Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Jerusalem - Rav Amar: Strawberries Kosher And May Be Eaten
1  2  Next

Chocoholic

Post Sun, May 17 2009, 12:06 pm
Jerusalem - During a visit to a Hesder Yeshiva in the Yesha town of Karnei Shomron, Chief Rabbi Shlomo Amar gave a shiur on the permissibility of eating strawberries.

He claimed that the recent psak issued by chareidi rabbis against eating strawberries because of the inevitability of their being infested by insects, is not correct because, "The Torah only forbad eating bugs and crawling insects which are visible to the eyes. It didn't forbid eating insects which can only be seen by a microscope."

Rav Amar ruled that it is sufficient to soak the strawberries in water, rinse them off and then remove the top leafy part to eat them.

The rav was welcomed by the yeshiva. The event was attended by notables from the Local Council, the heads of Yesha Council, local rabbis and many residents.

http://www.vosizneias.com/3189.....aten/

mandksima

Post Sun, May 17 2009, 12:30 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
Jerusalem - During a visit to a Hesder Yeshiva in the Yesha town of Karnei Shomron, Chief Rabbi Shlomo Amar gave a shiur on the permissibility of eating strawberries.

He claimed that the recent psak issued by chareidi rabbis against eating strawberries because of the inevitability of their being infested by insects, is not correct because, "The Torah only forbad eating bugs and crawling insects which are visible to the eyes. It didn't forbid eating insects which can only be seen by a microscope."

Rav Amar ruled that it is sufficient to soak the strawberries in water, rinse them off and then remove the top leafy part to eat them.

The rav was welcomed by the yeshiva. The event was attended by notables from the Local Council, the heads of Yesha Council, local rabbis and many residents.

http://www.vosizneias.com/3189.....aten/

Yeah, Karnei Shomron! I had to do that because I live there!

Thing is, when I heard about the problem with strawberries and saw the video that was published, I called the rav here to see what he holds and he said they are fine, just soak, wash and check as usual. Now, I see where he was coming from. Although at the time, I thoughth it odd considering how insistant other rabbeim were about the infestation.

The part I don't get is that in the video, thrips were easily seen with the naked eye. Totally grossed me out.

I think this thread should be in the controversial section. Wink

Twizzlers

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 12:00 pm
not questioning the rabbi's authority or anything, but if the halacha is that bugs have to be visible to the eye, why is a water filter necessary?

amother

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 12:11 pm
what about Bodek frozen strawberries, are they assur too?

justmom

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 12:57 pm
OK, I don't mean to pat my own back, toot my own horn, etc. , but I've been saying that for months!!!!!

DefyGravity

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 12:59 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
not questioning the rabbi's authority or anything, but if the halacha is that bugs have to be visible to the eye, why is a water filter necessary?

Supposedly, they can be seen to the naked eye.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 12:59 pm
Twizzlers wrote:

Because some guy was washing supposedly "bug free" lettuce and saw some animals in the water. As "bug free" lettuce is always bug free (ahum), they decided it must have been the water Rolling Eyes .

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
what about Bodek frozen strawberries, are they assur too?

I was told they were fine last year when I was already uneasy, but bli neder this year I'm giving up strawberries and not making my Shavuos strawberry soup. I just feel that it's too risky. That video...

Marion

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 1:14 pm
I honestly don't understand how something with a hechsher can be "assur". It's been checked! IMNSHO the Bodek is fine, as are any of the cereals with berries with a hechsher. Also, IMNSHO, a water filter is not a necessity in a kosher kitchen.

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 1:21 pm
Marion wrote:
I honestly don't understand how something with a hechsher can be "assur". It's been checked! IMNSHO the Bodek is fine, as are any of the cereals with berries with a hechsher. Also, IMNSHO, a water filter is not a necessity in a kosher kitchen.

When those cereals with berries, raisins, granola and nuts sit around, eggs can hatch.

Flour has to be sifted, right? So how can we use cake mixes which we don't sift? A mashgiach told me we can because they use a special egg-blaster device on the mix before packaging.

leomom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 7:38 pm
update from vos iz neias

chavamom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:05 pm
Twizzlers wrote:

B/c those that hold you have to use a filter say they are visible to the naked eye. I don't live in NYC to be able to try this, but I've been told that if you tie a white handkerchief on the tap and then take it off after running water through, you can see the copods or whatever they are called on the fabric.

chavamom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:08 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
Twizzlers wrote:

Because some guy was washing supposedly "bug free" lettuce and saw some animals in the water. As "bug free" lettuce is always bug free (ahum), they decided it must have been the water Rolling Eyes .

Where in the world did you hear that? They do know that there are copepods in the water in NYC b/c of the source of the water. There are only a few cities in the world where it is an issue, but NYC is one.

Falafel

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:09 pm
yy wrote:
update from vos iz neias

Directly from the article:

"The Chief Rabbi reiterates that as experts have shown, strawberries are infested with worms which are visible to the eye and can be seen without the help of a device. These worms must be avoided, and if it is not possible to clean strawberries of them, then strawberries may not be eaten."

thanks for posting it, yy!!

chavamom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:11 pm
Copepods

sarahd

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:15 pm
A frum doctor I know was sitting with his colleagues when the water first became an issue and the topic came up for discussion. As the resident fanatic, he was ready for all kinds of teasing, but a non-Jewish guy told everyone that his wife, a biology teacher, used to fill test tubes with NYC water and show them to her students so they could see living organisms swimming in the water. Without microscopes or magnifying glasses.

chavamom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:16 pm
From the CRC:
Quote:
Strawberries – Fresh strawberries that are smooth and rounded in shape should have the tops cut off and the strawberries should be gently rubbed while rinsed well under a strong stream of water. Strawberries that have an unusual shape and are curved, causing some crevices and overlaps on the surface where small insects may hide, must have the tops removed and then also must be soaked for a short while in a kosher vegetable wash or a soap solution. They then must be rinsed off under a strong stream of water. All frozen without added flavors or colors are acceptable. Canned needs a reliable hashgacha.
The OU, and chof-K concur....so, go figure.

chavamom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:17 pm
sarahd wrote:
A frum doctor I know was sitting with his colleagues when the water first became an issue and the topic came up for discussion. As the resident fanatic, he was ready for all kinds of teasing, but a non-Jewish guy told everyone that his wife, a biology teacher, used to fill test tubes with NYC water and show them to her students so they could see living organisms swimming in the water. Without microscopes or magnifying glasses.

You can see them in the video on the link I posted.

sarahd

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:21 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
Twizzlers wrote:

Yeah, these not-too-bright rabbonim. Any Imamother member could have set them straight and explained to them where the bugs came from but no, they fell for the bug-free lettuce prodcuer's claims. Good thing we have amothers around to save us from these medievalistic, unscientific rabbis.

shalhevet

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 12:54 am
No one said bug-free lettuce is always bug free. The producers/ rabbonim who give a hechsher always write the lettuce should be soaked and rinsed.

The difference is that halachically it is not b'chezkas infested - but occasionally it is. They also do not take measures so there won't be large insects like flies, on it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen