Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Aprons on Friday Night
1  2  Next

MiamiMommy

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 1:51 pm
Could someone please explain why some women wear white aprons on Friday night? Thanks!

dillie

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 2:16 pm
Because their mothers (and grandmothers, and great grandmothers) did that. It goes back to a time when women always wore aprons- lekoved shabbos, they changed into a special white shabbos apron and tichel.
Today, we don't always wear aprons, but on shabbos it's still a minhag.
Any chassidishe ladies want to tell us if it's only Friday night, only at the meal, or whatever? I'm sure there are other nuances that I'm not aware of.

MiamiMommy

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 2:31 pm
I heard there was something more to it, almost the idea of a man wearing a gartel.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 3:01 pm
Some women will wear only to light, others the entire Friday night. Has to do with girding yourself like a gartel, for yiras shomayim.

I've also heard that in de alte heim when women onlyhad one dres, they'd put an apron over it to make it Shabosdike.

Martini

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 3:07 pm
I think it's a segula to have good kids....

bandcm

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 5:15 pm
I have a few former classmates who do this (only on Friday nights).
We had a class reunion after most of the class was married, on Friday night, and it was so sweet to see these girls coming in our aprons.

RightOnTarget

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 5:16 pm
Think most only wear it to candle lighting.

mimivan

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 5:25 pm
I saw several women wearing white aprons the entire Shabbat when I was staying at a Beit Hachlama after I gave birth. Thanks to this thread, I knew the reason why...that's why I love this site...!

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 5:38 pm
Don't those who wear white aprons also wear white tichels on Friday night? I'm sure I've seen the two things together, or are they worn independently?

Strudel

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 6:12 pm
I wear a white tichel, but not an apron.

Maya

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 6:23 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
Don't those who wear white aprons also wear white tichels on Friday night? I'm sure I've seen the two things together, or are they worn independently?

Those who wear white aprons also wear tichels; but not all who wear tichels wear aprons.

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 6:26 pm
Ah, thanks for the clarification!

Just out of interest and I hope this isn't a rude question, is the wearing of the apron considered a 'level', like wearing a cover on the shaitel is? Do you follow your mother's minhag for this?

mimivan

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 6:27 pm
What do you mean by "level"?

Maya

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 6:30 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
Just out of interest and I hope this isn't a rude question, is the wearing of the apron considered a 'level', like wearing a cover on the shaitel is? Do you follow your mother's minhag for this?

It's considered somewhat of a higher "level", but most women follow their mother's minhag.

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 6:34 pm
mimivan wrote:
What do you mean by "level"?
I mean, I've seen written here that women whose mothers wear a... cover(? can't remember the correct name) on top of their shaitel, feel that they have to wear one as well, otherwise it's considered as if they are going down a level from their family. Is this correct?
I was just wondering if the apron minhag was like that too.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 7:49 pm
I don't feel like putting on a sheitel friday night... so whatever I wear on my head is white. until M'Shabbos. That's what my grandmother wore... and her mother...

MiamiMommy

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 8:06 pm
Thanks for all the reply's! This is something I've always wondered about!

Inspired

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 6:25 am
Strudel wrote:
I wear a white tichel, but not an apron.

Me too, but I wish th aprons were our minhag. I love them.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 6:32 am
dillie wrote:
Because their mothers (and grandmothers, and great grandmothers) did that. It goes back to a time when women always wore aprons- lekoved shabbos, they changed into a special white shabbos apron and tichel.
Today, we don't always wear aprons, but on shabbos it's still a minhag.

This is so interesting! I wish that was our minhag.... I wouldn't have to find something to wear every week! I could get away with a black skirt, top and white apron! And as an added bonus, I wouldn't have to spend so much on dry cleaning my clothes. LOL

Do ppl where these aprons/tichels outside the house as well, like when they go visiting neighbors or to a shabbos kallah? (bandcm, I know you mentioned you've seen it, but wondering if that's the norm.)

Marion

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 6:45 am
If I were to do that it wouldn't be white for very long!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics