Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Steaming

Crayon210

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 7:50 pm
What exactly does "steaming" vegetables mean? How is it done? How does it compare health-wise to other methods of preparation?

Thanks!

elisecohen

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 8:00 pm
Steaming means cooking the vegetables over a small amount of water, with the water not touching the vegetables (or dumplings, or whatever is being steamed). The water-soluble nutrients are not washed out, no fat is added, and heat-responsive nutrients like lycopene are improved. I have a typical steamer insert--a sort of accordion or umbrella mechanism that expands to fit the bottom of any pot, with feet to hold the contents on top above the water level. I put water at the bottom of the pot (about 1"), put in the steamer, put the food on top, cover the pot, and cook for as long as needed.

elisecohen

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 8:01 pm
I forgot to add that you can generally also steam in the microwave--just put a little water at the bottom of a microwavable container and put the food in, cover and "nuke."

Crayon210

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 8:03 pm
Where would I get this steamer insert?

elisecohen

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 1:42 pm
Target has 2 sizes; look in any store's cookware dept. Here you can find them in Safeway, etc, as well as Kohl's, Target and so on

sarahd

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 4:47 pm
I bought a bamboo steamer yesterday and was also wondering how to go about steaming stuff. Thanks!

Now, can we have suggestions for foods that are good/improved by steaming?

Crayon210

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 5:36 pm
Great idea, thanks for bringing that up too!

elisecohen

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 5:59 pm
Broccoli, carrots, cabbage, green beans, peas, corn, spinach, etc. I would not try potatoes or other foods which need to cook for a very long time, though. Many all-purpose cookbooks have a guide or list for how long to cook various veggies by different methods.

chen

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 7:45 pm
if you don't have a steamer, use a heatproof strainer or colander.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 10:02 pm
Oh, cool idea. That works well?

chen

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 9:07 am
Crayon210 wrote:
Oh, cool idea. That works well?

as long as the colander or strainer fits completely into the pot so that you can put the lid on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics