Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
President Reagan 1981 Inaugural Address

jupik

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 9:11 pm

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 9:20 pm
Jupik, thank you for posting. President Reagan's philosophies on democracy and fiscal conservatism are timeless. His words are stil inspiring.

He was the president of my teenage years and I remember feeling he would keep us safe... and he did.

mimivan

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 9:36 pm
I was taught as a child in a house of Democrats not to like Reagan...it is only as an adult that I have come to appreciate him, at least on foreign policy (I blamed him for the fact that I was perpetually frightened of nuclear war, the way people blame those who fight terrorism for terrorism...similar flawed logic)..however, I still prefer Democrats on fiscal issues.

I was told he was a phoney while growing up, but looking at things more objectively, I really and truly believe he was genuine...and he had great respect for the Lubavitcher Rebbe, which is a big zechus IMHO. I think it might be the first time a President gave a Torah leader due credit for contribution to public policy (there was an issue about prayer in schools and Reagan opted for the Rebbe's suggestion that school children have a moment of silence to contemplate the Creator however they wish instead of established ecumenical prayer, which is what Reagan had in mind)

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 10:14 pm
Ah, memories. That was the first presidential election in which I was able to vote.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics