Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Fleishig crock pot during the 9 days?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 5:44 am
Before I go on, let me say in big, bold letters, I AM asking my Rov, just waiting for him to call me back.

The whole story is I don't have a working stovetop. I want to make cous cous with vegetables for dinner tonight. I DO have a crockpot, but it is used for fleishigs. The last time it was used was 5 days ago.

The question is, can I use a fleishig crock pot to make a meat-less meal to eat during the 9 days?

So why am I posting here? For discussion and curiosity sake, I suppose.

Strawberry

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 5:52 am
I don't see why not. The pot is not even a ben yomo so the food is in no way considered fleishig.

Let us know what your rav says.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 5:54 am
Quote:
MAY ONE EAT FLEISHIG SOUP DURING THE NINE DAYS?

Although it is a dispute among poskim whether this is prohibited, Ashkenazim are strict not to eat soup made with meat or chicken. However, it is permitted to eat food cooked in a fleishig pot that contains only pareve ingredients (Mishnah Berurah 511:63).

Tova

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 8:08 am
Yes, one may use fleishig keilim in the 9 days. And I often do for fish/pareve meals, because my fleishig pots/pans are much better quality and easier to wash than my milchig ones. I use fleishig dishes or disposables when the meal is cooked in fleishig keilim.

drumjj

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 9:08 am
I asked my husband he said why not its not like ur making fleishic food. your just using fleishic stuff to make it.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 9:14 am
I have never heard that you can't use fleishig utensils in the nine days. Is it some kind of extra hiddur?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 9:33 am
MommyLuv wrote:
I have never heard that you can't use fleishig utensils in the nine days. Is it some kind of extra hiddur?

No, but it's never come up for me before - 9 Days, make pareve or dairy so I don't use my fleishig pots and pans. This year I'm limited in what I can make so I thought to use my crock pot. Rather than simply do it, I wanted to make sure so I asked my Rov (who got back to me and said it isn't a problem).

su7kids

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 9:43 am
As long as you don't eat it with dairy food, it should be fine. Keep the meal parev and serve the whole meal on fleishig dishes, but you don't have to wait afterwards before having dairy.

Barbara

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 9:52 am
YESHASettler wrote:
MommyLuv wrote:

No, but it's never come up for me before - 9 Days, make pareve or dairy so I don't use my fleishig pots and pans. This year I'm limited in what I can make so I thought to use my crock pot. Rather than simply do it, I wanted to make sure so I asked my Rov (who got back to me and said it isn't a problem).

I was wondering about this myself. The person to whom I usually pose such questions is out of the country, and my back-up, well I'd be lucky to get an answer before next year. I'd like to make veggie chili in the crockpot.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 10:01 am
Barbara wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:
MommyLuv wrote:

I was wondering about this myself. The person to whom I usually pose such questions is out of the country, and my back-up, well I'd be lucky to get an answer before next year. I'd like to make veggie chili in the crockpot.

So my Rov said pretty much what was already said - it's fine to use, serve it on fleishig dishes, don't serve dairy with it but you're not fleishig afterward.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions