Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Shobbos surgery
1  2  Next

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 9:24 pm
Has anyone had a child have surgery on shobbos? can you tell me how that works? is this common?

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 10:17 pm
If it’s done, it’s done. Speak to your Rav, it shouldn’t be a problem. Also, it’s a heiliger time for healing so go for it! May we hear Besuros Tovos.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 10:30 pm
I don't mean to be naive - but why would one do surgery on shabbos ?

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 10:31 pm
greenfire wrote:
I don't mean to be naive - but why would one do surgery on shabbos ?

if it's emergency and that's when the doctor scheduled it for...

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 10:33 pm
I've never seen an emergency scheduled ...

amother

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 10:35 pm
We had this happen. Dr knew on Thursday that the surgery would be happening on Fri. It was an emergency, but it had to wait till the next day.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 10:59 pm
greenfire wrote:
I've never seen an emergency scheduled ...

let it go. what's up with you today?!?

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 11:20 pm
hey I just wanted to know ... what's up with you ... can a girl ask a question ...

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 11:29 pm
sorry, I just feel that you should display some more sensitivity to OP. she needs validation and hugs, not questions.

boruchhashem

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 11:31 pm
My daughter actually had surgery friday night. My dh was there with her, and it was handled as it would be any other time. If its got to be done, it got to be done. Whenever it is, it should be the right moment and with the right shliach. If you need to, you can pm me with any more specific questions.

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 12:32 am
Thanks everyone. I'm really having a hard time with this.

I've been relatively rational about this whole thing, but now I'm really so scared. I really should be sleeping or pumping (my two responsibilities), but instead I'm typing on the internet and crying.

The procedure is long and urgent. Shobbos is when they think they can get time in the OR. The doctor is probably Jewish.

Thank you for all of your kind words. May shobbos be a refuah for all cholei yisroel.

boruchhashem

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 1:18 am
Which hospital will you be in? Did you arrange for food and place to sleep, etc.?

mandksima

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 4:02 am
I went through this so many times! Emergencies always happened late Friday afternoon. We were in NJ in Hackensack and they were terrific.

I gave birth, emergency c/s Friday morning.
My dd died on Friday night.
My other newborn dd had life saving surgery Shabbos morning when we weren't there.
My ds's lungs collapsed a few times over different Shabboses while hospitalized.
I had to be rehospitalized a week plus after surgery on Shabbos.
I was hospitalized over 4 Shabboses in a row including Pesach.

There are a few issues to think about but really it isn't so bad. Speak to your rav about the details.

Hatzlacha raba. PM me if you need more details.

happyone

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 7:35 am
Shabbos surgery is different than regular surgery as A- it's obviously an emergency if they are operating over the weekend, and you don't have access to the phone, email etc for support and guidance. However the good thing is that the staff is not overworked as it's only one or two emergencies they deal with so it's not the regular chaos that goes into the usual OR area. They can fully devote their efforts to your child and you and your dh, with time to explain, answer questions, and attempt to calm you.

Make sure you take everything you need for shabbos + of course extra boxes of chocolate (always helpful!) if you are in a NY hospital, I can guide you as far as obtaining food from chesed organizations and sleeping accommodations.
PM me, I've been there. done that.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 9:16 am
my apologies if my questions were bothersome

everything should go successfully and may you child have a complete refuah !!!

PAMOM

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 11:08 am
Refuah shelayma to your baby. Please let us know how everything goes. Just pack the same bag you would for any overnight and I second the chocolate (or smacks in general) idea. Take reading material. Can you let us know what hospital you're in? Someone may be within walking distance (or know someone) if you'd like company.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 11:47 am
DH had surgery on Friday that went into Shabbos and he had to stay in the hospital over Shabbos.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I can tell you what I did (in terms of staying near the hospital, food, etc.)

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 12:04 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
sorry, I just feel that you should display some more sensitivity to OP. she needs validation and hugs, not questions.

I've been in the emergency room on shabbos more than once

on one particular situation I even had to some up the courage to ask the nurse for a phone on shabbos so I could call the only person who I knew would come sit with me so I didn't have a nervous breakdown

I never said it wasn't needed - I simply wanted to understand how one knew of emergency beforehand

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 12:37 pm
yes, my ds needed surgery once and they davka wanted to do it on the weekend becasue it is less busy. bh they agreed to do it on sunday.

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Sun, Jul 26 2009, 6:41 pm
Hi everyone,
Thanks for your kind words. The surgery was scheduled for shobbos, but they put it off until today.
My baby has been in surgery since 8am! I can't stand it!! How long can they work!?!?!

B"H, we live very close to an excellent hospital. For a few reasons, we weren't able to stay in the hospital proper for shobbos.

We had arranged for the doctors to call us (we were monitoring our answering machine) when they took our baby in, and my husband was going to go be by the bedside.

So that's the story.
Thanks again everyone. What you had written really made me feel better.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics