Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you only use a white table cloth on Shabbos?
1  2  Next

Do you only use a white table cloth on Shabbos?
yes  
 54%  [ 73 ]
no  
 45%  [ 60 ]
Total Votes : 133

Mommy F.

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 8:35 pm
Why do people only use white table clothes on Shabbos?

Would you use a different colored tablecloth if it looked really pretty, like silver or something?

What about a white table cloth, but with colored designs on it.

I am just wondering because I recently got colored tablecloths as gifts
and I have always used white table cloths for the Shabbos table.

Does anyone have a source to why we use white table clothes?
Is it a minhag or halacha?

solo

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 8:39 pm
nto exactly minhag
definitely not halacha
just traditional
therefore I think it looks best
colored are saved for dinner parties or shavuos
ive seen ivory or silvery tablecloths that look ok
but theres just something about a white tablecloth and silver candlesticks that is so calming

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 8:39 pm
afaik, the only source for it is the shidduchim scene. but hey, I may be missing something else.

I have two shabbos tablecloths. one is white, the other is a lovely peach color. I prefer the peach. I think it adds warmth to the dining room.

use whatever you want. if it's beautiful, it's shabbosdik.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 8:40 pm
oh, and as solo points out, white and silver look nice together. but I have brass candlesticks (by preference) and I think they look lovely on peach.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 8:42 pm
Does it have sofmething to do with zecher lemaan?

For the record, we use a lovely cream and colorful flowered tablecloth that matches our Shabbos dishes.

solo

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 8:43 pm
shidduchim?
tableclothes?
did I miss something
or does this have something to do with that overexaggerated plastic tablecloth thing people used to talk about

BrachaC

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 8:44 pm
The source for this custom (not sure if it strong enough to actually call a minhag) is that the mann was sent down to the Jews in the dessert with a white protection around it. We have two challos on the shabbos table as a reference to the mann; and so when you have a white table cloth and a white challah cover it is a strong visual reference to HaShem's chessed to the Jews in the dessert.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 8:46 pm
solo wrote:
shidduchim?
tableclothes?
did I miss something
or does this have something to do with that overexaggerated plastic tablecloth thing people used to talk about

(some) people ask if the parents use *gasp* COLORFUL tablecloths on shabbos. and if you use plastic over it, oy vey, what it says about the family...

well, I for one am a proud user of color in my life. which also means that I don't dress in all black. I guess my kids will just have to live with the fact that I'm ruining their chances in shidduchim LOL

girliemom

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 8:48 pm
mine is off-white and gold with a gold liner and is definitely shabbos'dig

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 8:51 pm
We've used a burgundy colored cloth ever since we bought one for Pesach many years ago and realized that spilled wine didn't show up on it! We still use colored cloths (mostly burgundy and we also have a navy blue one for the milchik table) even though our older son is in shidduchim -- we're living dangerously, I know.. Smile

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 8:55 pm
I used to say that my parents used colored tablecloths to avoid being mechalel shabbos. inevitably, someone would spill the wine and we used to refer to it as dyeing the tablecloth red.

my father used to also joke that we didn't serve chicken soup in the house because it was dangerous. my mother falls asleep after eating soup and my father used to worry she'd fall asleep with her face in the bowl.

so there you have it. I come from a crazy family that uses colorful tablecloths, non-silver candlesticks, doesn't serve soup friday night... and we don't always have gefilte fish either. and we use plastic tablecloths. and I wear too many colors. my poor kids...

cm

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 10:05 pm
I generally use colored tablecloths that complement the room decor. I use white on Pesach because it looks nice with our matza cover. I was unaware of symbolic meanings of tablecloth colors until today.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 10:25 pm
I never use white tablecloths, as I think they look plain.
Oh well, my mother loves white tablecloths.

RightOnTarget

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 10:32 pm
Yes exclusively white!
Just because thats what I've seen at my mom.
I use colored linings usually silver or gold underneath which I think adds a very rich color to it.

Aribenj

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 11:24 pm
I hate how white tablecloths look in our dining room and with our shabbos dishes. And we got beautiful colorful linens for our wedding. But dh insists only white for shabbos because that's how his mom did it.

Seraph

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 12:37 am
Even though I grew up with all different colored tablecloths on shabbos, it doesnt feel shabbosdik to me to have any other color tablecloth on the table aside for white. My son even knows that when there's a white tablecloth on the tablecloth its shabbos- he'll go as far as to try pulling off the tablecloth when he wants to put on music and I say "No music, its shabbos"- so he pulls the tablecloth off and says "No shabbos!"

I only own white cloth tablecloths. Would like to buy one or two of another color for when I'm entertaining guests midweek- white isnt for midweek....

alpidarkomama

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 1:21 am
mummiedearest wrote:
afaik, the only source for it is the shidduchim scene. but hey, I may be missing something else.

Rolling Laughter

smilingmom

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 6:22 am
My DH thinks white is too plain. He prefers colors or white with colorful flowers all over.
As everyone knows, he makes all the major decisions in our house.
BTW, I made three shidduchim despite my tablecloths. Wink

Tova

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 7:34 am
My husband prefers white tablecloths as it gives a more Shabbosdik look. I like to sometimes use a wine-colored one, because 1) as Rubber Ducky said, wine stains don't show, and 2) it matches our dining room chairs which I re-upholstered several years ago in wine/burgundy. [My argument is that it gives a nice royal look and THAT is Shabbosdik.] That being said, I try to do a rotation system with 2 weeks of white and then a week of wine. If we have guests then I will use white.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 7:53 am
Quote:
Why do people only use white table clothes on Shabbos?

they do?

Quote:
Would you use a different colored tablecloth if it looked really pretty, like silver or something?

of course

Quote:
What about a white table cloth, but with colored designs on it.

yes
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions