Home

Sifting whole wheat flour?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Frum

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 09 2009, 7:47 am       Post subject: Sifting whole wheat flour?
Whenever I bake challah (or cookies, etc.) I obviously sift the flour. But now I would like to bake whole wheat challah. I just sifted the flour and found out that all the rye (or whatever the wheat is called) remains behind in the sieve and only the fine flour goes through. So I guess the whole wheat effect is gone.

How should one check whole wheat flour, without loosing the grains inside the mixture?

louche

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 09 2009, 8:19 am       Post subject: re: Sifting whole wheat flour?
You don't lose all the bran, only part of it. Try King Arthur flour, which is finer than Pillsbury or Gold Medal.Unfortunately also more expesnsive.

difr

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 09 2009, 9:51 am       Post subject: re: Sifting whole wheat flour?
The Kosher sifter comes with a special attachment you can purchase especially for ww flour that has larger holes.

hadasa

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 10 2009, 5:26 pm       Post subject: re: Sifting whole wheat flour?
I was told to either a. Sift the flour and then check the bran by hand or b. Sift the whole package in a wide-holed sieve, and if I find anything problematic, to throw the whole package out.
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Page 1 of 1