Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
ISO: cholent alternative
1  2  Next

sped

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 4:47 pm
I would like to try to make something instead of cholent - maybe a soup or something like that? What would you suggest? We want something hot for Shabbos day. I am not sure if I would do it in a crockpot or on a blech. I have some turkey which I would love to be able to put in.
What do you suggest?
TIA

farfromhome

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 4:56 pm
since dh doesn't like chulent, I'm always looking for new ideas! I've done stuffed cabbage in a crockpot (cooked up first then transfered and kept on low till shabbos lunch) and I've done french onion soup (parve of course)

notme

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 5:14 pm
We do pareve vegetable soup and leave it on low. (we have a blech that goes over stove top) It tastes very flavorful by Shabbos day.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 5:27 pm
I used to do pureed veg soup in a crockpot. it was slightly stronger but not much.

Vegieburger

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 5:41 pm
I went to s/o's house and they served a curried chicken dish hot from the crockpot. It has chicken legs/thighs and carrots, potatoes etc. I don't eat meat, but everyone seemed to like it and my husband made his own version a few times.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 6:08 pm
I make roast beef with rice and vegetables, or lahmagine or chicken cutlets and potato salad, or steak and mashed potatoes...
You could make anything for Shabbat lunch.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 6:17 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
I make roast beef with rice and vegetables, or lahmagine or chicken cutlets and potato salad, or steak and mashed potatoes...

you leave all that on the blech/in a crockpot overnight or you reheat shabbos morning?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 6:32 pm
How about a mushroom soup? I can give you a crockpot recipe.
Or a rice and meat/turkey stew?

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 6:34 pm
Raisin wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:

you leave all that on the blech/in a crockpot overnight or you reheat shabbos morning?

I reheat it Shabbat morning.

kaye

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 6:51 pm
Could I have the crock pot mushroom soup recipe please?

sympa

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 6:59 pm
(deleted)

Last edited by sympa on Sun, Oct 18 2020, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 7:03 pm
kaye wrote:
Could I have the crock pot mushroom soup recipe please?

from KBD short on time:

2 cups beef broth
8 cups good quality chicken stock
1/2 cup baby carrots, cut into 1/2" rounds
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
10 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
1/8 cup dried porcini mushrooms
2 Tbsp sherry or vermouth
1 tsp dired minced onion
1 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried fennel seed
3/4 cup pearl barley, raw

Place all ingredients besides barley in slow cooker. Stir to mix. Then add barley.
Cook on HIGH for 5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
To make this a full meal in a bowl, add beef flanken to the pot.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 7:03 pm
ChSh wrote:
Gatherings (cookbook) has a really great crockpot roast. Rave reviews every time.

Can you post the recipe please?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 7:07 pm
Tebeet, which is basically stuffed chicken with rice? I use double-bottom foil pan and leave it doubly foil covered on the blech/oven.

If using turkey and a crockpot, you can do turkey neck soup. The flavour gets richer for during the day, there's enough meat on the neck and you can throw in other pieces. I also find turkey neck leaner than chicken soup made from carcase/giblets.

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 7:17 pm
I made mushroom barley soup for my hot dish last Shabbos, but it wasn't so fancy. It was barley, regular mushrooms, sauteed onions, water, salt, pepper, and some non-dairy creamer. I'll have to look up the recipe, but I think that was all that was in there.

scb88

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 10:00 am
I usually alternate Cholent (Gruenkern) with Lentil Soup (w/ meat). Make the lentil soup in a pot, and transfer it to the crockpot before Shabbos. It also freezes very well, so you can just take out from freezer and dump in the crockpot.

sped

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 10:45 am
This all sounds so great. I think I willgo with a soup - either a fleishig vegetable soup or -
imasinger, can you please post the simpler mushroom-barley soup? Thanks

frumshopper

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 12:15 pm
Does anyone have a crockpot recipe for overnight chicken soup so I can make it Friday and serve it on Shabbat? When I've tried to do it on the blech, the soup went bad and I don't know what to do to have it stay good in the crockpot for so long.

Thanks!

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 12:27 pm
I leave my chicken soup in the crockpot for Shabbot afternoon all the time. Usually I make the soup regular in the crock pot and (before Shabbot) take out what I need for Friday night and put it on the plata. I've never had soup go bad.

frumshopper

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 12:30 pm
What proportions do you have so it doesn't sour? I assume you keep it on low - do you add extra water or anything?

Thank you - now that it is getting colder, I'd love to start serving soup at Shabbos lunch.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus