Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Italian bread recipe needed

supermom

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 2:13 am
Anyone know of a good italian bread recipe whole wheat preferbly but white would do to.

Last edited by supermom on Mon, May 01 2006, 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

elisecohen

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 7:34 am
Neopolitan whole wheat:
Sponge:
8.5 oz warm water
1 tsp sugar
3/4 C whole wheat flour
1 C white flour
1 tsp yeast
Mix this and let rest 8-12 hours then knead in:
2.5 oz warm water
1 1/4 C flour (white or ww)
1 1/2 tsp salt

Knead, let rest 1 hour, shape into Italian loaf shape, let sit 45 minutes to rise. Bake in preheated oven (400*) maybe 30-45 minutes til brown and done.

Rosemary whole wheat bread

11/8 C warm water
1/4 C honey
1/4 C oil
1.5 tsp salt
1 T dried rosemary
3 T wehat bran
2 2/3 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C bread flour
2.5 tsp yeast
Either throw it all in the bread machine on dough cycle then shape and bake, or else mix the yeast in 1/2 C of the water (warm), let sit 5 minutes then mix in the rest of the ingredients, knead, let rise 60-90 minutes, shape, let rise 45-60 minutes, bake as above.

Seed and Oatmeal Baguette (2 loaves)
1 1/4 C water
3 T oil
3/4 tsp salt
3 T honey
1 1/2 C bread flour
1 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C oats
1/4 C chopped nuts
2 T each sunflower, sesame, and poppy seeds (or any combination)
1 1/4 tsp yeast
Either throw it all in the bread machine dough cycle or mix and shape as above. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes if in 2 thin baguette loaves.

Meditarranean Multi-grain bread
1 1/3 C water
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 C oatmeal
1/3 C rye flour
3/4 C whole wheat flour
2 1/4 C white flour
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1/3 C walnuts
Once again, either throw it all in the bread machine then shape, rise, bake or mix yeast in 1/3 C of warm water, mix in the rest of the ingredients (only 1 C more of water), knead, let rest 1 hour, shape, let rise 45-60 minutes, bake at 400 25-35 minutes

Do these work for you? I know my directions are kind of vague--I sort of bake holistically or something, just work by feel. I can try to give better directions for a particular recipe if needed.

binah918

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 8:07 am
YUM! Those recipes sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

supermom

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 9:27 am
thanks I am going to try them tonight and let you know. the instructions are as good as mine. so no worries there.

elisecohen

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 9:53 am
Enjoy. I love Italian style loaves; several years ago I invested in a long double special baking pan just for baking them (it wasn't really expensive, maybe US$12-15) and I use it constantly. I personally enjoy the crisp outside and soft inside, find it's easier to slice for dinner for the family, and stores well in the freezer if I make 2 loaves at once. Plus when I get really calorie-ambitious, I can make garlic bread, my favorite.

BTW, I often use the recipes above and just use all whole wheat flour; I just add some vital wheat gluten (can't give exact amounts, sorry, I just pour some in til it seems right) and they come out fine. Given the Italian bread shaping especially they seem to rise nicely and get a good texture with whole wheat; I've never had a failure.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 10:34 am
I don't know h ow authentic a bread you need, but we like this for Rosh Chodes and simchas that we make:

SAVORY FRENCH BREAD
One tablespoon dry yeast or ½ oz fresh
2 cups water
6 tablespoons olive oil
4 tsp Italian seasoning or basil and oregano
One tsp garlic powder
4 tablespoons sugar
6 cups flour
2 tsp salt or to taste

Mix all ingredients together – a bread machine is great for this – and shape into either 8 large rolls or several loaves and bake until brown. Great warm!

supermom

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 4:22 pm
thanks sarag I gonna try everyones recipes

my grandmother gave me a stone italian bread cooker. I heard that it suppose to taste as though it came from the store. I am eager to try it out.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 8:53 pm
let us know how you do!

supermom

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 2:56 am
you bet I will!!! Very Happy

supermom

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 9:48 am
elisecohen thanks for the recipes once I get some of those ingrediants in the house I would like to try ALL of them!!

For the meantime I used sarag's recipe thanks it is rising now a batch and half. When they come out of the oven I will let you know. Very Happy

supermom

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 12:18 pm
MMM delish. it was a big hit for me and my sil can't wait till my dh comes home to taste it. I change one little thing in the recipe in one batch (I made two) I rolled it out and put cheese and onion in it and then rerolled it. the cheese was dripping out. 8) thanks for the recipe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads