Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
One crib or two??at what age??

hinda

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 10:11 pm
Hi everyone
Just wondering how long if at all-your twins slept in one crib.Mine are doing so mow,are fine at 3 weeks,but my postpartum doula says they can be this way til 5 months?? the guy who owns the baby store said most people dont keep that arrangement past 6 or 8 weeks-what do you know/what ahve you done-where can I get good info on this?

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 10:24 pm
remember - while they might be twins ... they are two separate little humans ... they need their own space and their own identities ...

btw congrats !!!

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 10:32 pm
greenfire wrote:
remember - while they might be twins ... they are two separate little humans ... they need their own space and their own identities ...

btw congrats !!!

Actually, twins with medical problems have been found to thrive when they are allowed to sleep together with the other twin. After spending nine months together in the womb, it is comforting to them when they are close to each other. At this point, they aren't worrying yet about having their own identity, they're too busy worrying about how to cope in this big, cold, strange world that they've just been forced into. I don't know how long is best, though. I know someone whose twins shared a crib for around six months, and they were fine.

Sleep

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 10:45 pm
I kept mine in the same crib till they started turning over. They are BH almost 4-and have a special bond!! I almost wish I had a twin myself!!

bnm

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 10:50 pm
as long as they don't bother each other or roll on each other or obstruct each others airways by flinging limbs you can keep them together.

hinda

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 11:45 pm
what age will they move and turn over and potentially harm one another?
Id put them in two cribs now if I ahd the space,but dont because we have bed for some night help we hired.Once the night help and bed are gone we'll be fine..

myfriends715

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:02 am
my kids would wake each other up so it never worked.. they slept together for abt 2 weeks .. if u wanna do it, do it until u see s/t negative like a way 1 can get hurt or 1 is waking other.. otherwise do it as long as it works 4 u

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 1:09 am
hinda, I asked everyone I knew with twins the same question and came up with so many different answers!

Ultimately, as you get to know your babies and see how they are with each other and what they prefer, you will be able to figure out what to do!

My girlies are 2.5 now, and they love to share a bed.

Apart from a brief biting phase, they were in the same crib at night until I think about 6 months, but for daytime naps I put them together always. Their cribs were right next to each other. When they were able to climb a little I was nervous so I put the drop-sides of each crib next to one another so they could climb over safely. I would often find them snuggled up together.

mandksima

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 1:44 am
Sleep wrote:
I kept mine in the same crib till they started turning over. They are BH almost 4-and have a special bond!! I almost wish I had a twin myself!!

Mine too. They liked sharing a crib and they had medical problems so I'm sure it was a comfort to them to have each other close-by. I can't remember the month exactly when we got the second crib but at least not for 3-4 months, probably longer because mine were so preemie and delayed.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 2:01 pm
I was too scared to let them share for too long. When I moved them out of my room (they were sharing a packnplay) I put them into seperate cribs, around 6 weeks.

Motheroftwins

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 3:11 pm
My twins shared a bed until we stopped swaddling them and they were able to roll over. They were together for almost 8 months and absolutely loved it! I only moved them because I was afraif of one rolling on top of the other while she slept. They never woke each other up crying or talking. We actually walked into their room and found baby A sucking baby B's finger. its too cute!
Once we did separate them, we found that no matter which direction we put them to bed, they woke up with their heads gravitating towards each other

toastedbagel

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 2:45 am
I'm trying to remember what we did - they were in one cot for probably the first 9-10 weeks until they started waking each other up. (Although for the first week, while still in hospital, they were in separate bassinets.)

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 7:51 am
My twins slept in the same crib until they went into beds except for one short period of time (a month or 2) when they were about 13 months and one decided to teeth on her sister.

Chani

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 11:11 am
Ours were together for several months. At around a year / 15 months or so, one of them figured out how to climb out of his crib and into his brother's (don't ask - he's the athlete of the family), so even though they would start out in separate cribs they always ended up together. We started to worry that he'd get hurt with all of this climbing in and out, and since it didn't do any good anyhow, we just started putting them down together again. When we moved on to toddler beds, they still always ended up together. Even now, in elementary school, about half the time they'll be in one bed when I go to get them up in the morning.

Imaonwheels

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 12:43 am
I have 2 sets of twin gc. dd kept them in the same crib until the older baby left his. They went into a bed shortly after as they are 20 mos old already. ds's twins were preemie and are still very small. Although they are looking for a bed for their oldest (3) and have another due any day. The twins may stay together and the older one will make room for the new baby.

Not twins but I twice had kids very close (14 mos) and they slept in the same crib for a long time after the 1st few months in a bassinet.

Mommy F.

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 6:19 am
My twins slept in a basinet together in a pack and play.
It was sooo cute!
Sometimes we would put them on opposite ends of the crib and they would wake up right near each other!
We seperated them when they were rolling over because chas veshalom we didn't want one to roll on top of the other, that would be dangerous. And we eventually wanted them in seperate rooms so they wouldn't wake each other up. Plus they were starting to exceed the weight limit for the bassinet!

tovarena

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:21 am
We had a co-sleeper in our room that both babies slept in (well, intermittently - both kids had reflux and DS's was pretty severe, so he often slept in the swing) until they reached the joint weight limit at around 4 months.

Once we moved them into their own room, we started them in one crib and they stayed there until our DS (our light sleeper) would get annoyed if DD bumped into him. So we separated them a little before 6 months.

ILMK

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 8:20 am
I kept my twin boys in the same crib until one of them started rolling, I think it was around 4 months. I used to wrap them together, lying on their sides, back to back. they would sleep like that for hours! When I moved them into separate cribs, had to have them so that the boys could reach each other threw the slats. Now they are in beds, and they moved the beds so that they are again next to each other.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more