Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Food stamps
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 6:14 pm
I did not find a better place to put this post.
I got a recertification from the food stamps office. They now require a phone interview. Is this the case with everyone, or are they just asking this from me? I live in monsey. So anyone in Monsey who had to reapply for food stamps, "Did you have a phone interview, and what do they ask?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 6:18 pm
I pay a community representative to take care of it for me.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 6:19 pm
op here, I also usually send down someone. they now write that I must have a phone interview with them.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 6:24 pm
why on earth would you pay someone - when you're asking for monies ... signing a paper is simple ... following instructions of what to bring is simple ... the thought baffles me unless there would be some unique circumstances ... Confused

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 6:26 pm
Around here in New York, Ive been told the waiting time in the FS office is anything from 3-6 hours. Ive also been told that they try to ask you all kinds of trick questions and to find reasons to make you not qualify. This way if you send someone down, you save yourself an entire day, you give them all your documentation, and they answer all the questions for you.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 6:29 pm
they are now asking for a phone interview with ME. I wonder if this is something new.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 6:30 pm
amother wrote:
they are now asking for a phone interview with ME. I wonder if this is something new.

they are on to you. Twisted Evil

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 7:22 pm
anyone else in monsey was asked for a phone interview????????

mommalah

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 7:28 pm
amother wrote:
Around here in New York, Ive been told the waiting time in the FS office is anything from 3-6 hours. Ive also been told that they try to ask you all kinds of trick questions and to find reasons to make you not qualify. This way if you send someone down, you save yourself an entire day, you give them all your documentation, and they answer all the questions for you.

Trick questions? Please. You either qualify or you don't. It's pretty straightforward and simple.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 7:35 pm
mommalah wrote:
amother wrote:

Trick questions? Please. You either qualify or you don't. It's pretty straightforward and simple.

I guess I don't understand why it would be appropriate to have someone answer questions for you regarding income or other qualifying issues. A representative would only be responding based upon what the applicant said; s/he has no actual knowledge.

Shouldn't these telephone interviews be considered a *good* thing? No more waiting hours in a government office.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 7:36 pm
op here. I know youre all going to start yelling.....but I'm very very nervous.

mommalah

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 7:46 pm
amother wrote:
op here. I know youre all going to start yelling.....but I'm very very nervous.

If you are honest and legitimately qualify you really have nothing to be nervous about...
And btw, regarding trick questions, the government employees in these types of aid offices couldn't care less. It's more of a "let's get this interview over and done with so I can take my smoke break or go home.." type of attitude. I would presume that no one has that kind of loyalty mentality to try to trip people up in their responses, all for the sake of saving the government a buck or two.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 7:51 pm
thank you so much mammelah. you just relieved me so much. I have a child who has money from a gaurdian account. My lawyer got her a letter from medicaid and foodstamps that they will not file a lien against this money. We have since then moved to monsey. From where we came they never gave us a problem with this. That is why I am a bit concerned.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 7:52 pm
I called to see if I qualify and I live in Lakewood and they told me that you can't have $2,000 in savings whether it be bonds, stocks or in a bank account. Are you all telling me that every month you have less than $2,000 in all of your accounts combined? Or are people hiding their money somewhere?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 8:24 pm
Excuse me but for food stamps the law recently changed and they do not take assets or bank accounts into effect.
I could have 50,000 in the bank, and if my husband just lost his job and is unemployed, and my monthly income is within the income guidelines, I qualify.

treaty

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 8:41 pm
the rules are different in every area

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 8:43 pm
I was talking about the rules in New York.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 8:46 pm
OP, you can still send down your rep. the phone interview is optional, they just want to save you waiting time. you can still send your rep.

greenfire, I get very flustered when speaking to a gov't person, I am afraid I might say something wrong, I dont trust myself. I give all my documentation - birth certificates, proof of income, proof of address to the rep, and that's it. My dh used to go to recertify, and once he got into a whole mess and didnt know how to get out of it, so we rather went without food stamps for about a decade and scraped by, although it wasnt easy. when my first child began to eat table food it became a real necessity and we began sending down a rep. I just get all stuttery and stammery when I have to talk to a gov't employee.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 9:07 pm
op here. I just called my representative. In monsey there are no more rep. going down. You have to send in all papers and then they want to speak to you over the phone. New rule in Monsey. So if you're nervous like me to talk to govt officials good luck...I think I will take clonazpan beforehand......At least now I know they don't mean me......

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 9:24 pm
Does anyone know if Lakewood has a rep?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics