Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Israel - Rabbi Elyashiv: No Crocs on Yom Kippur
1  2  3  Next

happyone

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 8:46 pm
http://www.vosizneias.com/3899.....ippur

greenfire

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 8:48 pm
while I can't stand crocs in general ... I think yom kippur would be the most appropo time to wear them ... better than no shoes at all ... not to mention how else should people stand all day in shul ... it's hard enough ... Confused

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 8:54 pm
I hear what he's saying...

Atali

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 8:56 pm
At least according to the way it was quoted on VIN, he seemed to be saying that it would be good not to wear Crocs and a hiddur, not as halacha.

mimivan

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 9:01 pm
I too understand what he is saying...Like Atali...I hear that he was saying "better not to" rather than assur." My rabbonim haven't come out with any statements against crocs...I have no money for other shoes...so therefore, if you happen to see me in crocs...I have hereby attempted to explain myself... Wink

chavamom

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 9:06 pm
But most people wear tennis shoes or similar. w What exactly should we be wearing that is not comfortable?

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 9:11 pm
I don't see it as a hiddur when it's said as not preferable. If Rav Elyashiv has said, the best is if you wear x, then that's a hiddur. By saying, it's preferable not to wear something, while it's not assur, it really shouldn't be done.

I wonder what my Rav thinks.

Atali

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 9:21 pm
It wasn't just what he said that made me write that it seems like a hiddur, it is also the context in which it was said.

He didn't print out a kol korei saying that Crocs shouldn't be worn on Yom Kippur, rather when asked by a yeshiva bochur (who presumably is on a pretty high level to even ask that question) if he could wear shoes he regularly wears.

I wonder if he even wanted this publicized.

octopus

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 9:58 pm
first of all, context of a shailah is a big deal like atali said. plus, you don't necessarily know the whole story. maybe someone else has a whole agenda against crocs in general and publicized this. hey, you never know. I can see that happening. Unless I hear the story first hand or from a reliable source (NOT the internet) I remain skeptical.

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 10:08 pm
I see what he's saying and I dont like crocs bc theyve become a trend (and I think theyre ugly) but my mother bought them for me cuz I had nothing else to wear. (I have a pair that doesnt look like the regular crocs that everyone wears, but a sllip on). When I got them they were very comfortable and now 2 years later they are not at all what they once were...plus with my fractured foot I have only 2 or 3 pairs of shoes that fit anyway and so ill put on what I can....in future years ill take his words into consideration but right now I dont think id last in shul..

happyone

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 11:01 pm
Crocs are UGLY and in my opinion bedroom wear, not for outside the home. However, they are comfortable, and being that you are on your feet a lot of yom kippur davening and fasting, I would think it's great to be comfortable so that you can get through the day. This was interesting, and I never thought the not wearing leather shoes had to do with comfortable. Guess I really don't think things through...

chavamom

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 11:04 pm
"Bedroom wear". Funny, they were invented for hospital workers!

happyone

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 11:07 pm
I know. By 'bedroom wear' I mean in the home. look around though and see who's wearing them. YOu see guys in the street with the flashy colored crocs, respectable women wearing them in hot pink in the grocery, teens going shopping in them etc.
BTW, it's a fad in my opinion and is dying down at least in my neck of the woods. Give it another two years and it will be completely outdated no matter how comfortable.

Boys"R"Us

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:08 am
When I was a kid, and actually still... I always liked Yom Kippur because it was the only day that I could wear "comfortable" shoes to shul!
The irony of course being, that the whole thing about not wearing leather shoes, is that we should NOT have comfortable shoes on Yom Kippur.
Me? I always found wearing sneakers to shul, while looking a bit strange, with Yom Tov clothing, was FAR more comfortable than leather high-heeled Shabbos shoes!
One of those things that just never made sense to me...

~Debbie

sequoia

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:10 am
Vicious Babushka had what to say about this -- wonder if she's on this site.

Marion

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 1:16 am
Well, since it's EYK and that's what I own that fits, that's what I'll be wearing. And I'd rather be seen in those than in shower shoes or bedroom slippers.

(I always said that the no leather rule was clearly made by a man...there's NOTHING as uncomfortable as high heels, even if they're made of leather!)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 2:01 am
No crocs, probably also no sneakers in those circles... then WHAT?

In my x community I saw plenty of heels (leather) because women wanted to look good Rolling Eyes

pina colada

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 2:17 am
It says that on YK we should be uncomfortable, no eating, drinking, washing hands, wearing leather shoes. I did learn in school that if one has really comfortable shoes, sneakers even if not leather, it is preferable not to wear on YK. IMO most non leather shoes or sneakers, are not as comfortable as the leather ones.

Butterfly

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 2:44 am
During Tisha B'av I saw so many men wearing crocks. Did Rabbi Elyashiv mention that he prefers this ruling for Yom Kippur only? I haven't read the link yet..

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 3:44 am
Marion wrote:
Well, since it's EYK and that's what I own that fits, that's what I'll be wearing. And I'd rather be seen in those than in shower shoes or bedroom slippers.

(I always said that the no leather rule was clearly made by a man...there's NOTHING as uncomfortable as high heels, even if they're made of leather!)
same here. I have no other shoes that are not leather and I dont even won a pair of slippers. my crocs are my slippers. so I will also be wearing them.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics