Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
I forgot the salt in the chocolate cake!
1  2  Next

lamplighter

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 11:06 pm
It's for a party, can I serve it?
I'm embarrassed because I'm usually a good baker and this is for other people and I messed up.
How bad?

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 11:17 pm
get out the flour and this time do NOT forget the salt ... it potentiates the flavor of the other ingredients

for yourself - make some frosting to disguise the taste ...

elf123

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 12:00 am
Are you being serious, Greenie? I know it's late, but I don't think every single cake recipe calls for salt...or does it? (Yes, I bake often.) I mean, it's not like OP said she forgot the sugar, or the eggs....

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 12:25 am
if she wants it to be her best ... I would do it over ... if OP doesn't care - disguise it ...

but sans the salt it will taste dietetic ...

trying whip up a cake in a hurry I once left out the oil - it was weird tasting ... certainly wasn't awful - yet it didn't disappear as usual ...

pinktichel

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 3:46 am
I used to think that salt didn't need to be added to any baking. embarrassed Don't worry, Cookielady set me straight years ago... Honestly, La456, it will be fine.

StrongIma

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 3:57 am
did you possibly use salted margarine? salt does enhance the taste and it won't be the absolutely most scrumptious cake in the world, but it will definitely be tasty even w/o it.

momof5

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 7:45 am
I bake often and never put the salt in. I have yet to hear a complaint. Don't worry about it.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 10:31 am
I rarely put salt into my baked goods.

cityofgold

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 12:55 pm
I would agree that it probably won't make that much of a difference.

and hey, it could be worse. I've left the honey out of honey cookies before.

estibesty

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 8:30 pm
I always scrap the salt and im a huge baker

NativeMom

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 8:40 pm
I don't usually put salt into anything I bake especially if I used slated margarine and I notice no difference. I'm sure it'll taste fine.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 8:57 pm
Everyone said it was good but then again they could of just been being nice Smile

neverbored

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 9:02 pm
I don't put in salt either

louche

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 10:42 pm
momof5 wrote:
I bake often and never put the salt in. I have yet to hear a complaint. Don't worry about it.

That makes 2 of us. I have never in my life put salt in a cake and I started baking at around age 9. I assumed the salt was a mistake and skipped it. I don't even bother writing down the salt when I copy a cake recipe, and now my kids skip the salt when they bake, too. Baking powder and baking soda contain enough sodium for us all.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 11:26 pm
I think salt doesn't matter very much in cake.

lech lecha08

Post Fri, Nov 06 2009, 4:19 am
louche wrote:
momof5 wrote:

That makes 2 of us. I have never in my life put salt in a cake and I started baking at around age 9. I assumed the salt was a mistake and skipped it. I don't even bother writing down the salt when I copy a cake recipe, and now my kids skip the salt when they bake, too. Baking powder and baking soda contain enough sodium for us all.

I made my first dessert around that age too. Blueberry or peach cobbler. Everyone thought it tasted salty and we couldn't figure out why. Finally my mother realized that she never adds the salt when she makes it but hadn't crossed it out of the recipe so when I did add the salt, it tasted wrong to us.

louche

Post Fri, Nov 06 2009, 9:52 am
lech lecha08 wrote:

I made my first dessert around that age too. Blueberry or peach cobbler. Everyone thought it tasted salty and we couldn't figure out why. Finally my mother realized that she never adds the salt when she makes it but hadn't crossed it out of the recipe so when I did add the salt, it tasted wrong to us.

That is so interesting! Clearly none of us is quite so unique as we like to think. In my mind "skip the salt" is understood, and I also never bothered to mark it down.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 06 2009, 10:24 am
I grew up with a sister and father with a heart condition and we never had salt. it was very hard to get used to when I moved out !!

Shendellah

Post Fri, Nov 06 2009, 10:53 am
I'm so glad that I came across this thread...last night I forgot to put salt in my Challah! (I'm a novice Challah baker) I was really worried especially since I made 2 Challahs for my mom to bring to NY for my grandfather's birthday and 4 Challahs for my in laws and a bunch of pastrys. I feel a lot better knowing that it isnt the end of the world without salt!!!

louche

Post Fri, Nov 06 2009, 11:17 am
Shendellah wrote:
I'm so glad that I came across this thread...last night I forgot to put salt in my Challah! (I'm a novice Challah baker) I was really worried especially since I made 2 Challahs for my mom to bring to NY for my grandfather's birthday and 4 Challahs for my in laws and a bunch of pastrys. I feel a lot better knowing that it isnt the end of the world without salt!!!

I used to make challah w/o salt b/c that's how I bake, and it was fine. Then I learned that salt controls the rising, so I started adding it. Then one time I forgot the salt, and wow, I could really tell the diff. It's all a matter of what you're used to. Get used to it plain, it tastes great and with salt tastes too salty. Get used to it with salt, and plain is too bland
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins