Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Israel - Rabbi Elyashiv: No Crocs on Yom Kippur
Previous  1  2  3  Next

su7kids

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 3:51 am
Baruch Hashem the Chabad rabbis have responded, see crownheights.info and collive.com and I will continue wearing my crocs, which I wear 7 days a week. blue mary janes for the week and black ones for shabbos. I have feet issues.

mimivan

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 4:19 am
su7kids wrote:
Baruch Hashem the Chabad rabbis have responded, see crownheights.info and collive.com and I will continue wearing my crocs, which I wear 7 days a week. blue mary janes for the week and black ones for shabbos. I have feet issues.

so what did they respond? (I'm assuming it's okay..)

freidasima

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 4:34 am
I understand and accept R. Eliyashiv's pask but our way around it is that we don't have REAL crocs, we have the cheepie disgusting ripoffs which are NOT comfortable for standing at all! So no problem, we are davka VERY uncomfortable in them. As in our shul there is probabaly no one who accepts this psak anyone it's not going to be maris ayin to wear them. DH wears canvas shoes, the girls wear cloth sandals and one boy is wearing sneakers and the other is a chayal on active duty and where he is and considering what he is going to be doing, he will be in his army boots and I just hope that nothing happens to him during his pe'ilut that day (yes there is pe"ilut mivtzait in certain places on YK in EY and may we not know from it....) he should just be safe and my davening starts with him.

FraydaSue

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 4:37 am
First - it wasn't a psak, it was an eitzer. Secondly, the real Crocs are much more comfortable than the cheapos.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 4:55 am
Isn't this what would be called taking (or not taking) on a chumra?

As far as comfort, I require designer sneakers with custom made insoles, and I can attest to the fact that Crocs (even the real ones) are nowhere near as supportive to the feet. So for me at least, weraing Crocs on YK or TB is a "step down".

BTW the reason for my foot trouble is having not worn supportive shoes during my pregnancies and while constantly carrying around my 7th and 8th children postpartum, and dancing with both of them on my hips to keep them happy. All you pregnant and postpartum moms out there - wear supportive shoes, and forget the pinching, silly fashions created by uncaring male designers who only want your money.

Inspired

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 6:33 am
They should have thought of the idea that more comfortable shoes may not be in the spirit of the law 25 years ago when we were wearing keds. I don't see the difference.

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 6:34 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Marion wrote:
Well, since it's EYK and that's what I own that fits, that's what I'll be wearing. And I'd rather be seen in those than in shower shoes or bedroom slippers.

(I always said that the no leather rule was clearly made by a man...there's NOTHING as uncomfortable as high heels, even if they're made of leather!)
same here. I have no other shoes that are not leather and I dont even won a pair of slippers. my crocs are my slippers. so I will also be wearing them.

me 3...

anyways I live in canvas shoes so....

chanab

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 8:49 am

Last edited by chanab on Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

chaylizi

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 9:48 am
not wanting to belittle R' Elyashiv or a psak that he (possibly) made, I asked my husband if it was ok for me to wear crocs on YK. (we don't usually follow litvishe piskei halacha, but a gadol is a gadol) He said it was fine. it is usually pretty problematic when a yachid goes to a Rav & publicizes a private psak. if R Elyashiv had wanted the whole yeshivish world to know about this, he would have written up a kol koreh & all the frum newspapers would have published it last week. no one would hear about this if they didn't have the internet. that makes me kind of skeptical.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 1:01 pm
did any of you notice the embellishments ... shock

http://www.crocs.com/jibbitz/j......html

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 1:48 pm
I think white tichels and aprons are kitchen wear... they should be outlawed to shul on Yom Tov too!

chaylizi

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 2:37 pm
hey! I wear a white tichel on YK...

Isramom8

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 4:03 pm
I'll take a pink flower jibbit, and the pink awareness ribbon is a cool idea.
I noticed that Hamodia advertised Crocs For Yom Kippur. Yup, it did.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 5:38 pm
chaylizi wrote:
not wanting to belittle R' Elyashiv or a psak that he (possibly) made, I asked my husband if it was ok for me to wear crocs on YK. (we don't usually follow litvishe piskei halacha, but a gadol is a gadol) He said it was fine. it is usually pretty problematic when a yachid goes to a Rav & publicizes a private psak. if R Elyashiv had wanted the whole yeshivish world to know about this, he would have written up a kol koreh & all the frum newspapers would have published it last week. no one would hear about this if they didn't have the internet. that makes me kind of skeptical.

According to what I read on the site, he didn't Assur Crocs. In response to someone's question he said that it's BETTER not to wear them. But not halachically assur.

In any event, I can tell you all that I wore my fakeroo Crocs this year and believe me - I suffered. I felt every single stone underfoot and I was miserable walking to shul. My husband wore his and each and every one of my kids wore theirs (fake ones).

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 6:35 pm
Fasting is uncomfy enough, if we must stand in painful shoes, forget it.

Now... aprons??

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 6:41 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Fasting is uncomfy enough, if we must stand in painful shoes, forget it.

Now... aprons??

Aprons and white tichels (over sheitels) are minhagim in certain Chassidish communities.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 9:04 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

According to what I read on the site, he didn't Assur Crocs. In response to someone's question he said that it's BETTER not to wear them. But not halachically assur.

In any event, I can tell you all that I wore my fakeroo Crocs this year and believe me - I suffered. I felt every single stone underfoot and I was miserable walking to shul. My husband wore his and each and every one of my kids wore theirs (fake ones).

it POURED here. my little croc encased feet got kinda wet. totally comfy and everything.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 10:08 am
Getting one's feet wet on YK...now that's another issue...

louche

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 10:17 am
Come on, people, this wasn't an edict sent out from On High for World Jewry. This was a psak for one particular yeshiva bocher from his rebbe. Not for all the bocherim in the yeshiva, not for all the Jews in EY, certainly not for all the jews in the world, and the person asking was a guy, not a woman. Furthermore, the psak had to do not with how nice or not nice the shoes in question look, not with whether or not they are trendy, but with whether or not they are comfortable. So what is everyone getting all hot under the collar and defensive about? Rav E didn't say YOU mustn't wear crocs, in fact he didn't even say the bocher in question mustn't wear them, he simply said that, inasmuch as the shoes are too comfortable, it's better not to. In fact one could get around the problem of excessive comfort by putting some sand in the shoe, which is what one is advised to do if it's necessary to walk a great distance over difficult terrain and leather shoes are necessary to protect the feet from injury.

I fail to see the value of publishing a psak that was given to an individual--very irresponsible IMO--and even less value debating it and defending one's choice of YK footwear.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 10:19 am
Thumbs Up Louche
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics