Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Lubavitchers are lousy dresses and wear ugly shaitels
Previous  1  2  3  Next

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 10:45 am
The pathetic thing about this woman's comments are that she herself, on Curb your Enthusiasm, plays the role of an insufferable Jewish prima donna: she is obnoxious, materialistic, possessive, overly emotional, critical, nagging and screeches a lot. And she comes across as VERY jewish-right down to the oy-veys.

As indymom said, do outsiders see the difference between her and us? no way.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 11:02 am
I think anybody who's ever seen Susie Essman knows that her shtick is being out there and rude, with some bursts of sincerity. I've seen so many comedians do stuff like this. Not defending it, I get upset about some things I see as well (I once saw a George Carlin routine that really bugged me, and I never forgot it, also Martin Lawrence once) but I don't think this is the start of some insidious trend or major bout of anti-Semitism. Just a comedienne being out there and offensive. Joy Behar constantly makes rude jokes about growing up in an Italian-American family, and gay comedians constantly make rude jokes about the gay world, same with "redneck" comics.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be upset with her or think she said some rude things, I'm just saying that it's part of that whole thing.

leomom

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 11:07 am
That's true, Clarissa, but where we are in history at this precise moment, it is definitely dangerous to make such "jokes" about Jews on national television. Jews are being targeted by terrorists. Gays, Italians, and rednecks aren't. Recent news has included high-profile murders of Jews and the media is filled with anti-Israel and anti-Jewish sentiment. Although I agree with you in principle, right now it really is different.

I wrote and complained.

Barbara

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 11:10 am
Clarissa wrote:
I think anybody who's ever seen Susie Essman knows that her shtick is being out there and rude, with some bursts of sincerity. I've seen so many comedians do stuff like this. Not defending it, I get upset about some things I see as well (I once saw a George Carlin routine that really bugged me, and I never forgot it, also Martin Lawrence once) but I don't think this is the start of some insidious trend or major bout of anti-Semitism. Just a comedienne being out there and offensive. Joy Behar constantly makes rude jokes about growing up in an Italian-American family, and gay comedians constantly make rude jokes about the gay world, same with "redneck" comics.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be upset with her or think she said some rude things, I'm just saying that it's part of that whole thing.

It was part of her schtick. And let's face it, to outsiders, the whole idea of having to marry your brother-in-law is, well, very weird. Even weirder is the idea that a secular Jew would consider it (premise of the movie). I wasn't particularly offended by her comments. Maybe I just have a high level of tolerance for that kind of thing.

I was a lot more offended by Schussel's deliberate nastiness. Although I guess that offensiveness of that type is part of HER schtick as well.

mugsisme

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 11:16 am
Does anyone have any idea how I can contact Michael Savage? I can't find any contact information on his site.
I also called the number listed on Debbie's site. I left a message. If anyone has some time to do it today, here is the number:
Quote:
And contact Brian Frons, President, Daytime, Disney-ABC Television Group at 77 West 66th Street, New York, NY 10023. Phone: 212-456-7777. Let him know that anti-Semitism is unacceptable on his airwaves.

Brian Frons is Jewish, and I heard he was unaware that this aired as it is. Gosh, can you imagine the backlash if she had said "black man" instead of "conservative Republican"?

I totally get that this is America, but because this is America, they absolutely can not get away with this.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 11:24 am
The worst is that no one marries their brother in law, we have to do chalitza.

I hate it when they take frum inyanim and mess them all up to make frumkeit look 'weird' and controversial, but I guess having to marry your brother in law is more interesting than taking off his shoe.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 11:30 am
Ech. I just checked out the rest of this blog. She's just awful. I'd pick Susie Essman over her any day.

mugisme wrote:
Gosh, can you imagine the backlash if she had said "black man" instead of "conservative Republican"?
Can we say apples and oranges? Had she been a conservative comedienne who said "liberal Democrat," it wouldn't be considered offensive. How is "black man" related to political beliefs? If someone said they wouldn't want their kid to marry a Jew or Asian, there would be the same outcry as black man, but that's not what was said. So your example makes no sense.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 11:32 am
Clarissa wrote:

She's not poking fun at Jews. She's poking fun at Jews who are different than her and disgracing them for (wrong) stereotypes. She's not part of that culture, and she has no "excuse" as such that she's making fun of herself as well.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 11:35 am
As I said in my earlier post, this is something that happens, people get offended at "out there" comedians. Nothing more, nothing less.

By the way, this is a blogger who, in the title of a post about Michelle Obama, called her "the world's most overbearing shrew." I honestly wouldn't want to admit I read this tripe. .
edited by mod2 pm me if u wish

Last edited by Clarissa on Fri, Jan 23 2009, 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

JRKmommy

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 11:38 am
The conservative Republican comment wouldn't bother me because, like religion, that relates to one's values. Quite frankly, many conservative Republicans probably wouldn't want to have her as a machatenisteh.

I agree that comediennes like her aren't exactly known for giving flattering pictures of anything.

Here is where I see a bit of a difference, though, between the usual "make fun of my group" humour and what she was doing: she really wasn't doing it as an insider about "her" group. If she was making jokes about being a Jew from New York, it might be different. However, the jokes were specifically about a group - Lubavitch - that she is not a part of. Playing a role in a movie does not make you an expert, esp. if the movie in question is based on what I see as a false premise (ie. Lubavitchers do not practice levirate marriages, and like other Jewish communities do the "release" ceremony instead).

Now, that said - I don't know of any act of terrorism or hatred that was caused by a false belief that the women in a group don't dress well.

One last thought - instead of just "I'm so outraged" calls and emails, what if a bunch of Lubavitch women contacted the show about coming on, having a Q&A to clear up misconceptions, and basically showed up looking stunning and with clips about the Chabad houses around the world. As well as being a rebuttal, it could tie in with what happened in Mumbai, and I bet the viewers would be genuinely curious. Obviously, you would need to have some really capable women going on the air - ones who are knowledgeable enough to hold their own and able to deal with the format, so they couldn't be overly sheltered or naive, but I know Lubavitch women who could pull it off. And seriously, I know tons of Lubavitch rebbetzins who look stunning, esp. next to the ladies of The View, so a moment on the air would be worth more than a 1,000 protest calls.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 11:53 am
I completely agree with JRKmommy. It's ok for a black comedien to make fun of black people. Chinese people can make fun of their own culture. But it's totally nasty to make fun of a group that one is not part of. That's not comedy, that's just making fun.

Also, comedy is only funny if it's true. In general, Lubavitch women are known as the best-dressed of any Jewish sect. Go to 770 and you won't see many sheitels to make fun of. You might find dozens that you can be jealous of, and you might feel like a total shlump compared to all the glamorous ladies there, but not a lot to make fun of.

mugsisme

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 11:54 am
JRKmommy wrote:

One last thought - instead of just "I'm so outraged" calls and emails, what if a bunch of Lubavitch women contacted the show about coming on, having a Q&A to clear up misconceptions, and basically showed up looking stunning and with clips about the Chabad houses around the world. As well as being a rebuttal, it could tie in with what happened in Mumbai, and I bet the viewers would be genuinely curious. Obviously, you would need to have some really capable women going on the air - ones who are knowledgeable enough to hold their own and able to deal with the format, so they couldn't be overly sheltered or naive, but I know Lubavitch women who could pull it off. And seriously, I know tons of Lubavitch rebbetzins who look stunning, esp. next to the ladies of The View, so a moment on the air would be worth more than a 1,000 protest calls.

This is exactly what I hope to accomplish by calling. I left a message with Brian Frons. I think it would hold more weight if others called as well. Or at least wrote.

One thing I have noticed is that when it comes to liberals, we have to tolerate them, but they do not have to tolerate us. I added a new quote to my signature.

gryp

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 12:42 pm
mugsisme wrote:
Does anyone have any idea how I can contact Michael Savage? I can't find any contact information on his site.
I also called the number listed on Debbie's site. I left a message. If anyone has some time to do it today, here is the number:
Quote:
And contact Brian Frons, President, Daytime, Disney-ABC Television Group at 77 West 66th Street, New York, NY 10023. Phone: 212-456-7777. Let him know that anti-Semitism is unacceptable on his airwaves.

Brian Frons is Jewish, and I heard he was unaware that this aired as it is. Gosh, can you imagine the backlash if she had said "black man" instead of "conservative Republican"?

I totally get that this is America, but because this is America, they absolutely can not get away with this.

Mugs, you can email Savage on his site. But I'm sure he's picked this up already. Either he'll talk about it tonight, in which case we'll miss it because Shabbos is early, or maybe he's on vacation and will talk about it on Monday- I'm hoping.

mugsisme

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 12:51 pm
GR, can you PM a link to the contact on his site? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

chillax

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 12:52 pm
I didn't watch the clip but I don't agree with the Subject line.
I'm not lubavitch but based on the Lubavitch people I know and have seen, they seem to have the nicest sheitels and an edgier more modern style.

gryp

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 12:53 pm
I'll look for it. Did he take it down? I've emailed him before so I know it was there at one point.

gryp

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 12:59 pm
I don't see it mugs.
Maybe you can look at the site of your local radio station, and click to view their personalities, and maybe they'll have an email address for Michael.

shlomitsmum

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 1:57 pm
I saw this on tv !
I was yelling at the screen like my old bubbe! Mad Mad Mad
she said that basically frum chassidic women were poor dressers ,had ugly wigs and the worst comment for me seemed to link the laws of tzniut with Islam !
And Halitzah is unheard off these days...at east to me. Exploding anger

Frankly my opinion on that "acctress" is that she is a self hating ungrateful cow !!!! as I read that she had to spend time with chassidic women ....I was like ,and after that to say something so Ignorant and mean about women who took the time to share spirituality. plus on the clip the lady with the short brown shaitel looks really ,mean and condecending ,never have I met a true frum woman who would conduct herself like that ...yuck!

Maybe I need to hunt her down wearing my shabbos shaitel and kick her tush with my manolos or at least step on her baby toe Twisted Evil ....and maybe hit her on the head with my big LV purse to dust off some off those self hating cowwebs ....evil fantasy , I'm very gentle actually LOL

As a fashion consultant , shaitel wearing frum woman ...her stupidity outraged me , and speaking of fashion? what about HER age innapropiate Look , saw the boots? cleavage ? ok ,for a younger non jewish woman but on someone like her gross ....we have ad fashion sense ? talk about the pot calling the kettle black ....
IGNORANT cow she has obviously never met someone like Rebbetzin Esther Yungreis who is the epitome of elegance and refinement .

And Thanx to those who complained!
Imagine If someone said latinas and black dress vulgar and show too much bum and chest?
gosh they would have a mess in their hands, and I'm south american BTW so I'm not a racist .

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 1:59 pm
didn't read all the posts but I can't say I'm shocked. Picking on Jews is just fine as far as the American Media is concerned. Imagine if she had said that about Islamic Religious women.... oyyy the outcry and the apologies that would have followed...

anyway the worst aspect of it to me is that she's clueless about her own religion and only relates to frumkeit based on outward appearances that she is judging. Imagine if she could spend a Shabbos with some of the special and inspiring Jewish families that I'm sure we each know...

I think she'd be inspired by some intelligent, spiritual, sensitive and beautiful (inside and out) women.. Oh I hope she gets that opportunity some day. Anyone want to invite her for Shabbos tonight?

gryp

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 2:01 pm
Honestly, those ladies look they have something seriously mentally wrong with them. It's not even worth getting worked up over, except for the little commonality they have there with the Islamic terrorists. A bit worrisome.

Btw, Debbie Schlussel is the one who goes incognito into mosques all over USA to report on which ones are preaching jihad. She's really something special. I've heard her speak many times on Savage.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics