Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Full supper recipes in the crock pot
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 8:34 am
ABC wrote:
does it make any difference what kind of chicken you use for these recipes ramom? sometimes I don't have chicken bottoms but have either a whole chick or a whole one quartered.

thanks!! we'll all be eating well this winter thanks to you!

It doesn't make a difference which chicken pieces you use. Just quarter the chicken before you start. (We just use chicken bottoms because we prefer them and find them more juicy.)

elmos

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:08 am
I make roast chicken in the crockpot that no one believes is crockpot chicken
I put slices of potato, sweet potato, carrot, onion and cloves of garlic pour 1/2cup to one cup water with theese veg only 1/2 cup if use some others may need the cup I spice them with paprika garlic pepper than I lay chicken legs over it and season with same spices can use others if you preffer and let it go on low for 6-8 hours minimum have let it go longer and it comes out great.

ABC

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 5:39 am
are any of these recipes good for shabbat lunch, as a change from cholent? or does leaving them on that long ruin them?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 9:57 am
You can make a rice stew for Shabbos lunch, specifically with short grain brown rice, which comes out really good when it cooks so long.

pink_nails

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:43 pm
Hey ra_mom, thanks for these great tips and recipes!! I knew I can count on you to help out here.

mummidearest, I've seen these pointers a while back on a different post and before I started this thread I searched for your post but couldn't find it! I'm glad you posted them again. I'm printing out all these recipes and tips. Thanks!

btw, how much water do you guys put in for cholent? and at what temp. do you set your crock pots? last week I put about an inch of water covering the beans, put it on high (#6 on my crock pot) till shabbos then lowered it to about 4 for over shabbos and cholent dried out.... should I put it on a lower # for over shabbos?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:46 pm
I like a saucy chulent, one that does not stick to the pot.
So I use 4 cups of water for my small chulent of 1 cup of beans and 1/4 cup of barley (contains other stuff as well). I start cooking it in the crockpot on LOW 24 hours before I want to serve it.
But if you like a different consistancy... I don't know Smile

superjew

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 1:01 pm
All I can say is YUMMM! Gonna use a lot of these recipe ideas!

Thanks!!

momaholic

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 1:08 pm
Thanks ra-mom for all your great recipes. I will definitely try some of them out!

Marriedinisrael

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 1:46 pm
There is a great blog actually, about a year of slow cooking that has a ton of great recipes. Most are adaptable to the kosher kitchen.
It's located at:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 6:35 pm
pink_nails wrote:
Hey ra_mom, thanks for these great tips and recipes!! I knew I can count on you to help out here.

mummidearest, I've seen these pointers a while back on a different post and before I started this thread I searched for your post but couldn't find it! I'm glad you posted them again. I'm printing out all these recipes and tips. Thanks!

btw, how much water do you guys put in for cholent? and at what temp. do you set your crock pots? last week I put about an inch of water covering the beans, put it on high (#6 on my crock pot) till shabbos then lowered it to about 4 for over shabbos and cholent dried out.... should I put it on a lower # for over shabbos?

yeah, it's an old post, so I figured I'd repost.

as far as cholent goes, I don't measure anything, I just eye it. though recently I've been using a baked bean recipe instead of cholent, and that requires a large can of tomato juice, no water. it comes out really good, if anyone wants the recipe.

reed

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 8:52 pm
When you get a chance, would you mind posting your bean recipe with tomato sauce. It sure sounds like an interesting change from regular cholent.

Thanks for all your other recipes and tips. I love to come home to fresh crock pot dinners. I don't do it often enough though. Maybe this will help be get back into it.

relaxed

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 1:13 am
Thanks so much ramom! Been busy with family wedding and sheva brachos but can't wait to try your recipes, they look delish!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 8:30 pm
reed wrote:
When you get a chance, would you mind posting your bean recipe with tomato sauce. It sure sounds like an interesting change from regular cholent.

Thanks for all your other recipes and tips. I love to come home to fresh crock pot dinners. I don't do it often enough though. Maybe this will help be get back into it.

baked beans

1 lb navy beans
1 48 oz can tomato juice
3 tbsp white vinegar
3 tbsp honey (more if you want)
dried mustard powder (I don't really measure. you can use a good squirt of regular yellow mustard instead.)
1 onion
salt
pepper
1 pack cholent meat/chicken

mix all ingredients in crock pot. leave it on high all day. don't bother with low, the beans won't soften. I throw it all in friday morning, high all day, switch to warm before candle lighting.

Boys"R"Us

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 11:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Saucy Meatballs
At the beginning of the week, or the night before, cook 1 package spaghetti as directed on package; drain. Drizzle with a drop of oil. Place in sealed container or Ziplock bag and keep in fridge until ready to serve with meatballs.

3/4 cup bread crumbs seasoned generously to taste
1½ lbs. lean ground meat
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup water
2 cups sliced mushroom
2 medium green peppers, sliced (about 2 cups)
4 cups (if jarred, use 26 oz. jar plus 1 additional cup of sauce) spaghetti sauce

Combine bread crumbs, spices to taste, meat, egg and water. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place in slow cooker, top with mushrooms, peppers, and spaghetti sauce. Cover with lid.
Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
Serve over spaghetti.

I made these today - they were GREAT!! Everyone loved them LOL
I will I"H be trying the rest of your recipes soon. I have just discovered the slow-cooker (for other than Shabbos), and am really enjoying it. I prepare the meal before I go to bed, then put it in the fridge. Before we leave in the morning, I pop it in the crock-pot, and it smells like I've been cooking all day by the time we get home - yay!

I have one in the fridge that I got on another site, which is Lemon Dlll Garlic chicken - I'll post it if it's good!!

Thanks again,
Debbie

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 11:26 pm
I'm so glad that it worked out!
Please let us know how the lemon dill garlic chicken pans out. Sounds like I would enjoy it!
I'm making mummiedearest's delicious chicken and rice recipe tomorrow. I'm so excited to be getting back into using the crockpot during the week!

geemum

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 6:41 pm
ra_mom and all other contributors - great idea - I'm going to take out the crockpot. I've copied all your recipes and going to try them out now that winter has seriously started!!!

Thanks

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 1:09 pm
Just wanted to add some more recipes:

Teriyaki Roasted Chicken
• 1 (3-4 lb.) chicken OR 4 chicken bottoms, skin intact
• 1 cup thick teriyaki marinade

Place chicken in a large Ziploc bag; add the marinade and place in refrigerator for 24 hours (flip bag over once or twice during this time, to let all of the chicken meat come in contact with the marinade.)
After marinating, remove chicken from the bag and let excess marinade drip off (there will be a lot of excess to discard.) Place chicken in the slow cooker crock, breast-side down. If using chicken bottoms, arrange chicken in single layer, overlapping if necessary.
Cover crock and cook on LOW for 6 hours; check for doneness using an instant-read thermometer. When done, let the chicken rest in the crock, uncovered, for 5 minutes before serving.
(I tossed halved baby red potatoes with spices and placed them on the bottom of crockpot before arranging the chicken pieces on top.)

Slow Cooker Meatloaf
Use your favorite meatloaf recipe. Then...

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well with clean hands to combine thoroughly.
Place the beef mixture into the slow cooker crock and form into a loaf shape. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
Let loaf sit, uncovered, for 5 minutes, then transfer it to a serving plate, using a large spatula.

To make this into a full supper, the night before or at the beginning of the week, cook up spaghetti. Drain and rinse. Drizzle with a bit of oil and toss to coat so that spaghetti doesn't stick together. Refrigerate in large Ziploc bag. Right before serving supper, place Ziploc bag in microwave and heat through for 2-3 minutes. Drizzle olive oil right into the bag. Add crushed garlic cloves, parsley flakes and kosher salt. Zip bag back up and toss to coat. Serve alongside meatloaf slices.

Herb Roasted Chicken
• 6 cups water
• 1/2 cup kosher salt
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 1 tsp rosemary
• 1 tsp thyme
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1 (3 lb.) chicken, rinsed
• cooking spray
• 2 Tbsp olive oil

In a pitcher, stir together the water, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and oregano; whisk to combine. Ser aside.
Place the chicken into a large Ziploc bag; pour reserved liquid mixture into the bag and seal. Place the bag in a large bowl and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
When ready to cook, coat the slow cooker crock with cooking spray. Drain and discard the marinating liquid, and place bird into the slow cooker. Rub the bird with olive oil, then sprinkle with some more herbs and spices (I only used parley flakes.) Turn the bird breast side down in the crock.
Cover crock and cook on LOW for 6 hours. When done, let the chicken rest in the covered slow cooker for 10 minutes before serving.
(For a full supper, place a bed of whole baby red potatoes on the bottom of the crock (no NOT cut them open- or you will end up with gray potatoes), and arrange the roaster on top of that.)

Teriyaki Steak with Peppers and Onions
• 2 lbs. London broil
• 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp thick teriyaki marinade, divided
• 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
• 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
• 1 green pepper, thinly sliced

In a large Ziploc bag, combine 1/2 cup teriyaki marinade and steak; refrigerate 24 hours.
After marinating, transfer steak (using tongs) from the bag to the slow cooker crock; discard remaining marinade. Add onions and peppers to crock.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. When done, let everything rest in the slow cooker, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Using tongs, move steak to a cutting board and slice it thin.
Spoon 1/4 cup of the remaining cooking liquid and discard it. Add the 1 Tbsp more of fresh marinade from the bottle to the juices in the slow cooler crock and stir.
Place sliced steak back into crock and toss with onion and pepper mixture.
(I used the crockpot bag rice recipe and added it to the crock one hour before the steak was done.)

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 27 2011, 11:07 pm; edited 3 times in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 1:16 pm
http://gfingf.blogspot.com/200......html
I make an adapted version of this recipe...

Imama

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 2:46 pm
Just wondering...no one answered the question about using any of these recipes for Shabbat. I don't like cholent, and am looking for a Shabbat-friendly crockpot dish that doesn't taste "chulenty".

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 6:30 pm
Adira's Ima wrote:
Just wondering...no one answered the question about using any of these recipes for Shabbat. I don't like cholent, and am looking for a Shabbat-friendly crockpot dish that doesn't taste "chulenty".

mummiedearest taught me to use the "keep warm" setting for Shabbos.
Slow cook the meal as directed in recipe (for examples 4 hours on "high" or 8 hours on "low".) Immediately once meal have finished cooking, switch the crockpot setting to "keep warm", and keep it like that for the duration of Shabbos.
This way, the food won't become chulenty.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics