Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Can you help me with my fettuccini alfredo sauce recipe?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 1:47 pm
I have a delicious, relatively low fat alfredo sauce recipe. (Low fat... depending on how low fat the dairy ingredients that you buy are - it can be made fat free, but I don't have access to Cholov Yisroel fat free butter and mozzarella)
For some reason, I thought that the only dairy it called for was milk and butter. Now I see that it also has mozzarella cheese in it.
The thing is, dd cannot have any processed dairy, only pure milk and pure butter (not even whipped).
Can you help me figure out how to make my recipe, without the mozzarella cheese?
I'd love to make it for Shavuous, and I'd like for her to be able to enjoy this dish as well.

Here it is:

Alfredo-Sauce

Ingredients
• 1 quart milk
• 1 Tbsp garlic salt
• 2 Tbsp butter
• ¼ cup cornstarch
• ¼ cup water
• 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• salt to taste
• white pepper to taste

Directions
Combine all ingredients except for the starch, cheese and water and put into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Blend together the arrowroot and cold water then add slowly to the sauce, stirring constantly. Let sauce simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Slowly add and blend in the cheese.
Yield: 4-6 servings

Thanks in advance!

ss321

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 3:32 pm
well, the cheese is what really gives it the alfredo-y taste, imo! this sounds like more of a dairy-cream sauce than a real alfredo, not just due to lack of heavy cream, but also due to lack of (tempered yolk of) eggs! at any rate, the recipe you posted, I think, can easily be modified to be made so that you guys can ALL enjoy it. make it as directed, and then pull some out for your DD and put it aside, and then (while it is still hot and cooking) add the cheese (you cant really add it right before serving, it definitely wont taste the same if its not cooked). it will be like a cream sauce with fettucine for her, and a mock low fat fettucine alfredo for the rest of you!

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 3:58 pm
ss321 wrote:
well, the cheese is what really gives it the alfredo-y taste, imo! this sounds like more of a dairy-cream sauce than a real alfredo, not just due to lack of heavy cream, but also due to lack of (tempered yolk of) eggs! at any rate, the recipe you posted, I think, can easily be modified to be made so that you guys can ALL enjoy it. make it as directed, and then pull some out for your DD and put it aside, and then (while it is still hot and cooking) add the cheese (you cant really add it right before serving, it definitely wont taste the same if its not cooked). it will be like a cream sauce with fettucine for her, and a mock low fat fettucine alfredo for the rest of you!

Great idea! Thanks so much!

yihyetov

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 6:04 pm
great recipe ra mom! this is tonights dinner!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals