyone explain this to me in clear terms? And do you have any idea how this could work? or if it would work?

thanks.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 8:30 pm
surprisingly, I know a little something about this even though this isn't my field--- I have friends in this field.

first you need a niche--- in her case, being a parenting expert is great.

basically you create a blog and a squeeze page or some sort of subscription module.... build your list (there are teleseminars and classes on how to do this most effectively)..... create your blog and made it full of interesting content..... create freebies and newsletters to send out to your list. Get your list--- 100 people, 1000 people, 10,000 people (my friend Carrie has a list of 50,000 -- ack!)...... interested in really getting to know you-- following what you're doing---- get them desperate to know what you next have to say about your content........ this can take 6 months to a year.

and then monetize your blog. Offer something SMALL for sale (an ebook for instance) and advertise it FIRST to your subscribers. Have a teleseminar with a small subscription fee to whet their appetite to get to know you even better..... once you've sold a teleseminar to 300+ people, and people are talking about you seriously, it's time to step it up a notch and create a month long boot camp program---- those programs go for $300 or so (I just took a bootcamp for over $500)...... getting 100 subscribers to a $300 bootcamp is a $30,000 few months of work right there... it's HARD work--- you need VA's to create the cds and binders and stuff to mail to participants--- but once she's taken a few bootcamps and has a really good list and blog, she'd be up to the task of doing her own bootcamp--- I've seen it happen with people.

Honestly, if I were a subscriber to her blog and got to know her and trust her and had taken several teleseminars with her and read her ebook, I'd be up to taking a telephone parenting class for $300 or so.... there are lots of people like me out there wanting information and willing to purchase it.

The FIRST THING she needs to do is join twitter and get to know people..... there are lots of blogging experts there, and I personally can hook her up with those I know well, so pm me if she's interested in joining twitter. MOST of the people on twitter are there to get to know people to promote their business and so getting to know the blogs of her twitter friends and hiring the same people to help her with her content, squeeze page, and blog, will help her immensely.

I THINK a friend of mine is running a bootcamp soon on this very topic actually which might really help her, so pm me for more info if she decides to get started with the beginning steps soon.

sky

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 9:40 pm
Wow Twins Mommy. Thanks for all that info and taking the time to write it up. I'm going to pass it along to her. I don't know how much effort she is looking into putting into this. She is also very not computer literate.

She mentioned that she would love to get someone to do the work and she would write the articles but I don't know how she will manage to do that. I would love to do it for her but just don't have the time.

this helps me understand better how it is possible.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 9:58 pm
I think most beginners hire people to do the squeeze page and basic website structure, use aweber to help with automating the subscription list, and just create the content themselves while learning some of the computer technical stuff along the way so they don't have to hire out for every separate web page.

It can get expensive in the beginning though---- people spend thousands before they're at the point where they're making thousands... but then they've created an empire which will pay and pay and pay over and over.

glad this info is helpful!

sky

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 9:28 am
And what you added is also helpful. I'm going to pass it along to her.

I found this website last night:

http://www.ultimateparenting.c......html

And it gave us an idea of what is done (she charges like $95 for a phone call and $9500 for 9 month teleconference). It looks like a ton of work to setup but it shows what is possible.

Are there any other ideas of ways to do this without as much work or investment making less $$.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 9:48 am
She can start a free blog on blogger.com and start posting content daily or every other day. Then, she can sign up as an affiliate for various products online that are in line with her topic. Every time a sale will be made through one of her links - she will get commission. Later on, she can start putting out her own free reports. Then she can move on to a paid for report and then she can put out an "ebook" which people will pay for, once they know and respect her. She can also do JV's (joint ventures) with other marketers who already have mailing lists. One whose list I'm on comes to mind - Ellen Braun's. I think it's called Small Souls or something like that. She's a frum woman. She already has a huge list.

sarahzeldman

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 7:49 am
Twin Mommy's advice is great, but it takes time to create the site, build a following and monetize it. Another way to make money by writing online is with associated content. The advantage is that you can start making money right away, without having to create a site at all. (Not a lot at first, but the $ grows over time) I just did an interview about it on WAHMTalkRadio.com - here's the link to the show.

http://www.wahmtalkradio.com/b.....-249/

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 8:06 am
I believe that Associate Content is only open to writers from the U.S. (and Canada?)
In any event, I would rather be writing to promote my own products or affiliate products than for someone else's site. Unless I would want to make a living from writing.

BTW I'm on your list, Sarah. You've certainly done a nice job designing, writing and building a list.

sarahzeldman

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 8:11 am
I think associated content is open to english speaking writers, but I'm not sure about that.

You can write to promote your own stuff. It won't work with promoting affiliate stuff.

And thank you for the compliment Smile

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 8:13 am
sarahzeldman wrote:
I think associated content is open to english speaking writers, but I'm not sure about that.

I can't write for them from Israel.

sarahzeldman

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 8:35 am
Sad I'm sorry about that. Just trying to help. Smile

If you have any more questions about blogging, making $ online -- feel free to send me an email.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers