Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Yapchik Emergency!!

debsters1101

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 8:41 am
Hehe my title is making me giggle.
anyway
all the recipes on here for yapchik (yaptzik? yupchik?) say "just make a normal potato kugel recipe". my normal potato kugel calls for 6 potatoes. I have a 5 quart crock pot. is 6 potatoes going to give me enough batter or should I double the recipe??
also, unofficial poll- do you take the bones out of the flanken before you put it in the crock pot? one person said she does so I took the flanken out of the freezer so that I could take the bones out of it but its still quite frozen, I dont know if it will defrost enough before shabbos.
also, when should I start the crock pot if I want it to be good by say noon on shabbos day?

Fabulous

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 8:53 am
I don't know about the yapchick, but it does sound like a good idea to double or at least 1.5 times your recipe. I don't take out the bones, but once it's cooked and if the bone's look little, I sometimes take them out. Start your crockpot NOW! It's pretty late already because the food has to be at least somewhat cooked before the zman. Hatzlacha!

debsters1101

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 9:01 am
thanks fabulous I lined my crock pot with a tinfoil "blech" so I have the option of starting the crock pot right before shabbos when everything is raw.
I guess I have 2 options- now or right before shabbos.
what do you say ladies?

patriot

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 9:09 am
start it now. even with a blech, you cannot cook on shabbos, you can only halachically keep it warm. so the food must be cooked by the zman.

debsters1101

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 9:14 am
you're freaking me out.
I always learned that if you have a lining in the crock pot you can start the chulent right before shabbos so everything is raw.
dont tell me ive been doing bishul all these years.

patriot

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 9:19 am
I dont want to say that. what I know is that the three conditions for keeping things warm on shabbos is that the flame has to be covered, the food must be cooked, and I forgot the third. thats why I bring my soup to a full boil before putting it on the blech. liquid is "cooked" at boiling point.

thats all I know... but im no posek...

Tehilla

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 9:21 am
don't freak out debsters. there are opinions on what "cooked" means. just call your rav to double check!

canadamom

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 9:21 am
call your LOR!!
as far as I remember from school, a blech is only good when something is already cooked and you take it off the flame and want to return it, so you need 3 conditions: You have to still be holding it, You have to have in mind that you're returning it to the flame, and a covered flame I.e. a blech

Barbara

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 9:30 am
canadamom wrote:
call your LOR!!
as far as I remember from school, a blech is only good when something is already cooked and you take it off the flame and want to return it, so you need 3 conditions: You have to still be holding it, You have to have in mind that you're returning it to the flame, and a covered flame I.e. a blech

Please don't freak. I've never done it myself, but I recall reading with interest something about putting raw meat into the cholent just before lighting which somehow made something or other OK. Call your rabbi or some other reliable source of info.

cassandra

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 9:33 am
Debsters, you are correct. You are allowed to put something on the flame to cook immediately before shabbos since there is no chance you will be able to eat it Friday night so you will not be tempted to "stoke the coals" to make it cook faster. Food either needs to be cooked k'maachal ben drosai or completely raw.

mom23

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 9:35 am
I also learned like Cassandra.

debsters1101

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 9:54 am
phhheeeeeeeeew.
who needs a LOR when we have Cassandra!
ok I KNEW I didn't make it up.
in the meantime, I did run and put up the yapchik, so I really hope it doesn't burn by tomorrow. I have it on low now- should I switch it to high (shabbos is in 3 hours and 20 minutes) and then switch it to low or warm for shabbos?

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 10:40 am
I also hold by putting things in raw and turning it on right before shabbos...

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 11:03 am
I was also taught that food should either have already started the cooking process by Shabbos, or else to start it up immediately before Shabbos, raw.

canadamom

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 11:04 am
Ok I'm waiting for my husband to come home and then I'll ask him. From this and other halachos in the kitchen threads I really feel like I could use a refresher course. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 11:05 am
debsters1101 wrote:
phhheeeeeeeeew.
who needs a LOR when we have Cassandra!
ok I KNEW I didn't make it up.
in the meantime, I did run and put up the yapchik, so I really hope it doesn't burn by tomorrow. I have it on low now- should I switch it to high (shabbos is in 3 hours and 20 minutes) and then switch it to low or warm for shabbos?

I would leave it on low. But I guess it depends on how your crock usually cooks.

debsters1101

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 11:08 am
see thats why I always start it raw right before shabbos. by lunch its on the verge of burning. hope this doesnt burn I had to beg my husband to let me make it he is very into having his chulent on shabbos! if it burns, its back to boring old chulent for us!

willow

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 2:33 am
I learned like cassandra. Call your LOR I am positive he will put you at ease. You are not doing it wrong.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics