Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Child Found In BP
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 4:00 am
Quote:
She was merely citing the obvious.

Maybe it sounded obvious to her, cause the drinking on S"T is mostly a lubavitch thing.

LeahW

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 4:14 am
I know what it's like to have one of those kids who just slips away. It's happened with me, with babysitters, in daycare... B"H he was never lost for long. Don't dare to judge others!

With that said, there should be PSA's to remind people to keep an eye on their kids. Even if they're in shul they aren't necessarily safe if they aren't being watched. Little ones can run out, or chas v'shalom there could be pedophiles hanging out in shul, waiting for the opportunity of a distracted parent. We need to gently remind parents of the dangers.

Raizle

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 4:43 am
ValleyMom wrote:
Sorry folks I agree withbubby
I cannot imagine parents not noticing a missing toddler for several hours unless substance abuse was involved. ST involves lots of irresponsible inebriated adults. My youngest was a wandering toddler NOT several hours--- at the most a minute or two. Eventually hired a locksmith to install high security locks on the front and back doors. No bubbybashing necessary. She was merely citing the obvious.

It's not so obvious.
who says it was several hours and who says they didn't notice her missing? Just because the OP didn't know where they are? They could have been around the next corner headed in the wrong direction looking frantically for their child.

It's crazy how a person can post a little unexplained story with very VERY little information and everyone has already invented a whole cholent of details that we are not stated any where.
this is so ridiculous I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

shalhevet

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 4:49 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Quote:

Maybe it sounded obvious to her, cause the drinking on S"T is mostly a lubavitch thing.

Who reported this? I don't know if drinking on ST is mostly a Lub thing, but I do know that I have never, never seen it. Or is someone confusing Purim with ST?

smilingmom

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 7:33 am
shalhevet wrote:
I don't know if drinking on ST is mostly a Lub thing, but I do know that I have never, never seen it. Or is someone confusing Purim with ST?

I have a DH and 3 adult sons and have never heard of the minhag of drinking on Simchas Torah.

Bubby, assuming arguendo, that the father had a habit of drinking (whether on ST or any other day), don't you think the mother of the two year old bears some responsibility of allowing the two year old to be with a potentially inebriated adult???

gz

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 10:56 am
removed

Last edited by gz on Wed, Feb 27 2019, 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total

pina colada

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 11:20 am
chayitty wrote:
I was also in the area and was curious to find out what happened...they had thought that the boy belonged to someone that hatzolah took to the hosiptal but they werent sure...

There are so many possible scenarios, why would it be assumed that this child wandered away from his father in shul?

As far as I know, when pple daven in a shul that finishes that late, the young kids are not with their fathers in shul, they are home with their mothers.

hello

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 11:24 am
wow.... easy on her please! all she meant was thats what makes the most sense after all guys do get drunk & they're not as careful as we women are! she didn't mean anything bad let her be!!!!!!!!!

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 11:31 am
They could have noticed he was missing and been looking for him.
They could have thought he was asleep in his crib and have been taking a nap themselves.
We don't know.
Let's wait.

Mrs. Crocs

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 11:31 am
Who leaves their 2-year-old child with their husband in shul, anyways?

B"H, I heard that s/o came forth to claim the child for the parents (who I hear were embarrassed to show their faces).

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 11:32 am
eva0219 wrote:

I do. My dd loves the shul.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 12:02 pm
Ruchel wrote:
eva0219 wrote:

I do. My dd loves the shul.

I would also leave my 2 year old is shul with my husband (for a short period of time). I don't because it's a little too far for him to walk and we have no eiruv here, but whenever I take him to shul (on yomim tovim) he sits so nicely and LOVES going to shul. I also know that dh is a responsible parent and I have no reason not to trust him to watch any of our kids.

Mrs. Crocs

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 1:03 pm
Depends on the child, I guess. I can't take my eyes off my 2-year-old so I wouldn't dream of leaving him in shul w/my husband who's supposed to be davening.

kitov

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 1:06 pm
So nuch alle masses, were the kid and parents united?

Is the child ok?

I'll worry about the blame game later, first I want to know if the child is safe.

I've been following this thread since last night, and all I'm hearing is condemning/supprting the parents.

Where is the poor kiddo now?

Flowerpot

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 1:37 pm
kitov wrote:
So nuch alle masses, were the kid and parents united?

Is the child ok?

I'll worry about the blame game later, first I want to know if the child is safe.

I've been following this thread since last night, and all I'm hearing is condemning/supprting the parents.

Where is the poor kiddo now?

Same here. Anyone here know real facts.

And bubby I love you dearly but don't know why u jumped to judge. or maybe its was because we were all over eating overtired and over smelly that this whole bashing came from.

I hope the parents were found

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 1:51 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Quote:

I was raised about as far from Lubavitch as possible. I'm still pretty distant from them on the Orthodox continuum, and attend a *dry* shul. Still, even *I* am familiar with the practice of drinking on Simchat Torah. Indeed, its one of those holidays on which we're usually advised to watch our teens, lest they drink (or drink too much). I don't believe its just a Lubavitcher tradition.

Hope the child is well. With or without additional lubrication, its unfortunately easy for a child to wander away during the celebration. I'm glad the child was safe and being looked after.

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 2:42 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

what rock are you under ... I assure you as someone who usually davens in a shul that is not lubavitch - plenty of yeshivish people drink on simchas torah ...

not to mention that there is no such thing as "mostly" that is like saying one is mostly pregnant - they either are or they're not ...

and simchas torah aside - face the reality there are women who have their dh's take the kids to shul while they sleep in late - then the dh can't daven so he lets the kids run amok ... it's a total disgrace to every jew no matter where located - no matter what sect - because shul is a makom kadosh and not a playground ...

youngbubby

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 2:45 pm
People ned to watch their children all the time not just on simchas torah...Yes alchol is a problem but even if the men drink the women dont usually drink...where was the childs mother???Im sure this was just some terrible mistake and I hope the child was brought to his parents quickly and safely....

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 3:17 pm
Barbara wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Quote:

I was raised about as far from Lubavitch as possible. I'm still pretty distant from them on the Orthodox continuum, and attend a *dry* shul. Still, even *I* am familiar with the practice of drinking on Simchat Torah. Indeed, its one of those holidays on which we're usually advised to watch our teens, lest they drink (or drink too much). I don't believe its just a Lubavitcher tradition.

Hope the child is well. With or without additional lubrication, its unfortunately easy for a child to wander away during the celebration. I'm glad the child was safe and being looked after.

they drink in our shul too. But only one person got even slightly drunk and he certainly wasn't lubavitch. But drinks are available at every kiddush...we call one of the other shuls in town the pub becasue there is more alchohol then food at their kiddushim.

I'm glad this baby was found, I'm curious to know how it happened.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 3:31 pm
Quote:
I don't believe its just a Lubavitcher tradition.

I didn't say it was "just" a lubavitch thing, I know there are other who do it too. But in Lubavitch it is an accepted thing that most of the men (and, I learned this year, women!) do drink plenty on S"T. And that is why bubby (who is Lub) automatically assumed that the parents were drunk. It would have never dawned on me to say that maybe the father was drunk, bec. it is so foreign to me, I've hardly ever heard or seen it.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics