Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
What simanim do you use?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 3:32 pm
Apples in honey, fishheads, pomegranite, leeks (is that just green onions?), carrots...

What else?

Seraph

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 3:35 pm
beets, squash/gourd

pobody's nerfect

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 4:56 pm
half a raisin + celery stick = "have a raise in your salary"

half a raisin + shot of vodka + 2 shots of ginger ale + shot of tea = "have a raise in spirituality"

scb88

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 4:56 pm
Apple/Honey
Fish Head
Beets
Carrots/Black Eyed Peas
Pomegranate
Leek/Cabbage
Olives
Dates
Snake Squash

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 5:04 pm
Can you tell me what the "significance" of the other foods are? What are black eyed peas? (Did they even have black eyed peas thousands of years ago?)

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 5:25 pm
We use these for yehiratzones:
Apple, Leeks, Beetroot tops/swiss chards, Dates, Pumpkin, Green beans, Pomegranate, fish head (hard to get sheep's head here).

These simanims appear on Keritot 6a.

"In his prayer book, Beit Ya’akov, Rabbi Jacob Emden cites reasons for eating other symbolic foods, each reason derived from a play on words: rubia– that our merits be many [Heb. yirbu]; karti– that our foes be cut down [Heb. yikartu]; silka [beets] – that our foes vanish [Heb. yistalku]; tamari [dates] – that our foes cease [Heb. yitamu]; qara – that our [harsh] verdict be expunged [Heb. yikar’a] and our merits be read before You [Heb. yikar’u]. Another reason given for eating qara (Ta’amei ha-Minhagim u-Mekorei ha-Dinim) is that “it grows by the strength of the moon, which moves the tides and calls forth good deeds/mercy; and it is cold within, and this is cooling and commuting harsh punishment.” The Mishnah Berurah gives a reason for the custom of eating pomegranates: that we have as many merits as a pomegranate [has seeds]. The Shulhan Arukh gives a reason for eating fish: “because it alludes to being fruitful and multiplying as fish [spawn].”

http://www.biu.ac.il/JH/Parash......html

anonymom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 5:47 pm
My three year old just coined a new minhag. I gave him challah dough and he rolled it half-way-leaving one end skinny and one end fat. He noted it looked like a fish. I said perfect for Rosh Hashanah. He proceeded to make a bunch of "fish challahs" It's good because noone around here likes any fish and we usually buy jelly fish but I think challah fish are a better idea.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 6:33 pm
anonymom wrote:
My three year old just coined a new minhag. I gave him challah dough and he rolled it half-way-leaving one end skinny and one end fat. He noted it looked like a fish. I said perfect for Rosh Hashanah. He proceeded to make a bunch of "fish challahs" It's good because noone around here likes any fish and we usually buy jelly fish but I think challah fish are a better idea.

Better hack off the tail before yomtov and remove it from the house.

anonymom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 8:44 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
anonymom wrote:

Better hack off the tail before yomtov and remove it from the house.

Good point!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus