Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Children's place shoes versus more expensive ones
1  2  Next

greeneyes

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 4:33 pm
I have bought my 2 1/2 year old shoes from TCP before and have been pleased, but the pair she has now got worn out really quickly, which disappointed me. (In the past she was at home with me so she didn't wear her shoes that much, so I assume that is why I didn't have that problem until now.) I'm wondering if it pays to continue buying shoes from The Children's Place or if they'll just get ruined so quickly that I may as well just buy her a more expensive pair. What is your experience? Do the more expensive shoes last better & look nicer for a longer period of time? Or do children's shoes get ruined relatively quickly no matter how much you spend?

greeneyes

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 5:01 pm
bumpity bump

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 5:38 pm
I used to buy the $70 shoes in the jewish stores, and this past time I decided to experiment with The Childrens Place shoes. I bought my 3 year old and 20 month old each a new pair from TCP 3 weeks ago. So far, my 20 month old's have been holding up excellently if not better than their expensive counterparts. (he wears them all day).
My 3 year olds, dont look like they will last the 6 months his shoes usually do, but I think thats partly my own fault. the ones I got him had one little velcro to close the whole thing and its getting a bit stretched out already. as far as the soles and the insides, it still looks perfect.

IMO, even if it only lasts half as long as the expensive brand, its still cheaper to buy 2 pairs of TCP shoes as opposed to one pair of Teschers shoes, for example.

gryp

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 5:51 pm
I never buy expensive shoes but children's place shoes are the junkiest I've ever bought.

Reality

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 5:59 pm
GR wrote:
I never buy expensive shoes but children's place shoes are the junkiest I've ever bought.

I agree. I never bought shoes from TCP b/c they looked too cardboard like for me. But I buy shoes all the time from Kohl's & they are fine. I usually buy them on sale with a coupon & spend $13-14. I've also bought shoes from payless. Some are more cardboard like but others are fine. You really have to try them on & see if they are comfortable on your child's foot.

Maybe the expensive shoes "last longer" in the looks department but too often the kids grow out of their shoes too quickly b/c they were fit so exactly Rolling Eyes

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 6:39 pm
I could hear what you're saying about the cardboardy on some of the shoes, like these:
[url=http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_-1_575031_98732_61686|61649|61647_shoes|baby%20boy%20shoes|casual_shoes[/url]

what I got for my 3 year old:
[url=http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_-1_558033_88517_61686|61649|61647_shoes|baby%20boy%20shoes|casual_shoes][/url]

what I got for my 20 month old:
[url=http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_-1_557682_88576_61686|61649|61647_shoes|baby%20boy%20shoes|casual_shoes][/url]

gryp

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 6:47 pm
Payless, Target, Famous Footwear, etc., all lasted much longer than the ones I bought at Childrens Place. I bought 3 of my boys sneakers there once Pesach-time and they were garbage before Shavous.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 7:33 pm
From what I hear, their shoe quality isn't so good. Targets brand is pretty ok.

Marion

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 3:46 am
I've been happy with the TCP sandals (never tried the shoes). We bought DS#1 a pair when we were there in July which lasted him until after the chagim (3 months). If we had bought them earlier in the season they would have lasted longer...he just outgrew them. DS#2 got a much more expensive pair from Brown's the same day...his lasted until the end of October (a few weeks longer) and again, he outgrew them.

Usually I buy 60/70NIS shoes when I can find them. Still not cheap, but a darn sight better than 200NIS! When they stop growing so fast I might invest in "better" shoes, but right now the support is sufficient and they hold up fine.

zigi

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 10:27 am
I was very happy with tcp's crocs. they lasted beyond the summer. they are still going strong, they do have some leather shoes.

payless is also good, the leather shoes last longer than the man made the same with target.

for the price of tcp shoes. 25$ average you can get real leather shoes at landsend. also amazon has some very good deals for the same price. example primigi boots for 28$ they used to be 100$ the problem with amazon is that you have to look carefully for good deals b/c the inventory changes pretty often.

you can't compare geox to payless, they really last. they are worth it if you can get them on sale and your child is older and doesn't change sizes that often.

when they are younger having them measured and buying payless leather shoes is great especially with bogo buy one get one half off.

also when you are looking for
shoes check what they are made out of, some gap shoes are man made also gymboree,

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 10:36 am
zigi wrote:

when they are younger having them measured and buying payless leather shoes is great especially with bogo buy one get one half off
That's how I ended up spending $4.80 on my son's sneakers Wink

NativeMom

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 10:41 am
I've never bought shoes from the childrens place, I was looking at them last night.

Lately we've been getting him Geox which are more expense ($50-$60). He's had the pair he has now for a few months and definitely needs new ones now.

I've bought shoes from Target and Kohls and they always seem to last a lot longer.

brbs

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 10:55 am
I am a firm believer in buying good shoes. I have spend $40-$90 on most of my kid's shoes. However when I am able I usually got to the Stride Rite outlet near me and pay between $7-$25 for good shoes...

catonmylap

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 12:45 pm
The first pair I bought didn't last too long since the velcro broke on the strap. The second pair faired better & will be around next summer if they aren't too small by then, and the 3rd pair is still too big.

I think it makes a difference if you pay $6 or less for a pair of shoes (marked down end of season) or $15-20 or whatever the full price is.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 3:15 pm
I'm a big believer in good shoes when your children are very young. They are learning to walk and good shoes support their feet better. Cheap shoes generally do not (per our podiatrist).

We only get good brands - stride rite, geox, ecco etc. There are other ways to save money IMHO.

Marion

Post Thu, Nov 26 2009, 1:43 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I'm a big believer in good shoes when your children are very young. They are learning to walk and good shoes support their feet better. Cheap shoes generally do not (per our podiatrist).

We only get good brands - stride rite, geox, ecco etc. There are other ways to save money IMHO.

Your child should not be wearing shoes until walking is well established anyway. I got the impression we were talking about the over two year old set. I buy one pair of "early walkers" (ie, expensive) shoes, and then I switch. Expensive does NOT, unfortunately, always equal well made or good quality. If I'm going to be buying shoes every three or four months I'm going to do so affordably. (200NIS for shoes for each child is 1/2 a month's groceries...)

saw50st8

Post Thu, Nov 26 2009, 7:52 am
Marion wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

Your child should not be wearing shoes until walking is well established anyway. I got the impression we were talking about the over two year old set. I buy one pair of "early walkers" (ie, expensive) shoes, and then I switch. Expensive does NOT, unfortunately, always equal well made or good quality. If I'm going to be buying shoes every three or four months I'm going to do so affordably. (200NIS for shoes for each child is 1/2 a month's groceries...)

To me "learning to walk" is for a long time after a child enters shoes. Even when they are competent walkers, you want to make sure they maintain good support and proper form. I will probably buy my kids the good shoes for a while, but I can also afford to. I am lucky to be able to afford it at this moment. I only buy shoes with good support for me (unless they are shoes I don't wear much). If your shoes don't offer good support, you can get back pain and all sorts of fun things.

And I agree - expensive doesn't always equal better.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 26 2009, 9:07 am
According to the pediatricians and podiatrists I spoke to, the important part is that the sole is FLEXIBLE -- nothing about ankle support, etc...you don't have to shell out a lot of money to get flexible soles.

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 26 2009, 10:00 am
http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run.....66303

Anybody else see this book? I think the whole "good support" thing is a bunch of baloney.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 26 2009, 10:30 am
Fascinating -- thanks for sharing.

Actually I was told davka that ankle "support" restricts movement, and is not advised any more.
If a kid MUST wear shoes, let them be as flexible as possible to mimic how they walk when barefoot (really the best, but not so practical when you're outside among rocks, etc.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains