Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Kosher Lotion?

normama

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 8:40 am
I work with an Indian woman who is very strict vegetarian. she doesn't even eat eggs.
so today someone brought in a cool handcream for us to try.
she said she had to check if it had animal or egg products in it or she couldn't use it.

is there something like this with kashrut? should we not be using products with
unkosher things in them? like lard, shellfish, etc.?
I've never come across anything, but I wonder if it's a kashrut/halacha issue.
anybody ever hear of that?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 8:46 am
kashrut only involves things that go into your mouth, as far as I know.

vegetarian "rules" are very different than kashrut halachot.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 8:59 am
Kashrut applies to food, but I do know vegans who don't use animal products in any way, including in creams or wearing leather or wool.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 9:35 am
are you planning to lick it Wink

louche

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 9:54 am
The only trefus you can't use for anything at all is basar bechalav, which is forbidden behanaah. If a product contained, say, beef suet and whey or casein (a milk protein), you wouldn't be allowed to use it, nor would you be allowed to sell it or patch up holes in your wall with it or gain any benefit from it whatsoever.

Otherwise, kashrut applies only to what you eat or drink, though many people are careful to wash their hands with kosher soap before eating or preparing food. It's acceptable to wear pigskin gloves or use a squirrel-hair makeup brush.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 9:55 am
she can make her own lotion out of avocado & olive oil ... but she will have to kill the avocado first Shooting Arrow

louche

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 10:07 am
greenfire wrote:
she can make her own lotion out of avocado & olive oil ... but she will have to kill the avocado first Shooting Arrow

not to mention torturing the olives, which surely violates the geneva convention. speaking of which, do you know anyone who's ever gone to the Geneva Convention? I've never been.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 10:10 am
louche wrote:
greenfire wrote:

not to mention torturing the olives, which surely violates the geneva convention. speaking of which, do you know anyone who's ever gone to the Geneva Convention? I've never been.

is geneva where they torture the olives ... can we take a road trip ... I'll pumice my feet Wink or is that just for grapes What
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics