Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Pumpkin pie cracked

tzatza

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 9:38 am
I just made a pumpkin pie yesterday (Libby's recipe). I took it out of the oven at 10 PM and left on stove top to cool off. When I got to it this morning to put to fridge, it had a crack on top. I always have the same problem with parve cheesecake. It doesn't affect the taste, but I would love to keep it looking pretty. Any advice?

greeneyes

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:09 am
I made one last week and the same thing happened.

louche

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:18 am
Personally I don't find a crack in the top of a pie offensive, but if you do, just cut up the pie and plate the slices in the kitchen before bringing it out. Many people in your position would camouflage the crack with whipped topping, but frankly, the idea of cold whipped chemicals offends me way more than an honest cracked pie filling.

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 11:32 am
the trick to minimize the cracking up ... is to let it kool down in the oven ... then transfer to room temp ... then to fridge ... nobody wants a pumpkin pie with a nervous breakdown Nervous

MiamiMommy

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 11:53 am
Put crumble on top to camouflage the crack. . . .

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 11:58 am
I don't mind cracks in the pie, I care about how it tastes. I've never had mine crack before, are you putting it into the fridge before it cools off?

louche

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 1:19 pm
greenfire wrote:
the trick to minimize the cracking up ... is to let it kool down in the oven ... then transfer to room temp ... then to fridge ... nobody wants a pumpkin pie with a nervous breakdown Nervous

Hey, that would be a great gag intro: For dessert, we're having "Nervous Breakdown Punkin Pie". "Whazzat?" "must be so called b/c it's really rich, and the guilt will give you a nervous breakdown." "Nah, it's loaded w/sugar which will give your pancreas a nervous breakdown." Nope, it's quite simply--cracked!

tzatza

Post Sat, Nov 21 2009, 7:32 pm
ha ha, greenie, good one!
I don't mind the crack, but was just wondering if there are any tricks of thr trade I am not aware of.
Btw. the pie excellent. DH and DS goblled it up.

greenfire

Post Sat, Nov 21 2009, 7:55 pm
so long as it was delicious ... but kool it down in the oven - that is the trick ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics