Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Checking on a baby

girliesmommy

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 6:20 am
I don't know what has gotten into me. My daughter is 17 months old and has been sleeping (12-14hrs!) through the night since she was 8 months old. Lately, I constantly feel the need to check on her. I just go in, stand near her crib and either see or feel her breathing. That's all I need to relax.
In the middle of the night if she gives a little cough, I wait a minute and then go check on her. If she sleeps a little more than her usual 2 hour nap, I'm in there to check. I'm not an overprotective mother in any sort of way (at least I think!) but she is my only child.
So, my question is, is this normal? Any ideas? Or am I just neurotic? Rolling Eyes

Tefila

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 6:40 am
Whatever you feel in this regard is normal, that is my feeling on this subject since I am the same way etc

proudmom

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 10:24 am
I am the same way.

Yael

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 10:30 am
I understand how you feel, I used to do the same thing when my babies were small, but I heard that the risk of sids is "nonexistent" after a year of age, so your baby will not simply stop breathing for no reason, maybe this will help you relax a bit.

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 11:32 am
I was a lot more neurotic when my 16 month old was a newborn. I would constantly check on her to make sure she was breathing. now, I do every so often- maybe once a week. I did hear of 15 month old (frum) SIDS case Crying .
When we use the term "overprotective" it's meant to sound negative. Why? Cuz, overprotectiveness (I think I made up that word!) is usually stifling to a child. but in your case, your child will never know about this overprotectiveness. so yes, it's probably unnecessary worrying, which if it really stresses you, then you should try to stop yourself. but, no, you're not neurotic and it's not a BAD overprotectiveness!

zuncompany

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 11:33 am
Yael? Where did you get that info, because I have heard that yes, the risk is very little, but it can happen. I go in to make sure Zu doesn't have his blanket over his head, I make sure he is warm and comfortable. I go in sometimes just to watch him because its so amazing just to sit and watch.

sara

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 11:35 am
I check on my baby, even though she's # 3. Smile

Tefila

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 4:25 pm
Or number 7 atchually always did except for the occassional time when I didn't..............

rydys

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 5:23 pm
My husband makes fun of me for this all the time! The last thing I do at night is check all my kids (even my 7 1/2 year old!) and if I get up at night to go to the bathroom or something I check them all again! Same with first thing in the morning. That's in addition to checking them regularly during the evening.

Didi

Post Sun, Jan 09 2005, 7:02 pm
The funniest thing just happend, I went upstairs to check on my kids and could not find my daughter in her bed, she was no place to be found. I checked the baby's room, the bathroom. I finally found her under the covers in my husbands bed.

rydys- I am the same as you with checking on the kids, my husband always asks what takes so long to come back from the bathroom in the middle of the night, I have to explain to him that I checked the kids and covered them.

Yael

Post Mon, Jan 10 2005, 1:47 pm
I almost always check on the kids before I go to sleep. and if I forgot and am too lazy to get out of bed I'll ask my husband to check. I dont check b/c I'm scared of sids, I check to cover them, see if their pacifier fell out and put it back, (preventative measures for middle of the night wakenings) and take away sippy cups.
I dont know where I heard that sids is up to age 12 months. I must have read it somewhere. anyhow the risk is highest between I think newborn to 3-4 months. then drops off gradually as the baby gets older with a really low rate by 12 months. maybe its possible after 12 months but not a high enough risk that I'm worried about it.

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 8:43 am
Either me or my hubby scheck beofer we go to bed, but sometimes, like zu I just go in to watch, it warms my heart to see him sleeping , he looks so serene and I get" nachas" just watching.

Rivka

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 1:40 pm
I always go into my son's room just to have a look at him and if his cover isn't covering him I make sure he is all snug, I think it's coz I miss him coz he is ded loud so when he goes to sleep the house is ded quite.
I have to stroke his hair as well when I check on him and it isn't to check his breathing coz he breaths so loudly that I can hear it on the babymonitor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics