Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Weight watchers
  1  2  3  20  21  22  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 5:04 pm
I had a baby a couple of weeks ago and am starting weight watchers this week. I have a lot of weight to lose. I wanted to know if anyone has some good recipes/ tips/ etc. for weight watchers. I am makpid on cholov yisroel and live in a place where it is hard to find low fat cholov yisroel products.
Any ides?
Thanks

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 5:38 pm
I am also makpid on CY. Yes, it's hard to find low/no fat CY dairy stuff where I live too. My best advice is to really limit portion sizes. Things like parmesan cheese add a lot of flavor for only a small amount. So, more flavorful cheese even at full fat can work bc you might need so little.

Wherever you are, is it possible to get skim milk? or have the local CY dairy supplier order it for you by the case?

Farmers cheese I find nice on my sandwiches. Compared to other cheeses it's lower in fat, as I think are haolam string cheese, which I find almost everywhere.

HAtzlochah!

geemum

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 5:42 pm
I've been doing Weight Watchers since my DD was 4 months (she now 8 months) and I've lost 20 lb so far. got another 14lb or so to go.
any tips?
try to get variety into your diet, that's my biggest problem because I get very bored and then give up!
also have loads of fresh fruit and veg in the house - otherwise when you have the munchies its impossible not to steal a biscuit.
I use the spray oil very often and also the george foreman grilling machine.

good luck let us know how it goes.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 6:08 pm
Op here-
Another thing I was wondering, is what are good low point snacks?
I am definitely a boredom eater, so I try chewing gum which has been helping, but other snack ideas would be great!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 6:38 pm
Pm me-I'm a ww pro.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 6:48 pm
fresh fruit/veggies, low fat/high fiber crackers (watch portions!)

I find I'm also most successful if I focus on getting the necessities in first ie. milk, fruit/veggies, whoel grains, protein, water, etc. so I'm busy working on that. The spray oil is great. I also find that trying to use high flavor foods (like the cheese above) can keep eating satisfying without adding lots of calories (ie. spices, garlic, vinegar, pungent cheeses like parmesan or strong feta where you can use a little and get a lot of taste, etc.)

Healthy cereals like Kashi GoLean are so expensive and lower calorie things like puffed rice or rice crispies do not satisfy me, so I find oatmeal--even instant--is great, and I can control how much sweetener, etc. I put in to flavor it.

I also really like flavored seltzer--I get excitement from drinking something with taste and that's bubbly but I don't have caffeine or many of the chemicals that come in cola.

geemum

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:44 am
flowerpower wrote:
Pm me-I'm a ww pro.

Well I'm looking for tips too - could you put some up here for all of us? For ex, what do you do when you've hit a plateau? I'm losing 2lb then putting them on again - like a yoyo!

I keep most of my points for meal times and snack on fresh fruit or veg mainly. also zero point soups can really help.

bubby

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 8:34 am
flowerpower, if you're a pro & successful, it would be really good if you could share some ideas. Like, how can I get a decent breakfast that is less than 4 points & will keep the hunger away till lunchtime? Excluding an egg white omelette (home made = Puke )

Thanks.

Grace

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 11:35 am
Im on WW at the moment,
Just lost 2lbs this week - hurray!!! (for sure thought id gain over shavuos, I ate like I had not seen food before in my life)

Anyway about the snacks...
POPCORN!! yes a whole bag of popcorn is just 1 point, I promise go eat a whole bag you'll feel so stuffed from it you wont want anything else...HOWEVER its so salty (your allowed the butter flavour one also I think) that then I need something sweet so if anyone has a sweet snack suggestion that would be great.
ALSO: I have found these rice cracker things big round crackers almost the sice of your hand - u can have 7, yes 7 of those for just 1 point - amazing!

Farmer cheese is low on points so have that,
I eat a ton of cottage cheese (low fat) - if u find it cy buy it and stock up, it lasts a few weeks.

Quote:
how can I get a decent breakfast that is less than 4 points & will keep the hunger away till lunchtime?

I also cant always stomach the egg thing so I have a bowl of bran flakes and usually about an hour or 2 later a low fat yogurt. I also fill up on like 3 coffee's (I know alot of caff!)

Quote:
what do you do when you've hit a plateau?

Because I knew how awful I had been over yom tov I walked almost 6 miles this week pushing my baby in the stroller in the heat - thank G-d I did. WW is also to a certain extent about a lifestyle change if you can incorporate some excerise even just an hour a week I think it could make a difference. Maybe you need less points now that you have lost some weight?

Hope any of that was helpful, I too am always looking for good ideas, so please post.

bubby

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 12:07 pm
Grace, thanks for your tips. I just rejoined WW, & I am actually counting points & writing everything down. Now I need to get moving! It has stopped raining, so I'll walk later. I am drinking water & staggering to the loo a couple of times a night!! And I'm weighing & measuring.

I had a med banana & 2 cups of tea for breakfast. I must get some yoghurts, one is enough for breakfast & only 2 points. I prefer to have a bigger dinner & use my points for that. I've never seen fat free Cholov Yisrael cheese or cream cheese...has anyone? If so, where can I buy it? I'll drive!

I am a cake lover, & those small muffins (80 cals) are only 2 points each. I treat myself to one in the evening. Which brand of popcorn do you buy?

BTW...well done on 2lb!!! Cheers Hooray Thumbs Up

Grace

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 12:36 pm
Thanks bubby!
So far ive lost 4.8lbs... still a long ways to go.

If your into tracking points which I am trying to be...
you should join the online weight watchers thing ITS MAMISH AMAZING. I cant stop raving about it if your lazy with tracking as I am and cant be bothered to always check the book etc,
use the online tracking system you just type in whatever youve eaten for breakfast, lunch etc and it calculates everything for you. Its really good and makes the whole tracking thing easy and somewhat more enjoyable...

happysmile

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 8:29 pm
Hi,
I'm a BIG weight watchers fan..finally a diet (actually a new way of living/eating) that really works for me....I'm very proud of my success....I have lost 22.4 lbs in 4 months!!
the biggest key/tip is use your points wisely like dont use them up on cookies and nosh that will not fill you up..have a bage with a very thin spread of cream cheese instead or save your points for bigger meals.Also, lots of fruits nd especailly strawberries they are VERY low in points and filling too and they have good sourse of fiber....for cereal I would suggest fiber one- very filling and loaded with fiber!!

Also, I save all my 35 allowence points for Shabbos so I dont have to worry and eat a normal shabbos meal.

love ot hear more tps and ideas because right now im on a roll and cant really turn back after loosing so much weight!!!

good luck to you all!!

bubby

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 8:58 pm
That is an AMAZING weight loss, happysmile! I'm going to copy you & save my points (I have 33 left) for Shabbos. CM, I bought Norman's spreadable c cheese w/ olives. I had my WW points calculator with me & it's only 1 point per ounce. I have no idea what it tastes like! I also bought Schmerling's low fat swiss chees. It looks rubbery, but even though it's the same 2 points as Haolam low fat, I hope it's a bit healthier.

I am so ashamed of how I look. I will come clean...I bought a lovely white skirt for YT & when I came to put it on...well, you could see my unmentionables showing through it. embarrassed embarrassed

So if you see me wearing it, you know I'm doing well! Maybe by going public I will have the incentive to succeed.

Good luck to everyone! Especially over Shabbos! Wink

Fabulous

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 9:11 pm
amother wrote:
Op here-
Another thing I was wondering, is what are good low point snacks?
I am definitely a boredom eater, so I try chewing gum which has been helping, but other snack ideas would be great!

popcorn that you pop yourself fresh. Those light soy or rice chips are not bad either.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 10:32 pm
Snacks-
sugar free dried fruit like mango or guava are good for the sweet tooth
fruits are low in points and a good refresher(not really bananas) like apples, pears, grapes, peaches, blueberries(not watermelon or pinapple, cantelope is good too
startfresh or homemade popcorn is low in points-I put a drop of oil on the bottom of the pot and pour in a half bag of seeds on med flame and cover wtih newspaper to absorb the oil and it's crunchy and good.
Landau's makes snacks that are two points per bag like soy chips or potato poppers
baby carrots-ten pieces per serving-zero calories
kliens diet ice cream-the cup is two points and the pops are one, strauss or another israeli company makes good ones that are like 30 calories
tofutti pops are like a half a point
dry roasted almonds or pistachios is a good energybooster
lettuce mix with nuts or chic peas can be a snack too
I can think of more if you want.

breakfast-
one cup milk with one cup bran flakes is 4 points
2 scrambled eggs with veggies is 4 points
one egg and toast is three points
cottage cheese and a toast is 4 points

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 10:35 pm
If you hit a plateu then change diets for a few days.

geemum

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 12:19 pm
happysmile wrote:
Hi,
I'm a BIG weight watchers fan..finally a diet (actually a new way of living/eating) that really works for me....I'm very proud of my success....I have lost 22.4 lbs in 4 months!!
the biggest key/tip is use your points wisely like dont use them up on cookies and nosh that will not fill you up..have a bage with a very thin spread of cream cheese instead or save your points for bigger meals.Also, lots of fruits nd especailly strawberries they are VERY low in points and filling too and they have good sourse of fiber....for cereal I would suggest fiber one- very filling and loaded with fiber!!

Also, I save all my 35 allowence points for Shabbos so I dont have to worry and eat a normal shabbos meal.

love ot hear more tps and ideas because right now im on a roll and cant really turn back after loosing so much weight!!!

good luck to you all!!

wow!!! thats amazing - u should be proud!
it gives me hope Smile

bubby

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 1:01 pm
I'm eating a pack of those mini rice cakes (1 point) with 1 oz of that Norman's "cream" cheese w/olives (I point). Don't waste your $$...it's very sour sour cream (which I normally love) & I'm forcing it down (I want to save my points for Shabbos so I can't spare any on lunch. But it's hard going.)

bubby

Post Sat, Jun 06 2009, 10:56 pm
Shavua Tov, Gut Voch!

I just wanted to share something I made & it was pretty good Thumbs Up Even my neighbor liked it.

FAT FREE DRESSING!!

a generous dollop of walden Farms Ranch dressing (0)
1T Smart Beat fat free mayo (0)
nice splash of balsamic vinegar
Garlic powder & splenda to taste

Whisk together. ZERO points! And as a mayo lover it made my salads sing.Music Up till now they were crying in agony Crying

NotInNJMommy

Post Sat, Jun 06 2009, 10:57 pm
bubby wrote:
Shavua Tov, Gut Voch!

I just wanted to share something I made & it was pretty good Thumbs Up Even my neighbor liked it.

FAT FREE DRESSING!!

a generous dollop of walden Farms Ranch dressing (0)
1T Smart Beat fat free mayo (0)
nice splash of balsamic vinegar
Garlic powder & splenda to taste

Whisk together. ZERO points! And as a mayo lover it made my salads sing.Music Up till now they were crying in agony Crying

YUM! I will have to check that out!
Page 1 of 22   1  2  3  20  21  22  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise