Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Your oil, recipes, please?
1  2  Next

Tamiri

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 9:28 am
I have gotten so many terrific recipes here for baked goods using oil rather than margarine. TNT recipes! Two that come to mind are the Lemon Delight Bundt cake and the Mocha Bundt cake.
I am sure I missed a few recipes - or maybe more than a few!
Would posters who put up recipes using oil rather than margarine mind copying and pasting to this thread so that I can see them all? I am going to try and find what I posted to get this thread going.
TIA!

Tamiri

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 9:37 am
MAZOLA OIL COFFEE CAKE from cooks.com

2 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. Mazola oil or Crisco oil
1 c. sour milk or buttermilk (1 T vinegar in 1 cup soy or any parve milk and let stand for 10 minutes)
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Mix all dry ingredients, except nutmeg. Add oil and mix well. Take out a scant cup of mixture for topping. To what is left, add one cup sour milk or buttermilk, 1 egg (well beaten) and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Beat and pour into pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and scant cup of topping. Pour into 8x8" square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. If you prefer more topping you may take out of dry mixture a little more than a full cup.

freidasima

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 9:47 am
Tamiri, I make a few of your recipies and they are marvelous!
The only problem is that now I'm on a totally no fat diet, no oil whatsoever. So I have tried to substitute applesauce for the oil, putting in a drop more, it's not exactly the same but it's pretty good, and MUCH less fattening! Try it sometime, works great for cakes, muffins, etc.

And of course, I'm "living" on angel's food cake...

Tamiri

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 10:26 am
I can't remember which recipes I posted besided the one I put here and (I am embarassed to say) I don't know how to find what I posted.
FS can you tell me which ones so I can put them here? I wish someone else would respond!!!
I used to use applesauce in baking all the time, but since it didn't make me lose any weight I stopped. You can use a heck of a lot of applesauce in place of some of the oil before people start noticing a difference.

mandksima

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 10:38 am
I never use margarine and my cakes are great (unfortunately for my diet.) I make a plain vanilla, plain chocolate, marble, orange, banana, apple. Which do you want? Also, my muffins and cookies only have oil.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 10:49 am
I want ALL your great recipes so there is a quick and easy compilation here. I knew you'd shine through MandKsandGsIma! I want this to be a quick reference so I don't have to look anywhere else for recipes. The ladies here can COOK! And BAKE!

MommytoB

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 1:25 pm
I use oil (mostly olive oil) in all my recipes except frostings (you need a thicker consistency for frosting so it is not too runny). I recommend light or extra light olive oil because while extra virgin loses its distinctive taste while baking, you still might be able to taste it slightly. You can use extra virgin in recipes baking up to 350. Extra light olive oil up to 400. There are other oils that have a higher smoking point for recipes above that.

The conversion chart can be found here. I printed it out and when a recipe calls for butter or margarine, I use the amounts on this chart:
http://www.theolivebar.com/cms.....aking
Even chocolate chip cookies are yummy this way! Don't be afraid to try it with any recipe.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 1:44 pm
Levana Kirschenbaum has a few cookbooks out and she avoids hydrogenated fats. Her chocolate chip cookies and bobka are especially good (but I can't post in public).

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 1:46 pm
just to let you know, you can make almost any cake without margarine. I bake exclusively with oil, honey instead of sugar and wholewheat flour instead of white flour. I dont look for receipes specifically that call for oil, I just substitute what I want to put in instead.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 1:51 pm
I have only one cake recipe that calls for margarine. Every other cake I've ever made uses oil, which I generally substitute with applesauce.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 1:55 pm
I can't figure out why cake WOULD need margarine.

Cookies are harder to get the perfect consistency (still doable), but cakes?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 1:58 pm
100%. I was wondering the same thing. I tend to prefer cookies with margarine - and some types (like sugar cookies) need the margarine base. But cakes? Totally not necessary.

freidasima

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 2:01 pm
There is the coffee cake recipie which you posted here and I think there was a chocolate cake one as well.

mandksima

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 3:22 pm
Some of these recipes I think are from here and they are not mine but they are great!

Vanilla Cake

1/2 C oil
1 1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 C flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 C pareve milk or water

Mix oil and sugar, add eggs and vanilla. Mix dry separately and add alternately with the milk/water. 9x13 pan, bake at 350 for 45-50 min.

I usually melt a little chocolate and a few drops of oil for a thin frosting.

Cinnamon Zucchini cake from Tehilla

Preheat oven to 325.

Mix all these in one bowl:
3 eggs, 1 cup oil, 2 cups sugar, 2 cups hand-grated zucchini (grates very easily), and 2 tsp vanilla.

In another bowl:
3 cups sifted flour, 3 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp of baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt.

Combine into one bowl and put into greased and lightly floured pan. Bake at 325 for 60-70 minutes or until done. (I think mine always bakes less)

I always use a 9 x 13. Hand mixed.

Poppyseed Cake (Amazingly moist and good if you like poppy)

3 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 C sugar

10 ounces oil
4 eggs
12 ounces soy milk or creamer
1 tsp vanilla

1 container 8-12 ounces poppyseed filling (you can also make this but it is easier to buy)

Mix dry ingredients. In separate bowl, mix wet together except for filling and then combine with dry. Mix in filling and pour into prepared pans or bundt. Bake at 350 for 45 min - 1 hr depending on size pan. Don't eat all of it at once.

Brownies(These are your dump bars, Tamiri)

2 C sugar
1 3/4 C flour
5 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 C oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C cocoa
1 C chocolate chips (I use half white, half dark)

Mix sugar, salt and oil. Add eggs and vanilla. Add dry except for chips. Spread in 9x13 pan and sprinkle with the chips. Bake at 350 for 45 min or so.

Ultra Orange Cake (no eggs and this is a favorite from The Joy of Cooking)

1 1/2 C flour
1 C sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Mix and add:
1 C orange juice
1/3 C oil
1 T grated orange zest
1 T white or cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla

9x13 bake at 350 for 30-35 minute or till done.

I make a glaze of confectioner sugar and orange juice. Very moist and delicious.

Pinktichel's Honey Cake

2 eggs
3/4 c. honey
1 c. sugar
1 c. oil
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 1/2 c. flour
1 c. strong coffee

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together. Pour into greased 9x13. Bake until toothpick comes out clean.

Maybe later I'll post more TNT recipes. Chocolate Wacky Cake you can look up.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 3:32 pm
I haven't baked with or bought/used margarine at home for over 4 years. I bake with oil. There is definately a subtle difference when you substitute oil in margarine/butter recipes. Most people won't notice it but I know it. The cakes are "that much" heavier. I want TNT oil recipes, preferable where the original fat in them was oil.
I have a recipe that I cut out of Good Housekeeping in the 80s for the most fabulous pound cake. It got rave reviews, but I can't make it without the margarine it calls for, which is a shame. So, I haven't made it in years and probably never will again (unless I decide to do butter one day... decadent).

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 3:38 pm
Would freezing oil give it a hydrogenated feel (and if it does, the problems of hydrogenation Confused )?

Barbara

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 3:38 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Levana Kirschenbaum has a few cookbooks out and she avoids hydrogenated fats. Her chocolate chip cookies and bobka are especially good (but I can't post in public).

Why not?

The US Copyright Office re the copyright protection of recipes:

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

MommytoB

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 4:18 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Would freezing oil give it a hydrogenated feel (and if it does, the problems of hydrogenation Confused )?

No and no. It makes certain things easier to handle -- ie dough, however it is unnecesary. Best thing to do with pie dough out of oil is roll immediatly and place in pie dish, trim, and chill dish. Freezing oil IMO is harder to work with! It does not make it hydrogenated and therefore would still not work in frostings b/c when it defrosts, the frosting will become to runny. For frostings there are shortenings made only with non-hydrogenated oils which will work, but they are high in saturated fat so don't cook with them in general!

sympa

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 6:01 pm
me too

Last edited by sympa on Sun, Oct 18 2020, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

mandksima

Post Thu, Nov 26 2009, 1:12 am
ChSh wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
just to let you know, you can make almost any cake without margarine. I bake exclusively with oil, honey instead of sugar and wholewheat flour instead of white flour. I dont look for receipes specifically that call for oil, I just substitute what I want to put in instead.

honey is basically just as "unhealthy" as sugar, contrary to popular belief

In terms of calories, maybe, but anything is better than simple, refined white table sugar. You can buy unbleached organic cane sugar (a little better) or brown sugar (at least it has molasses), honey has wonderful properties, especially raw, unprocessed. Try a mixture of molasses, honey, agave syrup and date syrup or pureed dates too. No sweetener is perfect but it is great to avoid white sugar.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins