Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
ISO: cholent alternative
Previous  1  2

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 11:40 am
I make chicken soup overnight in crockpot but usually on Wed or Thu night so I can skim off fat. I load it up with enough water, and keep a tight lid on. I start around 9-10pm, and turn off around 6:30am using the high setting. The only tricky bit is courgettes go really mushy if they're put from beginning so I usually put them around midnight-1am. Obviously the hours/setting doesn't work on shabbat.

Another meaty soup you can do on crockpot is bean soup with frankfurters (or merguez or choriso or whatever fat sausages).

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 11:44 am
I make baked bean casserole in my crock pot instead of cholent. it's basically baked beans with chicken or meat. quite yummy.

elmos

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 4:58 pm
We are not big chulent eaters here so I do some stuff that can be warmed on a blech or Ileave chicken soup overnight on the blech on low it gets a little strong. Other weeks I do in a crockpot rice with chicken(quarters or boneless), pieces of beef or meat balls. I also make meatballs and sauce or a roast chicken with veg in the crockpot or bbq chicken if you are intrested in recipes let me know.

mommalah

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 5:30 pm
elmos wrote:
We are not big chulent eaters here so I do some stuff that can be warmed on a blech or Ileave chicken soup overnight on the blech on low it gets a little strong. Other weeks I do in a crockpot rice with chicken(quarters or boneless), pieces of beef or meat balls. I also make meatballs and sauce or a roast chicken with veg in the crockpot or bbq chicken if you are intrested in recipes let me know.

can you please post the meatballs and sauce?

imasinger

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 5:57 pm
Mushroom Barley Soup

6 dried mushrooms, or 8-12 fresh, sliced
2 quarts water
3 T barley
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 small onions, diced
margarine or oil for browning
2 T flour
(3/4 C milk) -- or coffee rich/water equivalent

(If dried mushrooms, wash and soak.) Slice mushrooms fine. Combine mushrooms, barley, salt, pepper, and water. Cook over low heat 1 hour. Brown onions. Add to soup. Mix coffee rich/water or milk and flour. Add to soup. Cook 15 more minutes (or just put it on the blech at this point).

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 6:15 pm
imasinger wrote:
Mushroom Barley Soup

6 dried mushrooms, or 8-12 fresh, sliced
2 quarts water
3 T barley
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 small onions, diced
margarine or oil for browning
2 T flour
(3/4 C milk) -- or coffee rich/water equivalent

(If dried mushrooms, wash and soak.) Slice mushrooms fine. Combine mushrooms, barley, salt, pepper, and water. Cook over low heat 1 hour. Brown onions. Add to soup. Mix coffee rich/water or milk and flour. Add to soup. Cook 15 more minutes (or just put it on the blech at this point).

Yum! I can hardly wait to try this! Do you cook it on LOW all Shabbos?

imasinger

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 6:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Yum! I can hardly wait to try this! Do you cook it on LOW all Shabbos?

Yep. I keep it on the lowest possible flame. I'm making it again this week.

elmos

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 10:39 pm
I take my reg. meatball mixture which is 1egg to 1lb ground meat and spices and bread crumbs I shape them into balls and place in the crock pot and smother in sauce.I take marinara sauce and some plain tomato sauce sometimes to sweeten it I put a squirt of honey in I find the sauces with cranberry and tomato gets to strong. I make sure its got a lot of sauce so it shouldn't burn and we like it saucy If I put it up in the morning I do it on low and turn to keep warm for shab. if its later I do it on high and than turn to keep warm. I read that ground beef needs 6-8hrs on low and 3-4 on high.If you like to brown the meatballs or bake them beforehand to get some of the fat out you can put the sauce up first to get warm and than add the meatballs in and cook on low 2hrs and than turn down. Sorrry that the recipe is vauge I do not have exact measurments.

mominisrael2

Post Fri, Oct 23 2009, 3:39 am
I've done chicken soup in the crockpot for shabbat lunch too -- came out great.

Aribenj

Post Fri, Oct 23 2009, 10:56 am
Dh likes to make chili once in a while. It's a nice change.

frumshopper

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 7:27 pm
elmos - can you post your crockpot chicken/rice recipe?

Thanks!

octopus

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 7:39 pm
I know someone who makes a steak salad instead of cholent.

elmos

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 9:42 pm
I take one part rice and like 3 times the amount of water and onion soup mix with spices(garlic, onion, pepper) and occasionally chicken soup mix then I either use boneless chicken cut up and cook on low for 4-6 hours r so and turn down to warm make sure liquedy or I use chicken legs with the skin or even a whole chicken which I season with spices. the legs will fall apart a bit by shabboss morning cook on low 6-8 hours than turn to warm. Good Luck play with the spices your family likes and make sure it has water in it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus