Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Are you happy with where you live?
1  2  3  Next

Mommy F.

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 6:16 pm
Why is it that almost everyone I know isn't happy with their community, or schools or neighborhoods?
Is anyone actually happy with where they live and if so where do you live?

My friends in Israel complain of being poor.
My friends in town complain that it's nor friendly,
my friends in small communities say there are not enough friends for their kids . . .

I know that no place is perfect. It just seems like so many people have problems with their shuls
or friends. Some people are upset that they live too far from their family others are annoyed that they live too close!!!

There must be a happy medium some where?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 6:27 pm
I'm happy. But that's my nature.

coffee lover

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 6:37 pm
I live in a wonderful community - small, diverse, generally accepting of one another, lots of friends

No kosher restaurants at all!! But not a big deal...

I just miss my family a lot because they live several hours away...that to me is the down side...

willow

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 4:21 am
My mother always told me "you take yourself wherever you go" I find that to be true.

slushiemom

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 4:35 am
I love it. I loved where I grew up, and I love where I live now.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 4:52 am
I've lived many places and the only one that I felt happy with was Yerushalayim.

fiddle

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 4:55 am
I love where I live..im anti social so anything is good. I dont like the people I live amongst, but it doesnt change my feeling for it.

gem

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 8:59 am
I've moved around a lot. I lived places I liked a lot-- places I can say I was truly happy (aside from being too far from my family!), where I'd move back in a second if I were given the chance. Here isn't one of those places so much.

Meema2Kids

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:00 am
I love where I live. Small, warm community. Affordable housing. A few shuls to choose from. There is a kollel, there are good schools. I don't really care about restaurants but I am excited to try to new vegan deli that just got hashgacha. There are a lot of fun things for kids to do in this city.

We are a few hours from my parents, which is both good and bad.

3tammuz

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:08 am
PLEASE let me know where you all live. We like where we are living - small community, but feel that me may need to leave due to chinuch/peer influences. Love to hear about other places.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:09 am
I live in Crown Heights. I neve wanted to live anywhre else.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:11 am
I'm generally a content person and can basically make myself happy anywhere as long as I can live my life the way I want to.
Which works just fine where I currently am, community wise.
Am I happy with my physical apartment? Well, that is something I hope not to have to stay in for too much longer. (Toilet training 1 kid while the other urgently needs the bathroom is quite fun!)

What I like most about where I live is the simplistic life we can lead, without pressure for more.

MiamiMommy

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:14 am
I love where I live! So do DH and the kids!

chatz

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:17 am
chocolate moose wrote:
I'm happy. But that's my nature.

I think it has to do more with nature than anything else. Every place has its pros and cons. The point is to focus on the pros rather than cons.

How many people do you know who always have a complaint on their lips? Even if living in Gan Eden? And there's no gan eden down here yet.

I live in crown heights and am happy BH to live here.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:30 am
Mommy F. wrote:
Quote:
Why is it that almost everyone I know isn't happy with their community, or schools or neighborhoods?
Is anyone actually happy with where they live and if so where do you live?

I love Baltimore! The community is friendly, relatively non-materialistic, and people with different hashkafos make the effort to get along with each other. We like our Rabbi and our Shul (Agudah of Greenspring). Our neighborhood is attractive and reasonably safe (with help from NWCP and Shomrim), and we have good neighbors. Our foster kid's day school is caring and responsive. We even have an excellent Chinese restaurant. No place is perfect, but we are very happy -- come and visit!

chavamom

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:33 am
3tammuz wrote:
PLEASE let me know where you all live. We like where we are living - small community, but feel that me may need to leave due to chinuch/peer influences. Love to hear about other places.

St. Louis. Another poster has already posted her review (can I out you?). It's a "medium sized" Jewish community looking to grow. I am mostly happy here - frustration on the high school level, but schooling seems to be an issue wherever you go. But I agree that it's a wonderful, friendly community with tons of (mostly free!) stuff to do with kids and family. Affordable housing, people care about growth and not gashmius, a couple of schools to choose from...

chaylizi

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:44 am
I live in Detroit. I like it a lot. Although if dh cam home one day & decided to move to yerushalayim, I'd pick up in a second.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Nov 21 2009, 2:19 pm
I love where I am (huge community in Paris suburb), the only problem is that I'm not sure anymore there is a school for dd around... basically around there is a Litvish school, a chassidish school, a light charedi school but only the small classes, a strict MO type school and a JPF school, we planned to send to the last one but I keep seeing while the school is fine and the teachers are very frum etc the population may be not frum enough as a whole (= dd would be among the frummest and we would want her in the average). So... maybe we will move to another suburb where it would seem there are a few fitting places, but we need to inquire first.

It will be hard because this place has all the advantages apart from that.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Nov 21 2009, 2:45 pm
I love where I live overall. there are a few drawbacks, but I love the smallish yishuv that I live in in israel.

we dont have to worry about schools just yet as our daughter is only 1.5.

the reason we moved here was that the people are very warm and overall are friendly and we have seen that (due to a few different difficult events in our lives since we have moved here) people are wonderful and chessedick.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sat, Nov 21 2009, 4:45 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I love where I am (huge community in Paris suburb), the only problem is that I'm not sure anymore there is a school for dd around... basically around there is a Litvish school, a chassidish school, a light charedi school but only the small classes, a strict MO type school and a JPF school, we planned to send to the last one but I keep seeing while the school is fine and the teachers are very frum etc the population may be not frum enough as a whole (= dd would be among the frummest and we would want her in the average). So... maybe we will move to another suburb where it would seem there are a few fitting places, but we need to inquire first.

It will be hard because this place has all the advantages apart from that.

Wow, you have so many frum schools there in a suburb? Boys and girls separate? How big are the classes? What is JPF? Could you just pick yourself up and move to another suburb? What about parnoseh? Were you born and bred there?

BTW, how is your father doing?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics