Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Make your own chuppah??

Yocheved84

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 10:40 am
My cousin is getting married and would like to have a unique chuppah. (The place she had contacted quoted her $1,000 for a chuppah with flowers, etc.) Any suggestions? She picked out two talit that might look nice, but how to do the poles, etc.? Before I respond back to her with a "no way" e-mail, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any ideas or knows of "do it yourself" kits. If she's trying to save money, I could always suggest a gemach, right? But if she wants a keepsake, any advice???? shock

louche

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 10:57 am
Check the shul or catering hall--they probably have poles you can use. I once saw in a museum a chuppah comprised of one-foot squares that were decorated by the kallah's friends and relatives, something like a keepsake quilt. Each person was given a square of fabric to decorate as she saw fit. some embroidered, some painted, some sewed on sequins or glued glitter, and each had some sort of message or bracha. The organizer sewed them all together and added a fringe border all around.

If you want something a little more uniform, you could use squares of needlepoint canvas and have each person needlepoint her design, but that would take a lot longer and not everyone likes to or knows how to needlepoint, plus the squares would have to be blocked first.

If each person crocheted a granny square, the chuppah could be used as an afghan or bedspread afterwards. You'd have to make sure each square was the same size, though, and it would be heavy. You'd have to see if the poles would be able to support the weight. I would think so, since some chuppahs are made of heavy velvet, but you'd have to check.

Marion

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 1:23 pm
My mom and a bunch of the shul ladies made a chuppah for the daughter of friends who was getting married in EY and none of them were able to attend the wedding. They used the quilting square method mentioned above (only no fringe border).

I made my best friend's chuppah when we were 19. I wasn't going to make it to the wedding either (though I didn't know it at the time).

My mom and I "made" my chuppah...my sister had bought me a silk-screened wall hanging when I got engaged; I used that as the centre panel then created a border for it.

My mom made my sister's chuppah last summer.

It's not such a hard thing to do. Keep in mind that many fabrics come in 60" (150cm) widths...if you buy another 60" you have a huge centre panel with which to work...and that's before you start with borders.

freidasima

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 1:31 pm
I made my own chuppa it's really easy.
Get white satin, 2 meters wide and three meter's long.
get four broomsticks
on each of the four sides of the big piece sew a smaller piece which will hang down at a 90 degree angle
sew covers for each of the broomsticks from satin and then sew the ends to the points of the chuppa.
Embroider a three meter long piece of white satin with your name and your parents names and under that your chossen's name and his parents names and sew it to each one of those four corner.
Before the chuppa insert the broomsticks.
voila

Yocheved84

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 8:38 pm
Thanks so much!! I'll let you know how it goes!

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 8:43 pm
one tallis that will be the dh's ... how about a gartel x 4 for the poles and some ivy running around the pole between the gartel ... and some mini white flowers bouquets for the top of the poles ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics