Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Need help...writing on material

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 8:22 pm
I need to write out a pasuk on a peice of linen material. I tried outlining with a stencil and a pencil, but I'm finding it difficult cuz the material keeps stretching/moving. are there any tips on how to do this correctly?

I'm nervous to do straight on paint before penciling it...is that the only way to go?

thanks!

sim

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 8:25 pm
You could try putting it on a canvas stretcher, if you can find one that's the right size. That should hold it stationary.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 9:00 pm
Working on your wimple? (I just finished mine if you are)

I didn't do the outlining myself. He did it free hand with a pencil. I think he just weighed down both ends and kept the fabric steady. I'm not sure how he did it. He did 2 for me and #1 the fabric was much thinner then it should have been but it was okay. Try using a blunt pencil, rather then a pointy pencil.

I used paint markers to outline his pencilled letters. It didn't pull the fabric at all - it was very easy to use. but I would also be afraid to do it without it penciled in first.

Also, make sure the seams are down (the seams on one of ours are facing up). and draw the lines to keep it all straight before hand.

Good luck.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 9:04 pm
sky wrote:
Working on your wimple? (I just finished mine if you are)

I didn't do the outlining myself. He did it free hand with a pencil. I think he just weighed down both ends and kept the fabric steady. I'm not sure how he did it. He did 2 for me and #1 the fabric was much thinner then it should have been but it was okay. Try using a blunt pencil, rather then a pointy pencil.

I used paint markers to outline his pencilled letters. It didn't pull the fabric at all - it was very easy to use. but I would also be afraid to do it without it penciled in first.

Also, make sure the seams are down (the seams on one of ours are facing up). and draw the lines to keep it all straight before hand.

Good luck.

yes, yes, yes! who is "he" that did it free hand? and how much did whoever this person is charge you, and how long did it take? we are aiming for chol hamoed sukkos and I havent started yet!

yersp

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 9:05 pm
whats a wimple?

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 10:36 pm
a what ?!?!?!

have you tried using tape to tape the stencil in place - then move the pencil gently ...

sky

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 9:20 am
Twizzlers wrote:

yes, yes, yes! who is "he" that did it free hand? and how much did whoever this person is charge you, and how long did it take? we are aiming for chol hamoed sukkos and I havent started yet!

I'll check if dh still has his contact information. He is in Washington Heights and reffered to himself as the "Walmart" wimple maker. He just stencils the letters with pencil, draws vines around the edges, and puts pictures by the mitzvas. It came out very nice. I think he charged us $60 each (or maybe that was for both...).

ds already turned 3 a few months ago but we were waiting until he was toilet trained to bring it to the shul. Now I just have to find a shabbos when everyone can come so I can make a kiddush.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 9:31 am
Buhlight wrote:
whats a wimple?

Not to change Twizzler's topic but a wimple is a German minhag where when a boy turns three (and is toilet trained) he brings a belt to the sefer torah.
At the bris the baby lays on a piece of white linen. That linen is then sewn into a thick belt and decorated with words that say the boys full name, date of birth, and bracha that he should grow up to chuppah, torah, and ma'asim tovim.
I'm not sure exactly how it works but I think the father gets and an aliya, maybe at the end, the boy brings the belt to the sefer torah and they wrap the torah in the belt.
Typically there is a small kiddush after word.
This is instead of an upsherin.
In German minhag shuls they wrap the sefer torah in these belts always instead of a gartel as done in most other shuls. Then they rotate the wimples. The wimple will also be used on a boy's bar mitzvah, and at his ufruf.

I got all this from my dh, I didn't grow up with this minhag, so if I made any mistakes please correct me.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:06 am
sky wrote:

I'll check if dh still has his contact information. He is in Washington Heights and reffered to himself as the "Walmart" wimple maker. He just stencils the letters with pencil, draws vines around the edges, and puts pictures by the mitzvas. It came out very nice. I think he charged us $60 each (or maybe that was for both...).

ds already turned 3 a few months ago but we were waiting until he was toilet trained to bring it to the shul. Now I just have to find a shabbos when everyone can come so I can make a kiddush.

wow, if you could find out that info for me, you'd be saving me a ton of money and heartache. The last guy I called said $300 each! and I also have another one in a year and a half, I wouldnt mind doing both at once.

oh, and that was a pretty accurate description of a wimpel. I also "married in" so anything I know comes from what dh told me Smile

curlytop

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:18 am
So your kid colors the belt?

sky

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:25 am
curlytop wrote:
So your kid colors the belt?

No - that is the mother's headache. It has to look nice because it is going on a Torah. They just give it to the Torah.

curlytop

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:28 am
So does the Shul actually use it as a Gartel?
This is very interesting to me...I have heard about this from relatives for years but never actually been to one LOL

sky

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 1:07 pm
Sorry Twizzler...I hope you don't mind if I keep on going.
In Washington Heights they do take the belt, and in other shuls that have the minhag (I think one or 2 shuls in Baltimore also use a wimple). If they use it they typically keep it. Shuls that keep them use them on a rotating basis and use them by the boy's bar mitzvah and ufruf.
However, I recently spoke to someone from washington Heights and they told me that there are so many in the shul now that people keep it at home. They bring it back to shul when needed.
I think we are going to do that because we couldn't find a shul in our area that uses a wimple consistently. They will use it though when we need to.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 2:57 pm
sky wrote:
Sorry Twizzler...I hope you don't mind if I keep on going.
In Washington Heights they do take the belt, and in other shuls that have the minhag (I think one or 2 shuls in Baltimore also use a wimple). If they use it they typically keep it. Shuls that keep them use them on a rotating basis and use them by the boy's bar mitzvah and ufruf.
However, I recently spoke to someone from washington Heights and they told me that there are so many in the shul now that people keep it at home. They bring it back to shul when needed.
I think we are going to do that because we couldn't find a shul in our area that uses a wimple consistently. They will use it though when we need to.

its ok, keep going Smile
yes, in Washington Heights they are stored, they dont constantly rotate them, there are just too many. Some shuls will use them on sifrei torah that dont get used so often. But some people keep it at home. I actually have dh's in our house now, since it was sitting in my mil's house anyway and I wanted to try to copy it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics