Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Your talents and what u do with them

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 3:11 am
I can't decide whether to put this in the social or intellectual section but I think the quest has more of an intellectual twist to it.

In school we always learned that your talents are from Hashem to be used for Him. Do u? I mean as a frum mommy HOW do u put your talents to use for Him?

I'm grappling with this issue for years as my talent is one that I feel is wasting away. and dh says my way to use it is to use it for my DD. (singing and acting) but what I wldn't give to be on stage again but dh is vehmently against it and to tell the truth I'm not so sure as a Jewish mother I belong on stage. It's something for teens with no responsibilities to do.....or is it?!

amother

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 3:19 am
same here. Would love to sing but how does a frum lady go about doing that?just doesnt seem practical. When I was younger I preformed in school choirs but today I feel like I am wasting this talent Crying

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 3:44 am
I ALWAYS had the star role in all my HS plays and when I didn't I headed the choirs and coached the actresses...what shld I do with that now?! dh says I shld sing to my dghtr....oh brother!

MOM222

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 4:04 am
Many chesed organizations would love if you volunteer and many may even pay you to make a chior, play for a party....
Or you could apply to schools and head there plays, graduations....

And there are some woman chiors around...

Personally I like the chesed idea best LOL

amother

Post Mon, Apr 10 2006, 12:35 am
maybe we should start a choir for frum women and you can head it, ILOVELIFE!

chen

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 3:15 pm
Start an entertainment group and put on a play or concert in your neighborhood once a year to raise $ for tzedokoh. depending on how sophisticated you want to get, you may call for many trades including musicians, singers, dancers, actors, costumers, makeup artists, scenery painters, lighting and microphone operators, stage hands, writers, composers, graphic designers... there is a huge motherlode (pun intended) of talent out there just waiting to be mined.

It's fun, it's in a good cause, it provides kosher local entertainment for women who may not be able to get to commercial entertainment places, it fosters individual friendships and communal harmony (pun not intended, it just popped out), it provides a marvelous outlet for that all-pent-up-and-nowhere-to-go energy and ability, and, oh, yes, did I mention that it's fun?

Last year my friend took me to see a play put on in her community. It was amazing. Who would have guessed that Mrs. A of the orthopedic shoes could be so funny or that Mrs. Z. from the bakery knew how to tap-dance and juggle?

Blossom

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 1:01 am
I'm in the same boat. Would Love to Dance and Sing again!! My husband says Go for it-but where??
In Montreal they had a beautiful production by women and girls benefiting Yaldei-an org. for special children. It was absolutely enchantalizing (LOL, I know it's not a word but it works well with how I'm trying to express myself Very Happy ) It was called "A girl named Helen"
I wish they'd have it in New York. Actually I've been thinking to arrange one myself, Hey ILOVELIFE I think we have a producer and arranger already and with Chen, amothers, MOM22 and myself some singers, actresses and dancers-NOW WHAT??

chen

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 10:48 am
Blossom wrote:
we have a producer and arranger already and with Chen, amothers, MOM22 and myself

Did I claim any theatrical talent? (I make an enthusiastic audience, though. Ya gotta have an audience, too!)

shanie5

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 11:23 am
my daughter is graduating high school this year, and is very active in the theatre field. she plans on majoring in it in college, then plans on working w/ it in the frum world. she has major talent-(just cant sing at all).
can she join your acting troop even if she is not a member of imamother?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 11:45 am
There have been a few plays in Chicago put on by women raising money for Tzeddaka. Very entertaining and popular.

Blossom

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 11:47 am
LOL Chen OK- You'll get the front seat ticket!!!!
Shanie Let's hope your daughter will have "something" to join LOL.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 8:25 pm
I just found this post and even though it's a little old I wanted to comment on it - I live in Chicago and was actually in one of the women's plays. It was an amazing experience and gave me a real outlet for my talents. (singing and acting). I don't see what the problem is for a Jewish mother to be on stage - it's all women, for women - I feel good abuot myself that I took some time for "ME" and I think it teaches my kids (and husband!) that I am a person, not just a mommy and wife!
If anyone doesn't have something like this in their city I would encourage you to get together with other women and start one. it's time consuming but really a life long memory.

happymom

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 8:41 pm
Ilovelife I see nothing wrong with using your talents to have some fun. why not start a womans play once a year.... or every couple of months. u can be in charge..... I know ppl who do this wehre im from. its great! why is acting on stage only for highschool? besides u can make the hours, and it doesnt have to be every night! it can be once a week. I think its healthy!

withhumor

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 8:49 pm
I just joined a women’s group here (quite costly) this week and for the first time since I graduated high school, I sang for real! It was exhilarating and it was refreshing. Too bad it was only for an hour. I would love to get together more than once a week in Boro Park area, even if its just reading classic plays and clowning around a bit with the parts, it would be so much fun.

I can do accents and hysterical acting and I love music and singing, mediocre voice though.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 5:18 am
I play my instruments whenever I want to and belong to a womens' choral group in Y-m.

I also spend many hours/wk writing. I give a shiur once or twice a week and learn one day a week. Not enough for my taste but to do otherwise I would have to retire and get a maid.

hila

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 6:11 am
Have a look at
http://www.raiseyourspirits.org/

I belong to this. We are now on our 4th show. Each ran for between 12-20 performances.

An amazing way to express talent and give. And an opportunity for all ages to be together in a warm atmosphere.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics