Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Cleaning the Shabbos table on Shabbos
1  2  Next

Tefila

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 8:58 pm
How do u clean it from sticky wine, soda spills, icecream droppings etc Very Happy

chen

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 9:12 pm
ru using a bare cloth or cloth with plastic cover?

miriam

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 9:12 pm
microfiber cloths

shoy18

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 9:21 pm
If the table gets that dirty, either get the table clothes that is stain proof or change the table cloth after fri night

shopaholic

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 7:34 am
I have my nice tablecloth, covered by a heavy duty platic, covered my a cheap diposable that I throw away after the meal.

queen

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 9:30 am
for all those who light their candles ON the table vs. a buffet or shelf-

place as many platic table cloths- as to the # of meals you'll be serving. If your family eats 3 meals at that table- place 3 cloths.

ONTOP of these plastics now place your candlesticks/tray.

with a sharp scissors cut through all the layers of the plastic cloth around your tray/candle sticks. (your cutting a circle out of the middle of your cloth- about an inch away from the edge of your tray all the way round.)

this way after each meal you are able to carefully remove the top (dirty?) plastic leaving you with a perfectly clean plastic for the next meal.

happymom

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 9:32 am
I just put a plastic over the tablecloth, and throw it out after the meal. I put a new one on for the next meal. its simple and clean.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 9:56 am
I'm pretty sure that it's hiddur mitzvah to light your shabbos candles on the table where you eat the shabbos seudah. (which is the reason we are trying to come up with the different ideas for changing the tablecloth in a permissible way)

I'd just like to know if anyone knows a source for it, so I can convince my husband that it's important. (He has a preference for the buffet). But it's not about giving in for Sholom Bayis. My husband understands that it's basically my mitzvah and he lets me do it my way. I just would wish he could appreciate this idea also.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 10:02 am
you can spritz the tblecloth with water and wipe.

happymom

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 10:25 am
you can cut a whole in the plastic big enough to fit it over the candles, and cut a whole in a clean one two. that way, u can throw out the plastic and change it on shabbos, with the candles on the table! I did this a few times.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 11:48 am
Am I the only one who lights her candles high high on a bookcase?

I do this or my sons try to blow them out or play with them

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 11:58 am
Pickle, I hope they don't try to climb up there.....

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 10:01 am
amother wrote:
I'm pretty sure that it's hiddur mitzvah to light your shabbos candles on the table where you eat the shabbos seudah... I'd just like to know if anyone knows a source for it, so I can convince my husband that it's important. (He has a preference for the buffet). But it's not about giving in for Sholom Bayis. My husband understands that it's basically my mitzvah and he lets me do it my way. I just would wish he could appreciate this idea also.

I think the main thing is that the candles should be visible when you say Kiddush, eat the meal. Why not simply ask a rav if there is a source? No need to do any convincing then! No need for appreciation then!

Pickle lady - you're a woman after my mother's heart - she says SAFETY FIRST and has always lit away from the table in a safe place.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 4:38 pm
What do you do in the summer when the a/c is on?

Tefila

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 4:43 pm
Quote:
or cloth with plastic cover?

Thats what I meant
and no I don't light on the table it's too dangerous and nerve racking 4 me I have a corner unit backed by mirrors built for the lichter. High enough from babys far enough away from window a/c unit but visible for kiddush.

But spray and water doesn't always help. Unless I should get those cheap plastic clear types byu the roll and just keep changing them Confused
B/c till now I have been changing table cloth after each meal a royal pain Exclamation

chen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 6:52 pm
Tefila wrote:
Quote:
or cloth with plastic cover?

But spray and water doesn't always help. Exclamation

tefilah, that's b/c you're working too hard. spritz water on the glop, go away and tickle the baby for a little while. come back in 5-10 minutes and wipe away the mess. if there's still some left, spary some more water, go play peek-a-boo for a little while, come back in 5-10 min.

if the problem is not food residue but grease that makes dull splotches on the plastic, you're right, water alone won't remove it. only detergent or a solvent will do that. you could always spritz vodka if it really bothers you Confused

if the plastic itself is stained b/c it has absorbed the coloring from food, as can happen if beets or tomato-sauce based foods have sat there for a long time, then you're stuck. some bleach dabbed on with a cotton ball after shabbos might work. [/I]

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 7:31 pm
G-d Bless the man/woman who invented the plastic (disposable)tablecloth!!!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 7:48 pm
Yea but chen isn't there a problem with squeezing then Confused
tefila Wink

Crayon210

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 7:52 pm
queen-thanks for your great idea!

chen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 10:55 pm
amother wrote:
Yea but chen isn't there a problem with squeezing then Confused
tefila Wink

No, b/c you take a nice absorbent washcloth and use it to mop up the water exactly as if someone had overturned their water glass on the table. (It's not that much water!) you're not sqeezing anything, you're taking it up. if the cloth gets too soggy, you get another one.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions