Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
In the life of kids: It only keeps on getting better :(

dainty diva

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 3:49 pm
So after all my troubles with thrush, biting, and painful nursing, dd was now diagnosed with an ear infection. So it's Omnicef for now, but now the risk of recurrent thrush looms high. I can't afford tubes and tubes of Daktarin, but I worry about the thrush. For now I am traumatized just from the word thrush! Are there any other ways of preventing thrush in dd's mouth?

Inspired

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 3:59 pm
Probiotics (acidophiles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic yogurt with live cultures )
gentian violet
http://www.drjacknewman.com/he.....t.asp

shaindel d

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 4:18 pm
I had this problem. I gave my baby omnicef and she got terrible thrush. The next time I needed to give it to her I gave her probiotics for kids and she was fine.

dainty diva

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 4:59 pm
What form does probiotics come in, where do I get it, and what is the dosage?

shaindel d

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 5:25 pm
they come in drops for babys and chewables for bigger kids. I get them at the local health food store.
Just ask and the will show you a variety. you should try to get the type that needs to br refrigerated.

blondie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 12:26 pm
Just wondering.... what do probiotics have to do with thrush? I always thought it just balances the flora of the stomach while taking antibiotics.

By the way, the body usually is either more fungal prone or more bacterial... which is why after an antibiotic a fungal infection might occur, no bacteria means now prone to fungus.

Having suffered thrush recently (had thrush with baby #2 and with now baby #4).... best way to prevent recurring is to allow yourself to air out after a feeding. Just leave your bra open under your shirt if possible. Do not cover up while damp, and only wear cotton bras! Very important.... the reason I've gotten it is I've worn other material bras (I get tired of my cotton nursing bras b/c they're not supportive enough) and then paid the price. Big mistake. I don't usually wear nursing pads as I don't tend to leak but I think those are only ok for you if you change them often enough. Make sure to use the Daktarin on yourself and the oral one on the baby's tongue (I'm in Israel, that's what they have here) until you're definitely better- if you don't finish treatment on both of you you're going to flare up again.

Hope this helped!

blondie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 12:29 pm
Just to further clarify what I wrote- thrush usually begins with you- the fungus thrives in wet places such as you when you haven't allowed yourself to dry properly after a feeding. Then you just keep passing it back and forth with the baby. It's painful for the baby too hence they might stop and bite during a feeding instead of nursing well.

Feel better!

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 12:35 pm
Sometimes I wonder if people have me on ignore...

I've mentioned this in previous posts.. grapefruit seed extract diluted in water.

GetReal

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 1:36 pm
Yesha, where do you get that? How diluted is it? How often do you put it on?

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 1:43 pm
GNC will have it. 10-15 drops in 2 tablespoons of boiled then cooled water.

Swab your nipples and aereola after nursing and let air dry, swab baby's mouth after nursing.

dainty diva

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 2:26 pm
This is what my pharmacy sent me: Brand: Dynamic Health Product: Lactobacillus Acidphilus Anone familiar w/ dosage for 9 month baby at 16 lb?

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 11:41 am
you should be taking acidopholous every day, then you won't get it and pass it to her.

GetReal

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 11:44 am
Thanks Yesha.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 11:45 am
dainty, health hut has childrens acidophilus, which I use when my kids are on antibiotics. he'll tell you the dosage.

shluchamom

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 1:48 pm
Just for your information there is something you can get by prescription here in america that is the same thing as the daktarin cream for you. I haven't found anything yet for the oral gel. Its called Ketoconazole. Ask your dr. about it should you need it and stop paying for daktarin.

yersp

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 2:35 pm
when ds had thrush (and I was not nursing, it came from his pacifier always being shlepped around on the floor) someone told me to swab orange juice in his mouth a bit a few times a day and that helped too.

Happy Mom

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 1:11 am
Coconut oil is excellent for thrush, for the mother or baby. You can take it internally by eating it, apply it directly to the skin, or both. It's a powerful anti-fungal, among other things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics