Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Asking Jewish Dr.'s about fasting...

mommalah

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:07 pm
I am almost 8 months into a "high risk" pregnancy and I am on medication for it. I've never been in this situation before during Y"K so I figured I would call my high risk ob and then my Rav to find out about fasting.

I was told that I must drink somewhat during the day for any fast by the Dr. who diagnosed my "condition" initially. It is this condition that makes my pregnancies high risk. So previously when not pregnant I drank small shiurim of water every fifteen minutes or so. (as per my Rav based on what this original Dr. said)

So I called my high risk ob to ask about fasting. He wasn't available so his "partner" in the practice who I had spoken to only once before about a refill for my meds got on the phone. I though he might be Jewish b/c of his name and started out by saying there is an upcoming Jewish fast, and he quickly cut me off and said, "I wish you a G'mar Chatima Tovah, etc....I said "oh, sorry, wasn't sure if you were Jewish or not. Anyhoo, he said that a woman should not fast in pregnancy, don't be a hero....I said is it b/c I am high risk or would you say this to any pregnant woman. He said he would recommend no preg woman fast and especially not a high risk one and said that the baby needs constant nourishment.I asked if I could get by with just drinking and he said, "No, yo have to eat as well.". He then quoted something (which he says is from the Talmud) to the effect of how it is wrong to be a "pious fool." I very much doubt he is frum and feel as if he is not giving me an unbiased opinion because he is a secular Jew and finds religious stuff ridiculous (my assumptions...)

So I decide to call the Dr. who diagnosed me to begin with to ask him./ I was transferred to his Physician's assistant. Well, it turns out she is Jewish too!! I never met her and don't know whether or not she is frum. She said no way to fasting! I asked to speak to the Dr. directly and she got quite offended..She said because of my high risk status and the meds I am taking I cannot fast. I asked if I can get away with just drinking water and she said no!

So now I am waiting for a call back from the Dr. I know he is not jewish and will be able to give me an unbiased opinion.

Soo frustrating...Can a secular Jew (be trusted to) give an unbiased opinion about religious issues such as these?

Flowerpot

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 1:10 pm
You just tell your Rav all that the Dr said.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 5:31 pm
I also have a non-frum doctor who thinks pregnant women shouldn't fast. This pg, when I asked him (and this was after tisha b'av when I'd gotten another doctor in the practice who did his residency in EY, so he "got it" and even though not frum told me to drink if I needed to, but it was fine to fast) I started by saying "I know you don't think pg women should fast, but is there anything that makes me different from a regular pg woman in your practice." (That was btw the question that my Rav told me to ask)

It turns out that there are a few conditions that I have that make it more risky for me to fast. He told me what they were and why a fast would impact them. Then I asked him if I did an oz of powerade every 15 minutes and stayed in bed, if that would be okay. He said that sounded fine, but if x, y or z happens then I would need more.

I was actually really happy with the resolution. You know, it's funny, I remember what I did with my last pg on YK, but I have absolutely no recollection of what I did my first pregnancy other that that I went to Kol Nidrei, wasn't public yet about the pregnancy, and ended up taking care of someone else's baby that was making a lot of noise.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 6:45 am
No, a non-frum person has no ne'emanus over a [gentile] in terms of this. For medical information, specific to your case, that can be handed over, and only a rav can pasken (even with a frum doctor!) though the rav might get in contact with a frum OB to discuss it in more detail.

Marion

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 7:26 am
I didn't even ask my OB. I called the Rav, said "I have fasted before during pregnancy. This is what has happened. Given my medical history what should I do?" My doctor can't change my medical history, and her opinion on whether I should/should not would not be changed by my history (she generally thinks women who feel fine can fast and those who don't feel up to it shouldn't, so even she leaves it up to how you're feeling) so it was ONLY a question for the Rav.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions