Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Home births as safe as hospital births
Previous  1  2

Inspired

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 10:50 am
mimivan wrote:
one quick question...are monitors used in a home birth? If so, my last baby really should have been born at home...the monitor was the only thing I needed at the hospital..the rest was just an unnecessary interference...and the nurses were just really freaking me out unnecessarily..

Homebirth midwives have handheld doppler or fetoscope to monitor the baby's HB. You don't need a hospital type monitor because unlike a hospital the MW is actually there with the woman so she sees when the contraction begins and ends. (Monitors measure the baby's heartbeat as it reacts to a contraction and how quickly it goes back to the baseline)

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 12:49 pm
ora_43 wrote:

Also worth noting: 33% of the women who chose home birth were transferred to the hospital, so really it's "home births are as safe as hospital births for low-risk mothers who are having standard deliveries with no complications."

A significant number of the transfers were for epidurals and other non-emergent/non-safety issue though.

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 12:52 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Although why they would use bright white sheets is beyond me. I can't imagine what detergent will get out those blood stains. Maybe that's the next ad they'll do, one for Tide or Cheer or something?

Bleach, Clarissa, bleach. Same reason we use white sheets in the hospital.

Twoisacharm

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 10:28 pm
oh wow that video/ad is beautiful but SO not for me......2 c-sections wouldnt have gone down well in a bed at home Rolling Eyes but hey each to their own!!!!!!!

pecan

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 11:02 pm
I like hospitals. I can't imagine giving birth with my kids knocking on the door every few minutes. I hate when they send us home so soon. It is very relaxing to be there; I don't know why anyone would want to be home, knowing that they have to put in a load of laundry, tidy up the dining room, and wash dishes after giving birth.

My friend wanted to give birth at home. Luckily, she was convinced to give birth in the hospital because her baby (low risk) was born with a hole in his diaphragm. I shudder to think about the minutes lost in transport in an emergency. Ever wonder why infants and mothers used to die in childbirth?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 11:58 pm
pecan that's what mother-baby homes are for Smile

leomom

Post Tue, Apr 21 2009, 12:34 am
I think this thread should be moved to a non-public forum, or possibly the video Chavamom posted should be removed. I personally liked the video, but I don't think casual browsers of this site (which may include children) should be able to access it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics