Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Cinnamon Bread

sunny90

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 5:48 am
This is absolutely delicious--great to make the night before and serve as part of a yummy breakfast! DH LOVES it!

Taken from allrecipes.com

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

INGREDIENTS:
1/3 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk (I use soy milk)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
(I add a splash of vanilla as well if I don't use vanilla soy milk)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. In a small bowl, mix together 1/3 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon; set aside.
2. In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining 1 cup sugar. Combine egg, milk, and oil; add to flour mixture. Stir until just moistened.
3. Pour half of the batter into pan. Sprinkle with half the reserved cinnamon/sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining batter and cinnamon/sugar mixture. Draw a knife through batter to marble.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap in foil and let sit overnight before slicing.

drumjj

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 6:00 am
this looks really yummy do u thinku could use rice milk for it?

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 9:07 am
Sounds like a cake that I make. I wonder why they call it bread?

Tamiri

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 9:21 am
Thanks, I love easy oil recipes.
Drum, I will say go ahead with the rice milk as the milk here seems to serve no purpose besides liquid/richness (no interaction going on, as far as I can see).
CM I am not going to ask...... LOL

sunny90

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 12:10 pm
Yes you can definitely use rice milk I often do!
I think its called bread cuz its in a loaf pan, and it can also be toasted and used as bread--yum!

drumjj

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 12:12 pm
I think I might try it next week for shabbos after ive been to tesco and bought some rice milk.

louche

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 12:15 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
Sounds like a cake that I make. I wonder why they call it bread?

It's a "tea bread," which is a hearty, relatively plain ,mildly sweet cake baked in a loaf pan and suitable for serving with tea, as opposed to a fancy party- or dessert-type cake which is fluffier, sweeter, usually baked in a round or square pan and often topped with frosting and other embellishments.

The cynic in me says it's so named so that people who should be dieting, but aren't, will eat it without guilt, believing, or pretending to believe, that "I'm not eating cake, I'm eating bread."

Other tea "breads" include zucchini bread, banana, pumpkin, sweet potato and gingerbread, all of which are really cakes, except gingerbread, which is a cookie.

And yes, they are expected to be toasted and eaten with butter or jam, but they're quite excellent all on their own.

sunny90

Post Thu, Nov 26 2009, 7:16 am
louche wrote:

The cynic in me says it's so named so that people who should be dieting, but aren't, will eat it without guilt, believing, or pretending to believe, that "I'm not eating cake, I'm eating bread."

Other tea "breads" include zucchini bread, banana, pumpkin, sweet potato and gingerbread, all of which are really cakes, except gingerbread, which is a cookie.

And yes, they are expected to be toasted and eaten with butter or jam, but they're quite excellent all on their own.

LOL louche!!!
Don't forget date nut bread.
These type of things are also really good for packing up slices and bringing along to places as snacks--much easier to eat than a piece of mushy cake. and generally more filling! I've brought either this or banana bread countless times on the airplane when we flew and it's very convenient.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins