Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Where do you get your zmanim from?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 9:25 pm
After the first day of yontif, I started to prepare the night meal for the second day at a certain time, but when conferring with friends, the time they cited as being able to start preps was about 30 minutes later.

Last time I tried to go to the mikvah early, I thought you could dip at a certain time, but found that the time according to the mikvah ladies was about 20 minutes later.

I noticed other ladies light at a slightly earlier time than I do on erev Shabbos...

I live in Flatbush. Could someone link me to a calendar with the generally accepted times for these things?? (I guess the more machmir times...)

TIA!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 11:25 pm
We get a calendar in the mail each year from an organization, and all the Zmanim are clearly listed on each day. (Shkiya, candlelighting, Motzei Shabbos, etc.)
Any way you can get a hold of something like that?

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 11:28 pm
There are different accepted times for different people.

If you hold by rabeinu Tam, You end shabbat later, thereby also only being able to prepare for the second day YT later to.I hold 50 minutes, others 72, and others longer.

Friday night mikva, we hold 20 minutes after candle lighting, others hold till after tzeit. It all depends on your minhag, not your calender.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 11:31 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:

If you hold by rabeinu Tam, You end shabbat later, thereby also only being able to prepare for the second day YT later to.I hold 50 minutes, others 72, and others longer.

Friday night mikva, we hold 20 minutes after candle lighting, others hold till after tzeit. It all depends on your minhag, not your calender.

Agreed.
Forgot to mention that the calendar that we use is from an organization that we go according to.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 11:32 pm
This is a good website with different options.

http://www.myzmanim.com/

amother

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 10:48 am
OP here.

Mommy3.5 wrote:

ra_mom, I've been using chabad.org's calendar for my times. I think I have the chai lifeline calendar somewhere....

Mommy3.5, When you say "50 minutes" and "72 minutes," that's after shikiya?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 11:53 am
If you want the more machmir Zman as you said, that would be Rebeinu Tam (with Rabeinu Tam, Motzei Shabbos ends 72 minutes after Shkiya ie. 90 minutes after candle lighting.)
Eichler's usually has Shkiya calendars. Ask for them. The calendars might include candle lighting and Motzei Shabbos times as well.
Also, may Mikvaos sell Shkiya calendars as well.

hello

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 12:30 pm
I have a phone number (can't find it now) got it from kallah teacher years ago! still use it today

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 2:21 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.

Mommy3.5 wrote:

ra_mom, I've been using chabad.org's calendar for my times. I think I have the chai lifeline calendar somewhere....

Mommy3.5, When you say "50 minutes" and "72 minutes," that's after shikiya?

Yes after shkiya.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 10:01 pm
OP, I have an extra brand new calendar that has all Zmanim according to Rabeinu Tam.
PM me and I will mail it to you, or you can pick it up from me.
You may e-mail me if you wish to stay anon.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Nov 11 2011, 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 11:10 pm
I often call the Zmanim hotline - 718-331-TIME (8463).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions