Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Cooking today - do I freeze?

Peanut2

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 8:24 am
Sunday lunch will be the first time I'm hosting a meal since I got married.
It will be milchig and I'm cooking today. I'm trying to figure out whether I need to freeze things (if I have room for them in the freezer!) or keep them in the fridge, or maybe just organize the ingredients and just put it all together tomorrow. Was wondering if I could get advice on what to do with:
lasagna
lentil soup
pesto (homemade)
veggie stew (can't use cholent pot bc it's fleishig)

Thank you!!

katb

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 8:33 am
I would leave it all in the fridge - no need to freeze

sunny90

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 8:35 am
The lasagna I think you should probably make today and freeze.
Pesto freezes well so you may as well, if you have time today.
The soup and stew you could probably make tomorrow and keep in the fridge. We do that a lot.
I find I'm just much less stressed when I do what I can in advance! It makes it all seem much easier.
Good luck!

sky

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 9:38 am
I would leave in the fridge. Unless your oven is going to be very warm to heat the food quickly you will have to take it out anyway motzei shabbos to defrost. I don't think in 4 days the food will go bad. It just may not last long as leftovers (or put it into the freezer right after the meal so that you have it as leftovers)

pinktichel

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 9:40 am
I definitely would not freeze. I often make things like lasagna on a Thursday for Sunday.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 10:09 am
like sky said, it won't go bad... but think about the reheating process. you have very little time from motzei shabbos zman until the meal begins (1 hour?) so you have to be able to warm up the food fast. I find that the oven is the best for that, but not enough to bring a soup to a boil. So I usually leave one flame on medium plus the oven on 200. boil on the flame, pop into oven.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus