Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
ISO main dish recipe that uses dry red wine

TSR

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 2:18 pm
Hi. I have an open bottle of plain old dry red wine that will go bad if I don't use it soon. I would like to use it in some type of meat or chicken dish for Shabbos. Any ideas? Thanks!

greeneyes

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 9:02 pm
Mishie posted a really delicious chicken/vegetable dish in this thread that uses dry red wine:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....+rice

I made it for supper last night & I've made it many times before, and it is always really good. (Thanks Mishie! Very Happy )

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:17 pm
It's almost impossible for wine to go bad. It doesn't even need to be refrigerated...

louche

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:31 pm
Google on coq au vin (fency schmency for chikn mit vine sauce) or boeuf bourguignon (which I would avoid because it has way too many vowels in it. Loose vowels are very unpleasant.)

louche

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:36 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
It's almost impossible for wine to go bad. It doesn't even need to be refrigerated...

SO not true. ever heard of vinegar? It's from the french "vin aigre", or "sour wine". Wine doesn't go bad in the sense of giving you food poisoning, but eventually, the fermentation process that converted the sugar in the grape juice to alcohol will go to completion and convert the alcohol to acetic acid, aka vinegar. Wine won't go bad overnight like cottage cheese or fish left out of the fridge, but wine purists won't drink wine from a bottle that's been opened some time ago.

alpidarkomama

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 4:33 am
Definitely coq au vin! One of my favorites, but wine is a rare treat around here and when we have it, there are no leftovers for coq au vin! Smile

sunny90

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 5:20 am
If you want to maybe make soup for Thurs night that's really easy, you can make the Barley and Mushroom soup from Spice and Spirit--that uses some red wine (although not a lot).
Also, look up Chicken Marsala on the internet that's also really good over rice!

Ilovechoumous

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 5:47 am
we love coq au vin!

we also like this recipe:
http://www.channel4.com/food/r......html

it doesnt need parmesan. just do everything else. if you dont have everything else, its still good. we've made this a lot for shabbat.

good luck!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 5:58 am
I also use dry red wine for brisket or lamb. It goes nicely when you're slow cooking/braising any red meat. I usually brown the meat in a skillet after salt & peppering, remove the meat to oven-proof casserole/dutch oven/doubled foil pans, use the same skillet to sautee 1-2 chopped onions, add 1-2 cup wine to swish off the browned bits, add 1-2 teasp onion soup mix and pour the onion/wine over the meat and cook covered till it's tender.

You can also add red wine to meatball sauce. I use about 1cup (together with grated onions/carrots, tomato sauce, seasonings) which yields enough gravy for meatballs made from 1lb each ground beef and turkey.

Not a main dish, but you can also use red wine (either dry or sweet) to make compote--apples, pears, figs go nicely, you can add cinnamon or warm spice mix toward the end.

If you get cold weather, you can also go for mulled wine!

TSR

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 6:11 am
I like the sound of Mishie's recipe but I don't know if dh will like it. I'll ask him.
The Marsala chicken sounds good too but I'm just wondering if I can substitute Marsala wine with my cheap red wine. Will it taste good? Also, can someone post a coq a vin recipe, I can't get to those links. Thanks!

sunny90

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 6:19 am
I have used reg red wine for the chicken marsala and it was a hit! (with my dh that is) it should be fine

Ariellush

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 3:53 pm
Boeuf Bourguignon - lot of chopped onions, 2 kg. beef chunks, garlic if you like and a bottle of dry red wine. Cook several hours, or until tender. It is our favorite dish for chagim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus