Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
14 YEAR OLD AND MISSING PERIODS
1  2  Next

shlishka

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 3:32 pm
My daughter is 14 1/2 and got her first period about a year ago. She's been basically regular since - maybe missed one or two periods. She just told me that she hasn't gotten her period since June. Does anyone know if this is something I should wait out, or deal with? be concerned about? She is hesitant to go to the Dr. and I know if I call, they will tell me to bring her in.
Anyone else here have such an experience?
TIA

amother

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 3:35 pm
I was told that it's unhealthy to go for more than three months (90 days) without your period - by two different doctors. They said if I went that long (I have PCOS and had VERY long cycles for a while), they would give me something to bring on another cycle.

I would definitely call the doctor and tell them that she really doesn't want to go in. It could be they can just prescribe something to bring on a period. Or it could be they'd want to figure out WHY her cycle stopped, in which case they might say that it's really important for her to come in.

Hatzlacha...

str82thepoint

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 3:38 pm
It can't hurt to speak to a doctor. But I wouldn't panic, at 14, the hormones are not completely regulated.

freshie

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 3:38 pm
I was the same at times 5 months would go without having it, I went to the Doc and she wasn't too concerned and said they don't look into it before 16. until I got married I wasn't regular missing 3 months sometimes and I was worried but BH became pregnant straight away! Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 3:47 pm
Just a funny story about missing periods.

I remember when I was 14 years old I didn't get my period for 3 months. I was petrified because I thought that I was pregnant. LOL LOL To my knowledge I knew that you know when you are pregnant when you miss your period. I had little to no knowledge about everything in this area. So I started asking my close friends (not straight out) about how you become pregnant. (I thought I drank something LOL ) I got a lot of twisted information but over the years I found out exactly what happens.

I guess this is a story for another thread on how you found out about s@x.

Barbara

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 3:50 pm
shlishka wrote:
My daughter is 14 1/2 and got her first period about a year ago. She's been basically regular since - maybe missed one or two periods. She just told me that she hasn't gotten her period since June. Does anyone know if this is something I should wait out, or deal with? be concerned about? She is hesitant to go to the Dr. and I know if I call, they will tell me to bring her in.
Anyone else here have such an experience?
TIA

I assume that there's no chance that she's pregnant or using drugs.

Has she gained or lost a lot of weight recently? That could certainly be a trigger for missed periods.

Otherwise, as someone else said, its pretty normal not to have regular cycles at her age. Make sure she has products with her all the time (eg, in her school locker) as she hasn't a clue when it will start back up. Talk to her pediatrician if she doesn't get her period soon. Otherwise, its probably not a big deal.

kikikiki

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 3:58 pm
hi my 12 year old girls have for year a periods and year after a period stop
the GP say because she lots lot of kilos , so now BH she on normal weight she 14 and I still waiting a period to come

shlishka

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 4:23 pm
She is actually very thin. No chance of drugs or any of that stuff. I'm thinking over the summer she might have been more active...
I told her to let me know if she still didn't get it after Sukkos, and we'll call the Dr then. She's not excited about me calling, and I do want her to feel comfortable talking to me, so I gave it till then. She's enjoying the break of not having to deal with it!
Thanks everyone for your replies.

g96be

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 4:24 pm
I think this is really normal and nothing to worry about.

I am skinny (but not too skinny) and until I went on birth control before my wedding I did not have regular periods. I did not get one period my entire year in Israel and beside that I often missed several several months at a time between periods. I BH got pregnant right away when I got married.

My doctor said that this is not a concern at all (like others have said) and that there is even an approved medicine now that makes people miss periods on purpose so theres no medical need to get your period every month.

mommy#1

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 4:27 pm
I say to ask a dr for a prescription for a blood test just to find out if she has pcos-its not a big deal to take a blood test-maybe she wont even have to go to the dr

amother

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 4:29 pm
Also severe stress might have made it happen. Even though that's less likely over summer vacation, with no school, but that happened to me once - I missed 2 periods when I had a major stressor in my life - when I was 16 and had been getting my period for a while already.

pinkbubbles

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 5:07 pm
being underweight or losing weight quickly can also cause a loss of periods..

amother

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 5:17 pm
Before I got married I never got my period in the summer. Dont know why this happened but I always missed June, July & August! Once I went on birth control I got it every month.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 5:17 pm
I would definitely recommend a visit to the doctor. I was in the same situation at her age. It turned out I had PCOS. I didn't bleed for several months but the uterine lining kept building up anyway—and eventually it will slough off and be absolutely horrific and painful. Hopefully that's not the case here but I wouldn't wait, just in case.

goodluck

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 5:55 pm
we never worry about missed periods over the summer. Also for the first year periods are not regular

goodluck

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 5:58 pm
dr will not tell you to come in. Ihad the same concern with a 17 yr old. She just got it. But I did ask dr. good luck

Butterfly

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 6:04 pm
As a girl I never got my periods during the 'entire' summer season (June-Sept/Oct.). As far as remember, it was quite common for young girls not to menstruate during the summer season. I have quite a few friends and relatives who experienced the same as I did.
The first time I menstruated during the summer was during the first year after I got married. I just turned 20 at the time.
I would let it go for now.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 6:06 pm
I was irregular as a teen. turns out I have pretty bad PCOS. but there isnt much you can do about it when youre still single.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 6:06 pm
Nothing to worry about at this age when many girls don't get it monthly yet. Also, going to camp or going out of town for the summer - the change of season or change of climate can have an effect.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 8:32 pm
my mother also didn't have her period in the summers when she was a teenager. I'm not sure if she had them in the summer after she was married.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics