Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Girls reading megillat ruth?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 6:29 pm
Girls (usually pre-bat mitavah but some post) reading Megillat Ruth--ever heard of this custom? is this a new phenomenum similar to women's megillah reading? Obviously I'm referring to MO practice.

cassandra

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 6:57 pm
Are they reading for men or for women?

I never heard of either, unless maybe it's something they do in women's prayer groups because women's prayer groups are always looking for something to do to give their gatherings meaning. Unlike Esther where there is a mitzvah to hear the megillah there's no mitzvah to hear Rut so I'm not sure what the purpose is.

Inspired

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 8:58 pm
Since when is women's megillah reading MO practice? I never heard of it outside of charedi circles. Elsewhere megilla reading is very much a family affair.

catonmylap

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 9:29 pm
I heard about a reading in my neighborhood for mincha on shavuot with a women's only mincha.

catonmylap

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 9:31 pm
Inspired wrote:
Since when is women's megillah reading MO practice? I never heard of it outside of charedi circles. Elsewhere megilla reading is very much a family affair.

Women's reading in MO circles and in Haredi circles mean different things.

MO women's readings are read by women for women. I went to such a reading on Purim. Women switched off reading different perekim.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 9:41 pm
catonmylap wrote:
Inspired wrote:

MO women's readings are read by women for women. I went to such a reading on Purim. Women switched off reading different perekim.

One of my friends reads for herself and her girls and myself and my girls on Purim. Didn't know it could be done on Shavuot as well.

Inspired

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 9:56 pm
catonmylap wrote:
Inspired wrote:

Ah. Ok, good to know. Smile

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 5:42 am
cassandra wrote:
Are they reading for men or for women?

I never heard of either, unless maybe it's something they do in women's prayer groups because women's prayer groups are always looking for something to do to give their gatherings meaning. Unlike Esther where there is a mitzvah to hear the megillah there's no mitzvah to hear Rut so I'm not sure what the purpose is.

I suspect they are reading for women. It also didn't make sense to me at all--just got curious after receiving an email invitation from a friend whose daughter is going to participate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics