Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Arranged--The Movie
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 7:28 pm
Another thing in my experience you don't go to one shadchan who has 15 prospects for you, lol if only..(though with these exaggerated weirdos I don't know if you can call them that) you call up as many as you can or someone you know suggests a guy..

You would wear white socks? Though truth to tell I don't remember if she wore them on the first date or just stam

interesting about the uniersity library - I wouldn't know I'e neer been in one.

Raizle

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 7:39 pm
Aidlemom wrote:
sorry one key on my keyboard is broken.

"v" ?

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 7:40 pm
Aidelmom wrote:
Another thing in my experience you don't go to one shadchan who has 15 prospects for you, lol if only..(though with these exaggerated weirdos I don't know if you can call them that) you call up as many as you can or someone you know suggests a guy..

You would wear white socks? Though truth to tell I don't remember if she wore them on the first date or just stam

interesting about the uniersity library - I wouldn't know I'e neer been in one.

I would wear white socks, why not? Truth be told, DH and I dated while we were university students and just starting our careers. Most dates took place int he evenings. He'd wear jeans, I'd wear a long denim skirt, a long sleeve t-shirt and usually one of my pairs of crazy socks from my collection.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 7:40 pm
Raizle wrote:
Aidlemom wrote:
sorry one key on my keyboard is broken.

"v" ?

LOL at least you know they're not typos!

Raizle

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 10:00 pm
LOL
well I got suspicious by keforim and uniersity pretty much gave it away.

octopus

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 10:09 pm
my sister and I are watching right now. We're having a good laugh about the dates. What's up with the really old guys?

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 10:19 pm
octopus wrote:
my sister and I are watching right now. We're having a good laugh about the dates. What's up with the really old guys?

Comic effect, I assume. If you watch the whole monologue by that Ukrainian guy she goes out with...

I was nearly crying with laughter by the end...

anuta

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 10:25 pm
The Ukrainian guy is from the same city I grew up in! He is really realistic, I think they got a real russian immigrant to play him.

SingALong

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 11:22 pm
how long should it take to download? I clicked the link, pressed pause, and its taking ages. is there a faster way to do this?

SingALong

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 11:36 pm
never mind I just checked on netflix I can download it more easily. also better quality picture

supermama2

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 11:40 pm
it plays automatically for me w/o downloading. Video is very choppy. Any suggestions?

anuta

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 11:43 pm
SarahO. wrote:
it plays automatically for me w/o downloading. Video is very choppy. Any suggestions?

I think its a pirated picture, that's why its free - and choppy

supermama2

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 11:47 pm
From where do you suggest downloading it?

marina

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 12:21 am
if you have netflix, it is playable from there.

fish123

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 12:30 am
I thought it was painful to watch...I've never really been to Brooklyn but please tell me I'm not the only one who found that ridiculous and unbelievable.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 2:58 am
Just a quick question. Is it only the Jewish girl that starts questioning her faith and ways of life or does the Muslim girl do that as well? It really wasn't clear from the trailer.

She does look like she chooses the frum way of life in the end, however, from the trailer it seemed to focus on the Jewish girl and not the Muslim. I wonder about the movie itself. Do they go through similar questioning? Do they each have wacky husbands suggested to them? Are both sets of parents similar?

I don't enjoy many of these types of films because often frum Jews are denigrated, at least to some extent, and there is an heavy dose of anti-zionism. Don't know about this film.

I am not watching much t.v. or films anymore...just grew out of it. Before giving my time I really want to know more about it.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 3:17 am
only the jewish girl questions her faith - I think it does focus more on the jewish girl and she definitly has more wacky dating scenarios though the muslim girl does meet one she doesnt like.

I'm not sure about the denigrating part. Its a caricature - if you know the scene its funny and outrageous - if you don't and you think its typical ok that may be denigrating.

There are some thoughtful parts which in a way show the good likethe dialouge between the principal and the girls about their lifestyle.

For the most part I didn't get the feeling that it was putting down frumkeit - but thats just my opinion.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 3:19 am
Aidelmom wrote:
only the jewish girl questions her faith - I think it does focus more on the jewish girl and she definitly has more wacky dating scenarios though the muslim girl does meet one she doesnt like.

I'm not sure about the denigrating part. Its a caricature - if you know the scene its funny and outrageous - if you don't and you think its typical ok that may be denigrating.

There are some thoughtful parts which in a way show the good likethe dialouge between the principal and the girls about their lifestyle.

For the most part I didn't get the feeling that it was putting down frumkeit - but thats just my opinion.

Well if it is centering on the Jewish girl questioning her faith, and not both girls, and if it is only the Jewish girl that is has the wacky dates, and only the Jewish girl that is told her faith is holding her back and she needs to bend a little, than it is voicing prejudice against Judaism, even if she remains faithful in the end and is fairly typical of movies of this sort (Jews and Muslims can be friends. See here. Jews bend.)

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 3:26 am
Well they're both told its holding them back- but it doesn't- as far as the principal telling them to "let loose"
otoh the girl is told by her mothr and shadchen that she is too picky - is that what you mean about bending?
I do hear what you're saying about the wacky dating.hat did rub me the wrong way.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 3:33 am
I guess after nearly 51 years I'm too use to Jews being told they are too religious and need to bend to accomadate (name the group). I've seen too many such films, read too many such books. It is always the Jews who question who give who change to understand the other group.

If you follow any of the efforts here in Israel to get peace between Jews and Muslims, same story. Muslims stick generally have a version of peace that means Jews give up and the Jewish version ends up being one of concession.

This is one Jew who is tired, sick and tired, of being told Judaism is the problem and if only we would is the solution.

I'm tired of Jews giving over, giving in and giving up. I'm tired of concession.

I didn't see the film, so I don't know what questions are raised, but I'm not willing to waste my energies on a film that just states "if only Jews would...." in some fashion or other.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics