Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Why do we dip challah in salt 3x

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:58 am
so why do we dip our challa in salt - if I recall it has to do with the shulchan in the mishkan ... I've always heard it should be 3 times ... does anybody know why ... and how come I don't see many people do the 3 times - do they not know - do people merely have dif minhagim on the same dip & what are those minhagim ...

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:51 am
I never heard of dipping in salt 3 x.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:57 am
I don't think it is a serious minhag.. more like something you get used to... like when you're painting you often find yourself dipping a the brush a few times in the paint... or when applying facial powder.. but I can be wrong...

Fabulous

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:58 am
Mimisinger wrote:
I never heard of dipping in salt 3 x.

Me neither.

wanderer

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 10:06 am
I thought this was about dipping in mikvah... Never heard of three times in salt yet.

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 10:24 am
LOL and I thought it was a new edition of the Mah Nishtana. LOL

bnm

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 10:35 am
In the Meros Hashabos book it said it"s a segulah, I think for parnasa.

Ilovechoumous

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 10:59 am
I also thought the q was for the mikva, lol.
dh's minhag is to do this, and say, Hashem Melech, Hashem Malach, Hashem Yimloch Leolam vaed

no idea why

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:04 am
Chocoholic wrote:
I don't think it is a serious minhag.. more like something you get used to... like when you're painting you often find yourself dipping a the brush a few times in the paint... or when applying facial powder.. but I can be wrong...

a minhag is neither serious or that funny ...

but just don't let your new puppy in the paint ... Wink

it is definitely done - my question is why ??? there is a connection the the lechem haponim in the mishkan ... now - I'm not that learned - but would like to some details ...

Metukah

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:06 am
It was spoken about recently at home! All I heard is that it is great inyan to dip it 3 times! I'll ask why and let u know!!

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:11 am
by the way silly gooses ... while we dip 3x in the mikva - we have a mikva forum for that querie Wink

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 11:42 am
okay - any kool answers here ???

hannah95

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 5:43 pm
Never heard of it. DH eats the crumbs of the halla for parnassa though.
H.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 5:46 pm
I've heard of the crumbs too
heard of not eating the ends or you'll forget What

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 6:30 am
eating the ends=forgetting for men, and easy childbirth for women (maybe "easy" bc we will forget it faster?!?!)

But I was also told by a mashpia that's a bubbe maaseh.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 11:20 am
why is one a bubbe maiseh and the other a segulah ... simply some do some while others do others ... they're all simply extra things that may (or may not) help ...

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 11:37 am
We always dip in salt, but never heard of 3X.

roza

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 11:41 am
I happen to read about this awhile ago and I found some explanation on askmoses:

Quote:
According to Kabbalah, salt, which is bitter, represents Divine Severity, and bread, the staff of life, represents Divine Kindness. We don't want to sprinkle severity atop the kindness ... rather we wish to overpower the severity with kindness. On an even more mystical level, the gematria (numerical value) of the word Lechem (Hebrew for bread) is 78. We dip the bread three times dividing the energy of 78 into 3 = 26, which is the gematria for G-d's name (the Tetragrammaton). This reminds us of the verse (Deuteronomy 8:3) "man does not live by bread alone, but rather by, whatever comes forth from the mouth of the Lord does man live."

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 12:05 pm
roza wrote:
I happen to read about this awhile ago and I found some explanation on askmoses:

Quote:
According to Kabbalah, salt, which is bitter, represents Divine Severity, and bread, the staff of life, represents Divine Kindness. We don't want to sprinkle severity atop the kindness ... rather we wish to overpower the severity with kindness. On an even more mystical level, the gematria (numerical value) of the word Lechem (Hebrew for bread) is 78. We dip the bread three times dividing the energy of 78 into 3 = 26, which is the gematria for G-d's name (the Tetragrammaton). This reminds us of the verse (Deuteronomy 8:3) "man does not live by bread alone, but rather by, whatever comes forth from the mouth of the Lord does man live."

Thumbs Up exactly what I wanted to hear ... thank you thank you thank you !!! Mr. Green Tongue Out Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics